Preview  Changes v Tiggies

Remove this Banner Ad

Not against Walker moving as a one off requirement per se however I think you're underselling his impact. He's not creating a lot but his reliability down back means that Tarrant can provide drive as well as negating - something that we clearly lack significantly. Taking Walker out will reduce Tarrant's ability to create off the back line and potentially do more harm than good. If we see Walker as a backman longterm there is no value in moving him at the moment IMO. As part of an specific in game move, fine. As part of a stop gap to attempt to reduce bleeding on field - not a fan.

I am definitely being harsh as he has been very good in some games and is great 1:1. I just don’t see him as long term (ducks head). If we were top 2 and in contention, no doubt, but we need to think for the future and getting a 22 year Ben McKay in with Tarrant is the better move I reckon. Short term pain and all that.

Essentially I am saying make him the stop gap. Give him games as a forward until Larkey gets back, at the same time give the guy with the higher ceiling (McJay) 3-4 weeks. If clearly not up to it, drop, de-list at the end of year and walker gets his spot back.

Harsh, I know, but drafting 28 year old dependable journeymen as long term solutions because they are strong/experienced and ready is one of our problems. Should come in as back-ups of others fail or get injured.

arent the swans without JK and Heeney plus they have no ruckmen yeah?

I only know of JK and Heeney for them so far, I think we're lacking our traditional forward line, midfield, and to an extent our back half isn't 100% sorted.

We're nowhere near fielding even our best 22, let alone a complete second-best 22

Let's not gild the Lilly too much here. Yes, TT is classy and has X factor but he has had almost no influence this year and has been lucky to hold his spot. The surprising part to me is that TT actually looked quite good after he came back on.
Without him in the GWS game, with his goals, touches, we would not have won.

Probably hasn't done much beyond that though, some brief cameos here and there.
I'd be playing him though if fit, because usually when he gets his hands on it, something good generally happens.

We might just have the worst injury list in the league at this point, those that are out are crucial to structure and we've completely lost it.
I'm not sure about 'worst injury list in the league'....we certainly qualify for the worst 'dead wood on the list in the league' title.

We are missing 1 top 5 player in Cunners and a 20 gamer in Larkey. Yes he looks an outstanding prospect but the kid has played 20 games.

We are then missing a series of players that would be borderline best 22 in any top 10 team side - JZ, Maj, Jed, Sugar, Garner, Tyson - plus a few youngsters in WW, EVW and LDU.

What we dont have is depth - haven't had for 20 years.

Our lack of structure, once 1-2 key players get injured like Cunners/Larkey, is a drafting and list management issue - not an injury issue. Teams lose a mid and a forward on a regular basis - they should be able to be broadly covered by a well structured list.

So far this season this lack of depth has been compounded by the woeful form of a number on senior players.

Our injury list is long but we can complain about injuries, relative to other teams, if and when we lose a Goldie, Taz, Jy or Higgo.

I'm not sure about 'worst injury list in the league'....we certainly qualify for the worst 'dead wood on the list in the league' title.

We are missing 1 top 5 player in Cunners and a 20 gamer in Larkey. Yes he looks an outstanding prospect but the kid has played 20 games.

We are then missing a series of players that would be borderline best 22 in any top 10 team side - JZ, Maj, Jed, Sugar, Garner, Tyson - plus a few youngsters in WW, EVW and LDU.

Our lack of structure, once 1-2 key players get injured like Cunners/Larkey, is a drafting and list management issue - not an injury issue. Teams lose a mid and a forward on a regular basis - they should be able to be broadly covered by a well structured list.

So far this season this lack of depth has been compounded by the woeful form of a number on senior players.

Our injury list is long but we can complain about injuries, relative to other teams, if and when we lose a Goldie, Taz, Jy or Higgo.

It definitely seems to go hand in hand, I've made no bones about the state of the list so far and this year has exposed it's lack of true depth when tested by better sides/different sides or injuries.

While Larkey has played 20 games, I've mentioned before it's like the Waite effect. Once Brown's right hand man goes away for being his foil or secondary option, his entire game falls apart as the sole primary forward. Our structure requires a 2 prong approach with both firing on all cylinders, worked wonders with W80 and works just as well with Larkey, and you can go back and say the same when it was Petrie + Brown.

In terms of depth we have our share midfielders but either we don't play them in position due to lack of experience, or injuries. But we still don't have enough, we need more.

Need more defenders, need more half-forward/small forwards, need outside mids, halfbacks etc.

There's pretty much nowhere other than maybe our spine of the forward/backline that seems stable, but if Taz or Brown were to go down, it's all over you won't even win a single game of footy.

Don’t call me pal cos I’m not yours. So you think that because a player moves and speaks well, that will dictate the sort of player he is? Lucky you’re not a recruiter.
he lets his footy do the talking.. dumb ass.. Didnt he win the leading goal kicker in the VFL as an 18/19 year old? ive played more rep footy than youve had hot dinners.. you are a keyboard and armchair expert, pal

he lets his footy do the talking.. dumb ass.. Didnt he win the leading goal kicker in the VFL as an 18/19 year old? ive played more rep footy than youve had hot dinners.. you are a keyboard and armchair expert, pal
Yep he won it with what - 30 goals?

And yep I can believe that you’ve played a fair bit of footy. And it sounds like you collected more hits to the head than possessions (Obviously pre concussion testing)

This is the post of the year.

We have more deadwood than any other team in the league.

Our recruiting has been atrocious.

Massive clean out required over the next two years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

its on here live from 5:30am to 8am on ESPN 2 on Saturday morning.
me on that morning (and Scamper at the farm)
coffee-sylvester-cat.gif

Needs more Maj and Turner

With the focus on lachie this week I'm going for hosie in. Losing TT isn't good but hasn't been in damaging form so not life threatening. Gives us another chance to look at alternatives... maybe a direct replacement in wwalker or go for hosie and wood as lead ups and brown then have cz and ct and jmah as crumbing with a resting mid providing the rotation. Think also murph will be back in and hopefully Bonar turn assuming off hb. Also hope daw but sounds like he is one more yet. So if no daw, wood in for Campbell but if daw too then ahern out or one of jmac Williams or ats....

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

With the focus on lachie this week I'm going for hosie in. Losing TT isn't good but hasn't been in damaging form so not life threatening. Gives us another chance to look at alternatives... maybe a direct replacement in wwalker or go for hosie and wood as lead ups and brown then have cz and ct and jmah as crumbing with a resting mid providing the rotation. Think also murph will be back in and hopefully Bonar turn assuming off hb. Also hope daw but sounds like he is one more yet. So if no daw, wood in for Campbell but if daw too then ahern out or one of jmac Williams or ats....

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Walker hurt his quad.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

North Melbourne

Captain Jack Ziebell (hamstring) is on track to be available and Jed Anderson (quad) hopes to return after being a late withdrawal on Saturday night. Ben Cunnington (back) is unlikely, and Nick Larkey (foot) and Luke Davies-Uniacke (groin) will probably play another scratch match. Tarryn Thomas (ankle) looks set to miss some time, while Marley Williams, Tom Campbell and Paul Ahern are vulnerable. Mason Wood put his hand up with four goals, and Majak Daw is also pushing for selection. Aiden Bonar – in a new defensive role – and key backs Ben McKay and Sam Durdin continue to receive praise. Kayne Turner's not ready yet after only a couple of scratch matches post-injury.

Verdict: Ziebell, Anderson and Daw in; Thomas, Williams and Campbell out. - Marc McGowan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back