Preview Changes vs Sydney - Rd 17, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey team, a few on here were lauding Young’s game against North.

Just wondering if I missed something special in the 2nd half?

Have watched the first two quarters (haven’t watched 2nd half replay yet) and looked lost. Was not very competitive in the ruck and just lumbered a bit erratically in defense. Highlights were a couple spoils.
For a lanky 198cm 22yo playing game 19, Young did a lot of good things last week.. Big ask to play 3 roles forward, back and ruck and did all solidly .

The stats say 13 possessions (4 contested), 77% efficiency,, 6 marks (2 contested), 7 hitouts (4 to advantage), 8 spoils, 4 intercepts, 5 score involvements, a goal assist and a tackle.

Serviceable at worst

I was having a conversation about that incident just last night. I opined that if Buddy had wheeled around and found a way clear of a lunging Morris, then kicked a magnificent goal, we wouldn't be talking about his 'injured' ankle, but how gifted an athlete he is.

FMD.
True but just as easily JJs goal could have been awarded when remarkably despite the AFL instructing all the umpires to make sure the Dogs won they gave it a point

Was just thinking Wallis could get extremely unlucky again this year if we go deep in finals with a fit list (probably unlikely).

Add in Martin and Naughton, and it's tough to see how Wallis gets a go. Martin as #1 ruck leaves Bruce, Naughton and English as 3 KPFs. Adding Wallis to that mix just doesn't look like it'd work. In saying that, I'm not optimistic that Martin makes it through finals
Wallis could be the perfect medi sub

He is probably better when the game has less pace on

Hi Dogs fans,

Sorry to be lurking on your board. I was just wondering how secure you thought Garcia’s position in the side is - Especially with players like Dunkley to return soon.

He has looked lively whenever I’ve tuned in to watch the Dogs!

(Not ashamed to admit this is a fantasy related question).

Thanks in advance
I brought him in on the bubble in SuperCoach. He’ll be on the edge of the 22 but the club loves him so in his hands.
He does need to survive the likely return of Dunkley next week.
This time of year no rookies coming in have great job security to be honest but I think his as good as any.

If we’ve penciled Hannan in for the strong body strong marking quick wing/HF, could Croz play that role? Feel like he’s better in pretty much every single way. He’s just too good to be left out of the side
He has been tried forward before and hasn’t been suited

Not sure his body type is the same as Hannans for the blocking work.Think what they were getting Richards to do last year that’s essentially what they want Hannan doing and it requires upper body strength. It’s like a decoy forward but good enough to mark one one as well

Last edited:
For a lanky 198cm 22yo playing game 19, Young did a lot of good things last week.. Big ask to play 3 roles forward, back and ruck and did all solidly .

The stats say 13 possessions (4 contested), 77% efficiency,, 6 marks (2 contested), 7 hitouts (4 to advantage), 8 spoils, 4 intercepts, 5 score involvements, a goal assist and a tackle.

Serviceable at worst

Suffice to say after the week Young has had on BigFooty he’s game tomorrow will be scrutinized like no other.

I brought him in on the bubble in SuperCoach. He’ll be on the edge of the 22 but the club loves him so in his hands.
He does need to survive the likely return of Dunkley next week.

Thanks mate!
Had a gander at his VFL stats as well, and seems to rack it up.
If he keeps performing, surely someone like Scott goes first… (Jokes I know Bevo loves him).

Have watched the first two quarters (haven’t watched 2nd half replay yet) and looked lost. Was not very competitive in the ruck and just lumbered a bit erratically in defense. Highlights were a couple spoils.
I actually watched him closely in the ruck at the game and thought he was using his leap well at least as effective as Sweet but I haven’t had a chance to see the replay

Not saying he was great but can’t see Sweet doing better

No would not assume that but Scott isn’t returning from a knee reco
Toby has played 3 games and seems to be playing VFL this weekend. Even though he is returning from a serious injury and will get better, at this point in time Scott is favoured in that particular role.

Serviceable at worst

Young wasn’t a liability like that last game where he was dropped.

I thought he did a couple good things and took a ripper mark up forward. Wasn’t good, wasn’t poor so serviceable is probably a good description.
His biggest problem is focus. Looks lost a lot of the time and can spend whole games looking lost. He’s running out of chances to fix it IMO.

I wonder how much of moving Young around is related to team needs vs finding a spot for him. He is talented so the MC might actually be trying to help him find a spot and saving his career as opposed to ruining his career by moving him around.
He hasn’t really excelled in any position so far.

Young wasn’t a liability like that last game where he was dropped.

I thought he did a couple good things and took a ripper mark up forward. Wasn’t good, wasn’t poor so serviceable is probably a good description.
His biggest problem is focus. Looks lost a lot of the time and can spend whole games looking lost. He’s running out of chances to fix it IMO.

I wonder how much of moving Young around is related to team needs vs finding a spot for him. He is talented so the MC might actually be trying to help him find a spot and saving his career as opposed to ruining his career by moving him around.
He hasn’t really excelled in any position so far.
I like Young but I think if he’s going to make it he really needs to nail a role in defence. I don’t think he’s viable long term as a ruck or forward. Offering a bit of support in the ruck is a bonus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Serviceable at worst
Thanks for the obs

I’ve rated some of his performances. He was great against Brisbane but then he doesn’t look close to the level. Thought it was more like the latter.

As some have mentioned, might not be a better tall option available.

I’ve rated some of his performances. He was great against Brisbane but then he doesn’t look close to the level. Thought it was more like the latter.

As some have mentioned, might not be a better tall option available.
In the ratings things in the Hun and the other one Lewy was rated 5th or 6th highest, however they work that out....

In the ratings things in the Hun and the other one Lewy was rated 5th or 6th highest, however they work that out....
Just finished watching the second half. He was much better. The concern is that he seemed more comfortable in the ruck and up forward. He’s needs to lock down a role down back.

I fear he is still haunted by the backend of 2018 when we through him to the wolves as our main KPD. GWS and a few other teams ate him alive.

Toby has played 3 games and seems to be playing VFL this weekend. Even though he is returning from a serious injury and will get better, at this point in time Scott is favoured in that particular role.
Watched the replay this arvo and Scott did do ok Toby was only in and out. We need Toby for the run with roles in the finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back