Opinion Changes V Collingwood - R9 Friday 13th May, 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

For this week at least, I don't think we lose anything replacing Martin with Sweet. As long as he can compete for the majority of the game we still have Cordy and Khamis to chop out when needed. Proviso: no more Cordy at centre bounces please!

Regular Infraction - this is a subtle troll from a serial offender. Trolling on the Bulldogs board will not be tolerated.
hey guys fantasy related question here. Khamis..what's his job security like? He looked really good in the first half last week but then went missing in the second half when moved into defence. Regardless, is he a good that the fans want to see keep his spot or is he filling a gap for some players and will be back to vfl in 2 weeks or something?

hey guys fantasy related question here. Khamis..what's his job security like? He looked really good in the first half last week but then went missing in the second half when moved into defence. Regardless, is he a good that the fans want to see keep his spot or is he filling a gap for some players and will be back to vfl in 2 weeks or something?
He will play until either Jamarra is showing form in the VFL or Josh Bruce returns I would say.

Agree to an extent but I highly disagree with your last sentence - there is absolutely no way McComb has shown more at VFL level than West as a forward, not even in a similar ballpark imo. I know there’s more to it than just goals but from the start of last year at VFL level West has kicked 15 including 3 goals on 3 occasions, McCombs kicked 6 and only once scored multiple in a game.

West has much more goal sense, much more presence, much better above his head and is constantly moved forward in an attempt to kick goals and win us games. McCombs never even been used in that role at VFL level, all his goals have been midfielders goals
You make a good argument with the goals kicked (I didn't know it was that discrepant) but from my viewing the bold is largely incorrect. At VFL level, more often than not McComb starts mid, whereas West (particularly more recently) often starts the game in the forward line. On my viewing, West actually tends to move into the midfield to help us win games.

Happy to concede that West has had more exposed form at VFL level on the back of your stats, but I wonder to what extent roles (as above) has had an effect on this. On the other hand, I would contend that at AFL level, McComb has had one more goal assist and one less goal in three games than West has had in twelve. There are some midfield minutes in there, sure, but there are wing minutes for McComb as well.

Frankly, I have been very unimpressed every time I've watched West anywhere other than the midfield (and even then, he can be selfish at times which really does hurt him). I haven't been particularly impressed by McComb either, but his last two games have been reasonable - and to my eye, his better running capacity confers advantages elsewhere as well.

Last edited:
You make a good argument with the goals kicked (I didn't know it was that discrepant) but from my viewing the bold is largely incorrect. At VFL level, more often than not McComb starts mid, whereas West (particularly more recently) often starts the game in the forward line. On my viewing, West actually tends to move into the midfield to help us win games.

Happy to concede that West has had more exposed form at VFL level on the back of your stats, but I wonder to what extent roles (as above) has had an effect on this. On the other hand, I would contend that at AFL level, McComb has had one more goal assist and one less goal in three games than West has had in twelve. There are some midfield minutes in there, sure, but there are wing minutes for McComb as well.

Frankly, I have been very unimpressed every time I've watched West anywhere other than the midfield (and even then, he can be selfish at times which really does hurt him). I haven't been particularly impressed by McComb either, but his last two games have been reasonable - and to my eye, his better running capacity confers advantages elsewhere as well.
That’s what I mean though - McComb starts mid, whereas West (and Garcia) spend proper minutes fwd even though they’re obviously better in the midfield too. McComb very rarely starts forward at VFL level, and has no real forward craft to speak of where it’s at least seen as a positive to Wests game at VFL level.

Agree he’s shown nothing at AFL level but I’m not really willing to base much of anything on either’s exposed AFL form at this point in time to be honest - I know there comes a point in time where you just have to perform but I don’t think Wests development at AFL level has been particularly helpful, but you’re correct in that his performances have also been poor.

I think there was justifiable reasons West hasn’t gotten a game in the past, absolutey. But with current lack of available options and McComb playing a mostly forward role which West obviously has more credits in the bank to be playing from VFL level, I don’t think you could possibly justify him not playing this week IMO.

I really don’t think McComb should be setting foot on a wing either to be honest - nor should West or McNeil

Feeling blessed that we chose to roll into another season with precisely the same ruck brigade that ailed us last year because, reasons, and fate has promptly replied; O RLY? How ya like me now?

Wild times.
I am sure the club would love to recruit a ready made Ruckman from another club and well as a top flight Key Defender. For example they chased Soldo of Richmond. If Chol and Coleman-Jones hadn't left he probably would of been traded to the Dogs.

Problem is that other clubs just aren't going to hand over these types of players over if they are under contract.

There is this belief that list management and recruiting players is just a walk in the park, but there are so many variables that go into it.

Martin out is a good thing. He’s nothing more than a warm body these days so we may as well give Sweet a crack.

It’s time to see if he’s up to the standard, there’s no excuses now. He’ll get the entire game in the ruck, they’re missing Grundy and it’s under the perfect conditions of Marvel.

Either we’ll know he’s not up to it or if he plays well then the coaching staff are not up to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Martin out is a good thing. He’s nothing more than a warm body these days so we may as well give Sweet a crack.

It’s time to see if he’s up to the standard, there’s no excuses now. He’ll get the entire game in the ruck, they’re missing Grundy and it’s under the perfect conditions of Marvel.

Either we’ll know he’s not up to it or if he plays well then the coaching staff are not up to it.
He isn't at VFL standard let alone AFL

Sweet should not be judged and sentenced on one game (not suggesting your saying this). IMO he should be played for 6 plus consecutive games before any decision is made to even drop him (that won't happen).

If Sweet plays well this week even really well but Bev continues to refuse playing two rucks going forward then next week English comes in to replace Sweet.

Feel like he is stuffed either way.

Sweet should not be judged and sentenced on one game (not suggesting your saying this). IMO he should be played for 6 plus consecutive games before any decision is made to even drop him (that won't happen).

If Sweet plays well this week even really well but Bev continues to refuse playing two rucks going forward then next week English comes in to replace Sweet.

Feel like he is stuffed either way.
This, he should have had the past 3 weeks totalling a run of 4 games to show something.

I dunno, I have a fair few criticisms of Bev but I can't recall him ever dropping guys who played really well just because of structure. He is pretty happy to tinker structurally.

Sweet's goal this week should be to just go out there and make it impossible for them to drop him next week. Leave it all out there.

This is the dogs board. You put down our players and club on other forums and then come on here asking a bull** question. ** off and don't come back.

So we know of four changes:
IN: Keath, Bontempelli, Sweet, Cleary
OUT: Vandermeer, O’Brien, Weightman, Martin

Wonder if there will be any other unforced changes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back