Roast China Game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Through that reasoning, what exactly does this thread have to do with AFL?

What do accusations of racism have to do with two teams kicking the ball between a pair of posts?
You could say it's related to the Hawthorn Football Club, therefore it's an AFL discussion. I don't see why the same principle doesn't apply here. The article in the OP states that "China’s ambassador to Australia, Xiao Qian, is among several high-ranking government officials expected at a sold out pre-game function at the SCG, as well as AFL CEO-elect Andrew Dillon.".
The AFL CEO is going to be sitting and socializing with officials of a fascist government. Is that not worthy point of discussion on the AFL Forum?

It's one thing to engineer an embarrassing marketing event targeted towards chinese people (spoiler alert: it won't work), but it's another to openly associate with a political entity with a proven track record of violent suppression and racial discrimination.
A lot of very ignorant posts here.
It’s a good ploy by the afl/ Sydney and to be commended but probably goes well over the heads of your average work a day joes here.
First there is the commercial aspect. Ports push into China was ended prematurely by geopolitical circumstances but we did net MG as a major sponsor out of it.
Second is soft diplomacy. Port’s China game had our pm Turnbull sitting down having a beer and a feed with China’s no2 Le Kegiang. Pretty important for trade and regional/ global security while others are beating the drums of war.
Port Adelaide to Shanghai: Sports diplomacy and the long road ahead | Lowy Institute.
Third is gaining new markets/ supporters. I have lived in China for a good number of years and have stopped being surprised by random Chinese people asking me who I barrack for in the afl. A random taxi driver in a remote city even asked if I followed port or the crows when he learnt I was from Adelaide in Aodaliya. He told me wingard was his favourite port player and that port were a good traditional club unlike the crows. Turns out he was a mad keen Dee’s supporter and had gotten into afl after attending a few afl games whilst visiting his daughter who was studying medicine in Melbourne. He even took me to a local pub that played afl games.
And when living in the states in the 80’s a local school friends dad used to take my dad to a local tavern every Tuesday night for vfl night. He had become keen on vfl during his shore stay in Australia during the Vietnam war.
Surprisingly some of these afl promotions to foreigners in au do work

A lot of very ignorant posts here.
It’s a good ploy by the afl/ Sydney and to be commended but probably goes well over the heads of your average work a day joes here.
First there is the commercial aspect. Ports push into China was ended prematurely by geopolitical circumstances but we did net MG as a major sponsor out of it.
Second is soft diplomacy. Port’s China game had our pm Turnbull sitting down having a beer and a feed with China’s no2 Le Kegiang. Pretty important for trade and regional/ global security while others are beating the drums of war.
Port Adelaide to Shanghai: Sports diplomacy and the long road ahead | Lowy Institute.
Third is gaining new markets/ supporters. I have lived in China for a good number of years and have stopped being surprised by random Chinese people asking me who I barrack for in the afl. A random taxi driver in a remote city even asked if I followed port or the crows when he learnt I was from Adelaide in Aodaliya. He told me wingard was his favourite port player and that port were a good traditional club unlike the crows. Turns out he was a mad keen Dee’s supporter and had gotten into afl after attending a few afl games whilst visiting his daughter who was studying medicine in Melbourne. He even took me to a local pub that played afl games.
And when living in the states in the 80’s a local school friends dad used to take my dad to a local tavern every Tuesday night for vfl night. He had become keen on vfl during his shore stay in Australia during the Vietnam war.
Surprisingly some of these afl promotions to foreigners in au do work

Yeah agreed, there are lots of posts from people here who have clearly never lived outside of Australia.

I remember watching Port Adelaide play the Western Bulldogs at the Oval in London back in 2012, went with a bunch of English mates, they loved it and most ended up following the Bulldogs after it - it was also nice of the two teams to have a punch on during the game, really helped sell it!

The AFL is never going to grow quickly outside of Australia, especially when compared to a global sport like Association Football, and it's folly to even try to compare them. But it is growing and will continue to do so slowly.

In China epl and nba are the two big sports and people tend to follow a player more so than a club. Afl can never hope to challenge these 2 but as a spectacle afl is far superior and gaining a tiny foothold in foreign markets like this is huge for selling tv rights. In the states we watched vfl on cable tv. In China and Bali pubs would get foxtel subscriptions. The only Chinese people who knew anything about afl had become interested in it while living/ visiting au but they had taken that interest home.
The only way the afl could get more recognition in China would be if a good Chinese player was to emerge at one of the afl clubs, which is highly unlikely due to minuscule participation rates. I think port had a couple of Chinese players training on their list at one stage or if a very wealthy, connected Chinese businessman got interested in Aussie rules
How Port Adelaide's crazy plan to sell AFL to China paid off

In China epl and nba are the two big sports and people tend to follow a player more so than a club. Afl can never hope to challenge these 2 but as a spectacle afl is far superior and gaining a tiny foothold in foreign markets like this is huge for selling tv rights. In the states we watched vfl on cable tv. In China and Bali pubs would get foxtel subscriptions. The only Chinese people who knew anything about afl had become interested in it while living/ visiting au but they had taken that interest home.
The only way the afl could get more recognition in China would be if a good Chinese player was to emerge at one of the afl clubs, which is highly unlikely due to minuscule participation rates. I think port had a couple of Chinese players training on their list at one stage or if a very wealthy, connected Chinese businessman got interested in Aussie rules
How Port Adelaide's crazy plan to sell AFL to China paid off

If a prominent Chinese athlete got onto an AFL list, their membership would probably double overnight.

Not sure if it'll ever happen, but it's got a massive upside.

You’re comparing AFL with the world game? Terrible comparison.
The NFL isn't a world game and they don't need themed rounds
Premier League teams just buy out foreign clubs and use them as an academy/feeder team for their parent club. Or play local teams in friendlies in the off season.

They don't need to do themed rounds, they just accumulate parasites.
So the answer is no

If a prominent Chinese athlete got onto an AFL list, their membership would probably double overnight.

Most Chinese are not interested in sport apart from the gambling angle
Look what happened recently with Chinese snooker players and gambling

There are half a dozen European clubs that have 100mil+ fans within China.

An AFL club with 1/100th of that would be the most supported AFL club in the world.

Again, I don't know if that'd ever happen, but it does explain why the AFL and some of the clubs are making attempts.

It's a really, really big market.

If the AFL is going to acknowledge foreign cultures, why not acknowledge Greek? Croatian? Italian?

Can we have a game dedicated to the culture of the Uyghurs too?

That is a good idea.
We should celebrate different cultures through themed AFL games more often.
It can be used as a marketing tool for the AFL to get more viewers/participants, and a social responsibility teaching the meatheads that other cultures have their good points too.

Eileen Gu is a good example. Doesn’t even need to be full blood or a Chinese citizen. Yao Ming was on billboards & tv everywhere. NBA would have little popularity in China if not for him. Both national heroes.

That is a good idea.
We should celebrate different cultures through themed AFL games more often.
It can be used as a marketing tool for the AFL to get more viewers/participants, and a social responsibility teaching the meatheads that other cultures have their good points too.
Kinda like what’s happening with this china round? Yes good 👍 idea.

Wow. You sound like the chairman of the ccp, speaking for everyone of Chinese heritage. You really know how most of the 1.3 billion Chinese think and feel? Or you just spewing out an uneducated opinion?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are half a dozen European clubs that have 100mil+ fans within China.

An AFL club with 1/100th of that would be the most supported AFL club in the world.

Again, I don't know if that'd ever happen, but it does explain why the AFL and some of the clubs are making attempts.

It's a really, really big market.
He’s just spewing out bigoted bs. ChInEsE = BaD.

Wow. You sound like the chairman of the ccp, speaking for everyone of Chinese heritage. You really know how most of the 1.3 billion Chinese think and feel? Or you just spewing out an uneducated opinion?
I have worked in China have you?
I know what they are like to work with do you?
He’s just spewing out bigoted bs. ChInEsE = BaD.
Tell us about your experiences working in China?
Tell us about your experiences working overseas?

Would just do that if only one could. There are overt political messages everywhere in the AFL industry.
You know what time games start. The app tells you exactly when the quarter time breaks will end. If you're not interested in the other crap you don't have to watch.

I have worked in China have you?
I know what they are like to work with do you?

Tell us about your experiences working in China?
Tell us about your experiences working overseas?
I work with 90% Chinese clients. I have lived overseas for the last past 8 years. Many of my clients have shown a great interest in sport. Many have shown a great interest in our sport. Many dream of moving, working and living in Australia. Many ask me how best to fit into our culture. My answer is always “pick a football team, and learn the game”.
I have many in depth discussions about AFL with many Chinese nationals.

Your “gotcha” moment backfired. Jog on you flog.

You know what time games start. The app tells you exactly when the quarter time breaks will end. If you're not interested in the other crap you don't have to watch.
It's all over teams jumpers, in game advertisements, announcements. Don't be so naive. It's subliminal (and not so subliminal) social engineering. Screenshot_20230623_093608.jpg Screenshot_20230623_093458.jpg

Last edited:
Whether one agrees with these issues or not you can't say these are not political messages. If you say they're not, then there should be no problem having an Anglo-Saxon, Christian, traditional family values round? Cue the outrage!!

Whether one agrees with these issues or not you can't say these are not political messages. If you say they're not, then there should be no problem having an Anglo-Saxon, Christian, traditional family values round? Cue the outrage!!
There is no problem. Feel free to start the process of getting one going.
If Sheedy was somehow able to make 'Country Round' or whatever the * it is a thing, it shouldn't be too hard do

Remove this Banner Ad

Back