Toast Chris Mayne's a Legend. Re-signed until 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm getting a bit of deja vu all over again.

Thoughts Quicky ?

He does have a nice mane.

I thought i'd copied Pie eyed for a second there! Happy for it to be given a second run haha.

I am still not on the Mayne train. I doubt his stats are that much better than say a Blair despite playing more games than Blair.

However after watching him over the past few weeks, think I know why Bucks selects him. Based on what I have seen, I think his role is to protect the corridor. I don't have access to heat maps but it would be interesting to see over a few games and to also to compare with Phillips heat map from Saturday night.

Last edited:
I am still not on the Mayne train. I doubt his stats are that much better than say a Blair despite playing more games than Blair.

However after watching him over the past few weeks, think I know why Bucks selects him. Based on what I have seen, I think his role is to protect the corridor. I don't have access to heat maps but it would be interesting to see over a few games and to also to compare with Phillips heat map from Saturday night.
not that stats are everything but his avg 17.5 a game and he seems* to make the right decisions . I think coming into the side this year with no expectations from anyone after last season he has played his role. I think it's his salary that has frustrated everyone if we were paying him say $300K no one would say a word. kudos to him for getting $500K.. shame he hasn't converted slightly better with 3.10.. he kicks those 2 goals last week and we beat Sydney.

not that stats are everything but his avg 17.5 a game and he seems* to make the right decisions . I think coming into the side this year with no expectations from anyone after last season he has played his role. I think it's his salary that has frustrated everyone if we were paying him say $300K no one would say a word. kudos to him for getting $500K.. shame he hasn't converted slightly better with 3.10.. he kicks those 2 goals last week and we beat Sydney.
I rarely if ever base my assessment on salary as I am not sucked in by media or BF reports re salary but do take into account he is a 190 game player and that is where expectations might be higher than a say 50 gamer or less.

Just because you always ask nicely :p

Mayne season to date :

AD221D9F-6FE4-45E3-A1E6-8CEFC89CABE6.png

Phillips for Sat night :

C3364934-1574-477F-BD1F-6DF06B0893BC.png

Collingwood
Chris Mayne has become one of Collingwood’s most reliable players after a difficult first season with the Magpies
JON RALPH, Herald Sun
5 minutes ago
Subscriber only

His offence was believing Collingwood had faith in his particular brand of football — a high-intensity, high-tackling defence-based game — enough to sign him for four years at $500,000 a season.

Instead he languished in the VFL as fan anger grew, then after just three games he had to watch on as the club questioned the manner of his recruitment in the post-season.

On Saturday, the former Fremantle player, a 29-year-old vegan and fiance to model Britt Nicholas, will run onto the MCG as a valued member of Collingwood’s midfield core after stringing together 15 consecutive games.

Hero?

Not quite yet, but those who know Mayne well could not be more thrilled for a player who has always done it the hard way.

Born with a cleft lip and palate that required major operations and years of speech therapy, Mayne found his way on to the Fremantle list through hard work rather than sheer talent.

As his first season at Collingwood turned into a nightmare, it was his work with less fortunate kids as a Starlight Foundation ambassador that sustained him.

7c5b69227e3d9b2a29e7a0c4e5efbaca

Chris Mayne lays a strong tackle on Luke McDonald. Picture: AAP

Then after the Pies briefly pondered trading him back to Fremantle after coach Nathan Buckley said they had a “decision” to make on a player with $1.5 million left on his contract, he turned back to what he knew best.

Hard work.

While other players holidayed he stayed at home, worked on his aerobic capacity, stripped 3-5kg from an already lean frame and turned himself into a wingman.

Former captain Matthew Pavlich, who will attend Mayne and Nicholas’ wedding in October, has so much admiration for a player who has never had it easy.

“It was a very challenging year for him personally with everything that was going on,” Pavlich told the Herald Sun this week.

“I think he really had to look inside himself and look at the people around him at the footy club, and work out where his allies were.

fb4afe52223fa79723509a9318159ee2

Mayne worked hard in the off-season to turn himself into a wingman. Picture: Michael Klein

“He didn’t have a huge amount. It’s great he’s finally got an opportunity and he’s playing well.

“You can see Nathan Buckley has made a whole heap of changes to his approach and Chris is one of the beneficiaries.

“That relationship (with Buckley) needed mending and it is a credit to both of them they have been able to put it behind them and make it successful.”

Mayne could have been forgiven for spending his season in the VFL last year believing he had been sold a pup.

Considering his options at the end of 2016 as rivals circled, he was enticed by Buckley and Graeme Allen with plans to make him a hard-tackling general of the Pies forward line, almost a captain of that area of the ground.

06f8feb143dd8ebf932b514f996f03c7

Chris Mayne as a Starlight Foundation ambassador.

Allen walked out of the meeting blown away by his football IQ, labelling him a future AFL coach.

Yet by Round 4 he was dropped, not to return, amid increasing frustration and then the flashpoint.

Buckley said in a post-season radio interview there were a few things “mixed up” in his recruitment as the club’s football bosses changed, with “a few things that happened there that weren’t ideal”.

Then came the kicker: “It’s been a tough year for Mayney and we’ve got some decisions to make going forward with that, but that hasn’t been a great result in the first 12 months.”

Back in WA, father Steve erupted on Twitter, saying his son had been thrown under the bus and labelling Buckley’s claims “Bulls---”.

6160f5c41b030aeca630daf730fd1257

Chris Mayne' with fiancee Britt Nicholas. Picture: Instagram

Mayne has mostly declined media interviews this year, justifiably upset at the torching he received last year.

But in a rare post-match chat this year he said instead of sooking, he decided to drop that weight to play lighter but also help build an engine to play midfield.

It took until Round 6 for Mayne to get his chance, one of three inclusions as the Pies freshened up with a short break after Anzac Day.

As Collingwood midfield coach Robert Harvey said, he does exactly what is asked of him in the side.

“Obviously from where he’s come from last year, he is fitting in really well and playing that wing role and getting forward a bit. It’s a credit to him,’’ he said.

“He does a lot of stuff which isn’t seen externally as much as it is internally and the players and coaches really value what he does. He is finding a really solid place in our team.

“Sometimes his stuff on the stats sheet isn’t as high as others, but defensively he does things that we rate so highly.

“It can be the little knock-ons, he has a really high football IQ.

“It’s one of the higher ones you come into contact with — just his little things position-wise, where he sets up. It’s an advantage to have those guys in your team, it’s almost that coaching out on the ground which is so important.”

A player who kicked 39 goals in 2012 and 37 in 2013 for Fremantle only has three for the year, but is playing the kind of selfless role the Pies recruited him for.

46af3552ea1c36845892a1ffe85fe85e

Chris Mayne is mobbed by teammates after kicking a goal last week. Picture: Michael Klein
Pavlich has seen a mate mature in front of his eyes, finding a way to conform to a club’s expectations.

“He is a real character. He was an only child and in some ways when he first came in when things were not going his way he would come in moping around the place,” Pavlich said.

“When things were going well and he was going well he was the life of the party and was making the most noise.

“He learned to balance his emotions through his career and became one of our most valuable and reliable contributors. You could trust him running down the race.”

Mayne has only recently become a vegan, with Pavlich crediting his fiance with providing him support and advice in tough times.

“Britt has played a huge role in his off-field stuff, from his diet to off-field pursuits and stuff. You have people come into your life who shape it in different way.

“Football is challenging in terms of the scrutiny and public outcry that goes with it. It’s really challenging.

“At the same time he chose to go to a club with free agency and it’s so exposed in the media, so sometimes you have to be a big boy and move on.

Thanks CFC2010 for posting the above article. It doesn't seem to me that there was anything wrong with Mayne's attitude or work ethic last year, but his success this year comes from not dropping his head, from adapting, and from the club adapting to him a bit more. Good to read about it.

Also glad that him and Bucks have hugged through their differences. Bucks f***** up in his comments on Mayne last year, and I worried that it might introduce a toxic element into the club, but it seems that they've been able to move past it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks CFC2010 for posting the above article. It doesn't seem to me that there was anything wrong with Mayne's attitude or work ethic last year, but his success this year comes from not dropping his head, from adapting, and from the club adapting to him a bit more. Good to read about it.

Also glad that him and Bucks have hugged through their differences. Bucks f***** up in his comments on Mayne last year, and I worried that it might introduce a toxic element into the club, but it seems that they've been able to move past it.

I really enjoyed the read also JB.

I am guilty of writing him off last year after his missed shot in the Richmond game...…...a real credit to him and also to Bucks for mending the relationship.
I think he has been getting better by the week this year.

Kudos to you Chris and to our Club.

I really enjoyed the read also JB.

I am guilty of writing him off last year after his missed shot in the Richmond game...…...a real credit to him and also to Bucks for mending the relationship.
I think he has been getting better by the week this year.

Kudos to you Chris and to our Club.

Guilty as well,
He has found a spot to suit not only our style but his own style.

Terrific terrific game:)

And the players seem to love him too :)

Good on him

That strange feeling when you realize that Mayne might have somehow come from the clouds to be a legitimate best 22 midfielder.

He doesn't set the world on fire with the ball in hand, but he's a defensive beast, and he rarely turns it over. We're a better team with him in it.

Don't his teammates absolutely love him! I do too.

That strange feeling when you realize that Mayne might have somehow come from the clouds to be a legitimate best 22 midfielder.

He doesn't set the world on fire with the ball in hand, but he's a defensive beast, and he rarely turns it over. We're a better team with him in it.

Don't his teammates absolutely love him! I do too.
Definite best 22 IMO. We really aren't missing many midfielders through injury, so he isn't getting replaced any time soon.

Absolutely loving the Chris Mayne renaissance story.
Thank god we got this bloke. He's my new cult hero!
Makes up for the Wells debacle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back