Roast China Game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Conception

Debutant
Jun 10, 2023
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan has confirmed a report Sydney will host a China-themed game later this month.

On the eve of the match, the AFL is also set to release the book Celestial Footy: the Story of Chinese Heritage Aussie Rules by Patrick Skene.

Any of you want to explain this rubbish to me? We already have rounds for just about everything to the point the AFL have run out, so now we're using games?
And a game celebrating chinese culture? Why? What does chinese culture have to do with AFL? If the AFL is going to acknowledge foreign cultures, why not acknowledge Greek? Croatian? Italian? They have actual lineage in the game.

Can we have a game dedicated to the culture of the Uyghurs too?

McLachlan also flagged the league had been talking about having an AFL Academy for people of Chinese and Indian descent.

Is this in regards to Australians who have Chinese/Indian ancestry, or an actual academy inside those countries?

If it's the former, then I really wish we as a society would move away from this individualization that we do based on what people are born as.

Acknowledgement is fine, but to create certain subsections in certain industries purely based on it sets us back in moving toward a unified world.

The more we single out people based on their descent, the more you perpetuate a disparity in the eyes of those who see it as a justification to use it against someone as well.

Any of you want to explain this rubbish to me? We already have rounds for just about everything to the point the AFL have run out, so now we're using games?
And a game celebrating chinese culture? Why? What does chinese culture have to do with AFL? If the AFL is going to acknowledge foreign cultures, why not acknowledge Greek? Croatian? Italian? They have actual lineage in the game.

Wtf is a "China-themed game"?

Although you'll get a lot of "nothing to see here" replies in this thread, you are right in saying this is completely pointless. Of many cultures that have impacted or interested in the AFL, the Chinese culture would be insignificant and minimal in terms of relevance to the history of the game.

This sits somewhere between pointless, unnecessary and ridiculous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you would think there would be more players of chinese background at the highest level than there are currently

if a china themed game can make inroads to growing the game in the chinese-australian community than its worth giving it a shot
I think the point of the OP though is where does it stop? What other groups of individuals or categories of people can this apply to that needs a specific theme game for them?

Indian themed game? Vietnamese themed game? Korean themed game? French themed game? NZ Mauri themed game?

What about categories beyond country/culture, do we need religious themed games to attract people of those communities?

I think the idea is to generate interest in the Chinese-Australian market, since Sydney has a large Chinese population. Also, it's surely the single largest non-European ancestry in Australia, and let's be real, Chinese-Australians have a reputation for being rich. I don't think it necessary, but each to their own.

Stop sooking and watch the game. Does it matter if they want to do themes outside of this? Really?

I think the point of the OP though is where does it stop? What other groups of individuals or categories of people can this apply to that needs a specific theme game for them?

Indian themed game? Vietnamese themed game? Korean themed game? French themed game? NZ Mauri themed game?

What about categories beyond country/culture, do we need religious themed games to attract people of those communities?
im not particularly bothered by any of these if they represent a significant portion of the australian community and its thought that market penetration is lacking in that specific demographic

Is this in regards to Australians who have Chinese/Indian ancestry, or an actual academy inside those countries?

If it's the former, then I really wish we as a society would move away from this individualization that we do based on what people are born as.

Acknowledgement is fine, but to create certain subsections in certain industries purely based on it sets us back in moving toward a unified world.

The more we single out people based on their descent, the more you perpetuate a disparity in the eyes of those who see it as a justification to use it against someone as well.

Great for my future kids (Indian wife), not great for non-indian or Chinese kids who may have the same talent, but lack of opportunities.

Celebrating Chinese culture does not equal endorsement of the CPC. It's just a marketing stunt; if you don't like it, don't consume it.

To be honest, it kind of does.

The PRC is a bit of an outlier here because the country is run not like yours or many others, there is no separation of government from daily life/economy.

Every business has to answer to the government and must appease certain KPI's/demands, every institution or facility is off the back of the government, a government that is not elected. And most of what you deem as China, is practically a vessel (and has been since the war of 1949) for the Communist Party.

This is because the general consensus from such rulers since the establishment of the Communist Party is the rejection of many facets of past Chinese culture as an attempt to establish a subservient population who doesn't ask questions, who are easier to control/surveil, more prone to propaganda, and to make sure they do not find any sympathy/connection with the other China.

This is not something that is in line with the values of our a nation.

Nevertheless, there's "acknowledgement", and then there's making specific institutions specifically for a group of people based on where their ancestors are from. In any other workplace this would be deemed discriminatory (referring to the proposed academies).

As for something to "celebrate" that actually makes sense to celebrate (due to it not being off the back of how someone was born) why not celebrate Australia with a unity match, or celebrate Humanity?

I'm all for "celebrating culture" or whatever, but targeting one particular nationality is cooked. A blatant and insincere cashgrab.
"Lots of Chinese people here, here look at this china people! We ordered Dragon Dance before the first bounce! Welcome Chineses, you will have lots of fun here, now buy a membership!!!"

Dees did a game like this a few years ago, "Welcome Melbourne" it was called from memory, inviting EVERYONE from overseas who had found a new home in our great city. That was very nice I thought, didn't feel icky or artificial.

FWIW I really loved looking around at the footy and seeing immigrants like me around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back