Coach Coaching Options

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the more interesting discussions about appointing coaches with experience v's those given their first opportunity is the trend of success towards given their first opportunity. Using 1990 the first official year of the AFL as a starting point through to 2006 as a mid point, 17 seasons coaches with experience won 8 of those premierships (Blight 2, Malthouse 2, Matthews 3 and Parkin 1)

From 2007 though to 2022 only 1 coach not coaching his club as their first coaching job, Malthouse, has won a premiership.

When Bev does move on why would you not be looking for a rookie coach when rookie coaches have won 18 of the last 19 flags and even this year the top 4 all have coaches where this is their first senior gig, in fact 7 of the top 8 are in the same boat
I agree I’d only want a rookie coach, but are those numbers skewed by the fact most coaches are rookie coaches? I dunno could be wrong but feels like at least 3 in every 4 coaches appointed are rookie coaches. Maybe that dynamic has shifted recently though now that I think about it - with the likes of Clarko, Voss, Ratten & Ross all getting another gig - it felt for years on end after your first gig you were as good as gone from head coaching.

Won't get dimma, he will be 1st Tas coach, Jack Riewoldt will be in his ear.

We'll replace Webb with Selwood. I can't see us picking up any other current senior assistants now that we've recruited Lade
Lots and lots of media beat up around the coaching cap being so drastically low and burning out senior coaches, hopefully the AFL somewhat listen and raise the cap to allow us to bring in another two assistants (one to replace Webb and another one in general).

Coaching department cap has not been lifted in 5 years, we also have an extra 100k to play with thanks to Gatherround'.

Heard anything or just what you want to happen? Selwood & Gia to replace Webb & Spangher… it’s a yes from me dawg
I've heard rumours (very likely baseless) about Selwood and that's about it. He was Busslinger's mentor at one point and they've kept in touch, and we seem to like our Geelong coaches, but most rumours tend to start from extremely flaky links like that. I'd love to see it happen

Why is this thread still even here????

Its the bigfooty thread equivalent of climate change denial, 5G tracking and the 15 minute city conspiracy.

Leon Cameron could be a good footy manager? Someone who has had senior coaching experience is preferable I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve heard Spang was actually being groomed for a role similar to what Chris Maple did. He came in as a business savvy good ‘manager’ and people person. It was only by necessity he was appointed a line coach.

Not sure what the plans for him going forward are though.

I’ve heard Spang was actually being groomed for a role similar to what Chris Maple did. He came in as a business savvy good ‘manager’ and people person. It was only by necessity he was appointed a line coach.

Interesting.

Thanks for the intel :thumbsupemoji:

Credit where credit is due- Marra and Arty Jones' development in the forward 50 has been great.

He gets a lot of wraps in the best and fairest speeches.

Our forward line looked as equally poor when Ash Hansen looked after it.

What was Chris Maple's role?

A bit of everything - development, VFL, coaching manager and then transitioned into footy ops. He was a big loss to our coaching ranks in terms of skillset.
So Spangher is pretty capable generally with a broad range of skills? It seems to me that a good and effective communicator and people person is not a bad thing for our developing forward line. As long as he understands it himself, he'll be able to communicate it with the patience required for a young and developing forward unit.

Credit where credit is due- Marra and Arty Jones' development in the forward 50 has been great.

He gets a lot of wraps in the best and fairest speeches.

Our forward line looked as equally poor when Ash Hansen looked after it.

And funny enough Carlton have massive issues with Ash Hansen now. Might be something in that...

Sounds like Rohan Smith will be staying on for another two years.
Clay Smith being eyed for a coaching position, currently head coach at Point Cook FC (at least he has some experience?)

Sounds like Rohan Smith will be staying on for another two years.
Clay Smith being eyed for a coaching position, currently head coach at Point Cook FC (at least he has some experience?)
Geez that’s grim, but I’d love Clay around the joint.

Knowing us we’ll give him the keys to the midfield, would prefer a nice small development role though….

Surely Bubba is done? He was a great development coach, brilliant - so many young defenders credited their improvement to him, and I think he just really suits that move.

But in charge of a line? Yeah nah don’t think so

Remove this Banner Ad

Back