Roast China Game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes. Are you aware that despite this, Aussies continue to have China as their their largest trade partner

$$$ over morals, why would the AFL have a different view

Sydney accepts money from Qatar so whoring yourself out to China would be a relatively easy step for them.

The Chinese population in Sydney is at 11%, the only demographic larger than this is “English” and “Australian” at 21 and 20% respectively. If we refer to people based on country of birth, Chinese are the second most prominent in the Sydney area, with over 550k people, with only Australian (obviously) above them at over 2 million.
If we were to look at the entire of Australia, Chinese is equal to Italian and German and above croation and Greek etc. only English, Scottish, Irish and Australian are above them in this statistic.
So I ask you, why are Aussies with chinese ancestry so underrepresented in our sport?

So as for the ridiculous comments of celebrating Italian, Irish, Croatian heritage first, as they had a greater impact on the game, did people of Chinese decent get the same opportunities? Or is it only recently they are able to actually take part in our great game?

This isn’t about celebrating the CCP. It’s not political. This isn’t some woke agenda. It’s about money… local and foreign investment and more importantly encouraging all people in Australia, and possibly to their friends and family abroad, to participate in our national sport. People already moan about not enough talent. Well why whine about something that could bring in oodles of the stuff.

Stop being ******* snowflakes.
Lets have an English themed round then

Folks, this thread is starting to head off in a bunch of directions that have little to do with the AFL. Discussing China’s human rights record is a perfectly worthy pursuit, but not for the main board of a footy discussion forum.

Take it to the “International Events and Poltics” section of the SRP board :arrowright:

Through that reasoning, what exactly does this thread have to do with AFL?

What do accusations of racism have to do with two teams kicking the ball between a pair of posts?
You could say it's related to the Hawthorn Football Club, therefore it's an AFL discussion. I don't see why the same principle doesn't apply here. The article in the OP states that "China’s ambassador to Australia, Xiao Qian, is among several high-ranking government officials expected at a sold out pre-game function at the SCG, as well as AFL CEO-elect Andrew Dillon.".
The AFL CEO is going to be sitting and socializing with officials of a fascist government. Is that not worthy point of discussion on the AFL Forum?

It's one thing to engineer an embarrassing marketing event targeted towards chinese people (spoiler alert: it won't work), but it's another to openly associate with a political entity with a proven track record of violent suppression and racial discrimination.

I don't see the issue?

China is a great nation. Tremendous human rights record. Never caused a global pandemic. Excellent trade partner. Nicest people you've ever met.*

*Can I please have my kids back now?

Through that reasoning, what exactly does this thread have to do with AFL?

What do accusations of racism have to do with two teams kicking the ball between a pair of posts?
You could say it's related to the Hawthorn Football Club, therefore it's an AFL discussion. I don't see why the same principle doesn't apply here. The article in the OP states that "China’s ambassador to Australia, Xiao Qian, is among several high-ranking government officials expected at a sold out pre-game function at the SCG, as well as AFL CEO-elect Andrew Dillon.".
The AFL CEO is going to be sitting and socializing with officials of a fascist government. Is that not worthy point of discussion on the AFL Forum?

It's one thing to engineer an embarrassing marketing event targeted towards chinese people (spoiler alert: it won't work), but it's another to openly associate with a political entity with a proven track record of violent suppression and racial discrimination.
Even though I was disagreeing with you on this thread. I agree with this statement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Chinese population in Sydney is at 11%, the only demographic larger than this is “English” and “Australian” at 21 and 20% respectively. If we refer to people based on country of birth, Chinese are the second most prominent in the Sydney area, with over 550k people, with only Australian (obviously) above them at over 2 million.
If we were to look at the entire of Australia, Chinese is equal to Italian and German and above croation and Greek etc. only English, Scottish, Irish and Australian are above them in this statistic.
So I ask you, why are Aussies with chinese ancestry so underrepresented in our sport?

So as for the ridiculous comments of celebrating Italian, Irish, Croatian heritage first, as they had a greater impact on the game, did people of Chinese decent get the same opportunities? Or is it only recently they are able to actually take part in our great game?

This isn’t about celebrating the CCP. It’s not political. This isn’t some woke agenda. It’s about money… local and foreign investment and more importantly encouraging all people in Australia, and possibly to their friends and family abroad, to participate in our national sport. People already moan about not enough talent. Well why whine about something that could bring in oodles of the stuff.

Stop being ******* snowflakes.
The Chinese don't give a * about our game and aren't interested.

It's just embarrassing that "we" think because "we" give a s**t about something that other cultures will give it a s**t about it "if only they discover how awesome it is".
They already know about it. And they've decided it's s**t and they don't give a toss about t.

Why does whitie find this so hard to swallow?

Whitie wants to think if only these Chinese were exposed to this brilliant game they'd be just as crazy about it as us because it's so awesome and we're so awesome.

Here the the thing. They do know about it already. And most of them have decided it's s**t.

Just accept they don't give a * about it.

It's like ur mate taking U along a to a country music festival or something .

Ud be like ok. " I've seen it. Experienced it.

And I still think it's s**t."

Then Ur mate getting offended about it cos he thinks its the greatest thing ever

Last edited:
Was a total shitshow.

Nobody went to watch and the clubs hated it.
The game in China was never about pulling big crowds or developing the game there.

It was about one thing only, and that was schmoozing rich Chinese businessman to get them to throw big sponsorship dollars at the AFL and its clubs.

On a side note, watch for announcement (not soon, but within the next 12 months) on an AFL match to be played for Premiership Points in the USA - most likely in San Jose, California where cricket is investing money in setting up grounds.

Reason - Pure and simple reaction to the NRL playing games for Premiership Points in Las Vegas (starting 2024/25?).

The game in China was never about pulling big crowds or developing the game there.

It was about one thing only, and that was schmoozing rich Chinese businessman to get them to throw big sponsorship dollars at the AFL and its clubs.

On a side note, watch for announcement (not soon, but within the next 12 months) on an AFL match to be played for Premiership Points in the USA - most likely in San Jose, California where cricket is investing money in setting up grounds.

Reason - Pure and simple reaction to the NRL playing games for Premiership Points in Las Vegas (starting 2024/25?).
I get it's about money.

But what kind of money, who for and why?

Do players need more money? AFL execs?

Just money for the sake of it?

Money for its own sake now seems to be the paramount purpose of the game.

The game exists to maximise money for those leaches somehow involved in the commercial spoils.

None of whom contribute anything. They are just bandwagon riders.

As for the NRL in Vegas.
Has to be most cringey bogan idea
ever dreamt up and just shows that thugs, crooks, organised crime and gambling interests now run the NRL and are slowly taking over the AFl.

To me Hutchie embodies everything s**t about the AFL and it's culture.

Worships US sports and Use culture overall ad the height of humanity. Has no feel for the game or interest in its integrity. Just sees absolutely everything as a commercial opportunity to be exploited for cash for a small cohort of leaches

His only "contribution" is he realised well before most people the connection between sports and gambling and he exploited that trend to his own advantage. He was a very adopter to sports gambling advertising as a revenue source.

That's his pioneering contribution.

He accelerated the rot.

As for the NRL in Vegas.
Has to be most cringey bogan idea
ever dreamt up and just shows that thugs, crooks, organised crime and gambling interests now run the NRL and are slowly taking over the AFl.

Like the AFL in China, the NRL games in Vegas are all about a money shakedown.

There's a reason why the NRL is proposing to do these games in Vegas instead of bigger cities like LA or NYC. They're able to put out invites to Business Execs, Hedge Fund Managers and the Silicon Valley Tech gurus and say "How about a weekend away in Vegas on us?!".

Get to the game, get 'em drunk, show 'em a good time on the town, then shove a sponsorship proposal under their nose.

It's just how business gets done.

The Chinese don't give a * about our game and aren't interested.

It's just embarrassing that "we" think because "we" give a s**t about something that other cultures will give it a s**t about it "if only they discover how awesome it is".
They already know about it. And they've decided it's s**t and they don't give a toss about t.

Why does whitie find this so hard to swallow?

Whitie wants to think if only these Chinese were exposed to this brilliant game they'd be just as crazy about it as us because it's so awesome and we're so awesome.

Here the the thing. They do know about it already. And most of them have decided it's s**t.

Just accept they don't give a * about it.

It's like ur mate taking U along a to a country music festival or something .

Ud be like ok. " I've seen it. Experienced it.

And I still think it's s**t."

Then Ur mate getting offended about it cos he thinks its the greatest thing ever
My mate's going on a country music themed cruise later this year.

To me Hutchie embodies everything s**t about the AFL and it's culture.

Worships US sports. Has no feel for the game or interest in its integrity. Just sees absolutely everything as a commercial opportunity to be exploited for cash for a small cohort of leaches

His only "contribution" is he realised well before most people the connection between sports and gambling and he exploited that trend to his own advantage. He was a every adopter to sports gambling advertising as a

That's his pioneering contribution.

He accelerated the rot.
I have to say it was worth posting this twice.

Should be stickied at the top of the board.

Do the NFL and EPL do themed rounds to attract fans and sponsors to their games?

The NFL aligns itself with every political cause under the sun if they think it will be good for business, and has spent upwards of half a billion quid trying to capture the European market since the 90s, and in terms of appealing to minorities in the U.S you don't need themed rounds when you have their advertising budget.

Do the NFL and EPL do themed rounds to attract fans and sponsors to their games?

Premier League teams just buy out foreign clubs and use them as an academy/feeder team for their parent club. Or play local teams in friendlies in the off season.

They don't need to do themed rounds, they just accumulate parasites.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back