Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

The length of time he has been in the role is my concern about him. Just how long is too long..? The long one person is in the role... the more likely we have a rocky ship when he goes. .. but considering where the list is placed, I cant see choosing to put someone on L plates behind the wheel.

He's got the team building nicely this year, and we look like we could hit the finals hard. I think we're a more genuine contender now than we were last year.

Just got to get Cameron up and running now.

Get a premiership this year and / or next year and CS might think 'mission accomplished'.

I've been a critic in the past, but we look better drilled than most. If he can improve his finals record and collect that elusive second flag, he could be remembered as a great.

I've been a critic in the past, but we look better drilled than most. If he can improve his finals record and collect that elusive second flag, he could be remembered as a great.
Should this be in the “I was wrong” thread?😉

Exactly how I see it - one more flag= Geelong royalty
Two or three more = geelong legend. Why leave? Just stay and keep winning! I vaguely recall someone mentioning to him in a presser once his similarity to the coach of an American football team (the Patriots? - i don't follow it) who had been a long-serving coach with a very high winning percentage. Scott sort of dismissed it humbly, but you could see that glint in the eye. That is the kind of coach he wants to be. A one-team coach/manager who has extraordinary success over a long period of time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this season more than almost any other has exemplified why he is a good coach.

we’ve shown several different modes of play depending on the opposition, we’ve been at various times safe, daring, expansive, scrappy, pressure-based, methodical and our ability to sense when a game is getting away from us and find a way to hold our ground is exceptional.

scott is so good at winning. It sounds stupid but That’s the bottom line. Almost invariably whenever a game is in our control - ie. dictated by whether we are playing well or bad rather than by the opposition, he seems to pull the right rein. The last test for this side is finding a way to will itself past an opponent that turns up and executes and has the players to make it hurt. Brisbane did it last time we played them. The Swans did it to us and during that second half we didn’t have a way to fully absorb the charge and put it back on them. It got a bit beyond our control like when Dusty turned it on in the grand final. It’s the only question mark imo.

when other teams are on top because we are playing s**t, we have a solid ability to recognise that, suck it up, and go into a different mode. When we are being beaten without a discernible ‘well we are doing such and such terribly’ reason, it worries me.

Two or three more = geelong legend. Why leave? Just stay and keep winning! I vaguely recall someone mentioning to him in a presser once his similarity to the coach of an American football team (the Patriots? - i don't follow it) who had been a long-serving coach with a very high winning percentage. Scott sort of dismissed it humbly, but you could see that glint in the eye. That is the kind of coach he wants to be. A one-team coach/manager who has extraordinary success over a long period of time.
Bill Belichick, been at the Patriots. since 2000.

I started following the Patriots in the year 2008 iirc, when the Patriots went through the season undefeated, and did what we did in losing the final.

Last edited:
Bill Belichick, been at the Patriots. since 2000.

I started following the Patriots in the year 2008 iirc, when the Patriots went through the season undefeated, and did what we did in losing the final.

I put Grid Iron up their with the world game , it has strong appeal for some, and has its own universe of rules that may not apply to our sport. It seems to me that the one universal truth in that sport is ..you have got nothing if you do not have a good QB. Has Balachack ever won anything without a good QB?

Imo, Coaches to some degree are like horse Jockeys and Motorsport drivers. They can only do what they can do with the quality of the artefact under them. I wonder how CS would go at Gold Coast. He has never had to deal with driving a car at the rear of the grid. This year I think he is coach (managing) as well as he ever has. Its help adding Smith and Cameron but the overall side seems more even than it ever has... and this year there is no standout opposition... We all know what he will be judged on when the footys are finished being kicked for the year.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but this article analyses our possession style game and compares it to some of the successful (and unsuccessful) teams of the past few decades. Anyone who suggests this brand of football can't win premierships is off the mark. On the other hand it certainly doesn't guarantee it. There's an interesting debate to be had I guess from the purists as well about whether this is the way the game should be played.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but this article analyses our possession style game and compares it to some of the successful (and unsuccessful) teams of the past few decades. Anyone who suggests this brand of football can't win premierships is off the mark. On the other hand it certainly doesn't guarantee it. There's an interesting debate to be had I guess from the purists as well about whether this is the way the game should be played.

Controlling Football™️

I think this season more than almost any other has exemplified why he is a good coach.

we’ve shown several different modes of play depending on the opposition, we’ve been at various times safe, daring, expansive, scrappy, pressure-based, methodical and our ability to sense when a game is getting away from us and find a way to hold our ground is exceptional.

scott is so good at winning. It sounds stupid but That’s the bottom line. Almost invariably whenever a game is in our control - ie. dictated by whether we are playing well or bad rather than by the opposition, he seems to pull the right rein. The last test for this side is finding a way to will itself past an opponent that turns up and executes and has the players to make it hurt. Brisbane did it last time we played them. The Swans did it to us and during that second half we didn’t have a way to fully absorb the charge and put it back on them. It got a bit beyond our control like when Dusty turned it on in the grand final. It’s the only question mark imo.

when other teams are on top because we are playing sh*t, we have a solid ability to recognise that, suck it up, and go into a different mode. When we are being beaten without a discernible ‘well we are doing such and such terribly’ reason, it worries me.
I agree with you. I wanted him gone for a very long time but now he’s fixed up the bye and jumped over a preliminary final he can stay for all I care.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back