Collingwood 2019 - Redemption?

Remove this Banner Ad

Defence looks solid, forwardline so-so and I think they've got too many outside mids being forced into inside roles, which don't particularly suit them. That being said Bont and Libba were in great form last night.

Looking more like a 5-8 team, but it's only Round 4.

The almighty world-conquering Richmond of recent years have only won one of its last six games against the Western Bulldogs, by three points on your home soil. Your never ending saltiness toward Collingwood ceases to amaze me.
Pre 2017 we were s**t. Early 2017 we were still finding our feet and lost like four on the trot at that stage plus we probably should’ve beaten them. Last year we beat them in a dead rubber whilst resting players.

But anyway, this thread isn’t about Richmond. It’s about your (attempted) redemption.
I thought we were actually very brave in that we lost our 200 game prime mover 5 minutes into the first quarter last night.

Wins like those when not playing your best footy is what you need at this stage of the season.
Oh so it’s actually possible to win games when you lose a player throughout the match due to injury? You guys assured me last year that it wasn’t and kept using it to excuse your losses. Good to know you’re a brave team now.

What? They were poor for most of the night then had favourable decisions by the umpires in the last coupled with some jammy goals. Falling over the line against a side that is widely tipped to be bottom four and lost to the Gold Coast the previous week is hardly “good fighting”. Any decent side would’ve put Bulldogs to the sword. Collingwood are psychologically shot after WCE took care of them with ease, again.

I know you want to push your redemption crap but they won’t get near it this season. They seem hell bent on throwing everything at Richmond then that’s considered job done.

Richmond are irrelevant! We don’t really care we beat you but it kills you to lose to Collingwood

I’d be feeling relatively positive if I was a Pies fan. There’s enough good signs to suggest they’ll be hard to beat once the midfield starts performing to potential. Moore and Roughead down back are making a big difference, allowing Howe to play a more lockdown role which he did very well against Darling and Gowers the last couple of weeks.

Got to wonder whether last week’s game would have played out differently if Varcoe hadn’t been dropped. Was excellent last night I thought and provided a real spark. He’s the kind of livewire player the Eagles normally have a hard time containing

We had the 2nd hardest draw in the league last season (as weighted by CD). Collingwood had a significantly easier draw due to previous poor finishes and the way the AFL weights the draws based on previous performance.
You can’t compare the 2.
Richmond finished top of the ladder by seasons end. We are yet to see how the pies back up after their break out year.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower
I think that the draw aside the real test will come on how Richmond responds to injuries as they have been blessed the last 2 seasons.

I think that the draw aside the real test will come on how Richmond responds to injuries as they have been blessed the last 2 seasons.

Well, our injuries and suspensions are brownlow medallists and premiership players, so yes, we shall see.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

I’d be feeling relatively positive if I was a Pies fan. There’s enough good signs to suggest they’ll be hard to beat once the midfield starts performing to potential. Moore and Roughead down back are making a big difference, allowing Howe to play a more lockdown role which he did very well against Darling and Gowers the last couple of weeks.

Got to wonder whether last week’s game would have played out differently if Varcoe hadn’t been dropped. Was excellent last night I thought and provided a real spark. He’s the kind of livewire player the Eagles normally have a hard time containing
I think it may be the old saying, champion team or team of champions. at the moment WC are a champion team and play to your strengths and structures ( of course not dismissing the fact you have some extreley elite quality in the side. ) where as the pies at the moment one could argue have more elite talent on paper at least. but this doesn't / hasn't yet translated to being a champion team.

I think it may be the old saying, champion team or team of champions. at the moment WC are a champion team and play to your strengths and structures ( of course not dismissing the fact you have some extreley elite quality in the side. ) where as the pies at the moment one could argue have more elite talent on paper at least. but this doesn't / hasn't yet translated to being a champion team.

The Richmond game demonstrated that the game plan is coming together for a champion team. Sure, we could dismiss it as 'Eagles-lite' with a high kicking, high marking game plan but if it works to win games then who gives a s**t.

Anyone dismissing the Pies this year and beyond is a fool.

Reckon we are a top 4 chance alongside 4 or 5 other teams. WCE are really the only team I would lock into the 4. After that Geel, GWS, Collingwood, Rich, Melb and Hawks all got claims with the Adel teams capable also. I don't really see Collingwood ahead of that pack. We were a 5-8 side last year who finished the season well. Beams, Elliott, Moore give up hope to improve but so far we look just one of the possibles.

The one thing pies lack is a josh Kennedy beast to kick it too as a bail out option

Kicking it to cox has to be precise

And a big defender to stop a josh Kennedy types

Bookends ....they have class everywhere else

But can they win the flag ..yes they can

The Bulldogs over used the ball, we won most of the stats with the exception of hit outs and scoring obviously. We could have and should have won, just a tired midfield from having to work harder to make up for the lack of ruck. I think Collingwood are a 5 -8 team, and agree with other comments on Varcoe, he was the real difference.

The Bulldogs over used the ball, we won most of the stats with the exception of hit outs and scoring obviously. We could have and should have won, just a tired midfield from having to work harder to make up for the lack of ruck. I think Collingwood are a 5 -8 team, and agree with other comments on Varcoe, he was the real difference.

You came in with a clear game plan to hold possession across half back and slowly chip the ball forward. Unsurprisingly the stats you clearly "won" were uncontested possessions, kicking efficiency and uncontested marks.

You at least broke even in the midfield despite grundies dominance to three quarter time but got smashed in the last quarter. I'm not sure if your midfield was working any harder until then but they were up against a midfield down a rotation for the whole game

I certainly don't think we showed anything screaming premiership cakewalk on Friday but we were the better team overall

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last night's win was as good a performance as any team has dished up this year.

Brilliant football.

Reckon we are a top 4 chance alongside 4 or 5 other teams. WCE are really the only team I would lock into the 4. After that Geel, GWS, Collingwood, Rich, Melb and Hawks all got claims with the Adel teams capable also. I don't really see Collingwood ahead of that pack. We were a 5-8 side last year who finished the season well. Beams, Elliott, Moore give up hope to improve but so far we look just one of the possibles.
Nah, Collingwood, Geelong then WC.

Far too early to tell if Collingwood are legit to contend for the flag. They playing ok early but are 3-2 after 5 games so they are vulnerable. Again, way too soon to write their names on the cup but they should be there at the pointy end.

Far too early to tell if Collingwood are legit to contend for the flag. They playing ok early but are 3-2 after 5 games so they are vulnerable. Again, way too soon to write their names on the cup but they should be there at the pointy end.

previous year Grand Finalist, and the team is showing class. just need consistency and not many teams ever have it in the first month. they're definitely top 4 and in with a shot.

the teams I would have the red texta out for are geelong and richmond. geelong as they're only showing this form early on, and richmond due to injuries etc.

top 4 at mo in no particular order are collingwood, western sydney, west coast, melbourne (plenty of class, but this weekend vs st kilda has a massive bearing on that)

previous year Grand Finalist, and the team is showing class. just need consistency and not many teams ever have it in the first month. they're definitely top 4 and in with a shot.

the teams I would have the red texta out for are geelong and richmond. geelong as they're only showing this form early on, and richmond due to injuries etc.

top 4 at mo in no particular order are collingwood, western sydney, west coast, melbourne (plenty of class, but this weekend vs st kilda has a massive bearing on that)
Here, here!!

The difference between West Coast posters (for the most part,) attitude towards us, and Richmond posters (for the most part,) attitude towards us is night/day. It's hilarious.

How many WCE fans in these Pies threads have well thought out; decent posts highlighting positives but still critical is actually very ******* refreshing - I feel there's a healthy respect brewing between the fanbases. Richmond fans (again, for the most part as there are a few rippers,) seem to be absolutely feral at the moment. Constant s**t-flinging; not just at us but seemingly at most of the current top few teams. It's very unbecoming.

I think West Coast are the team to beat, but Pies and GWS the next two in line. I'm not sure who would round out the top 4, perhaps my mob, but I'm not sold on them yet, even though we had a better than expected first month.

I think West Coast are the team to beat, but Pies and GWS the next two in line. I'm not sure who would round out the top 4, perhaps my mob, but I'm not sold on them yet, even though we had a better than expected first month.
Early days, it is only April. We haven't played 2 good games in a row, we have played only 2 genuine top 8 clubs and have lost both.
The blockbusters like ANZAC and QB'day are better indicators on where we are.

Were lucky I reckon today. That being said 4-2 and sitting pretty ready to launch a serious assault at this years flag.

Wouldn't want to meet them again in September though. I feel the Dons along with the Cats stand in the way between the Pies Premiership in 2019. I'll back the Black and White's over anyone hence this thread. At the end of the day, they survived the test and got the 4 points which is huge for their mental morale.

Couldn't afford to drop another close one.

Looked good last night. Answered the challenge when tested but continue to let teams back in the game when having a decent lead. Last night they were good enough to go on with it again. Still my pick for the flag but not the '' clear cut '' as the best two along with Geelong according to many, but that's my opinion. Lost to WCE, lost to Cats and lucky to beat the Bombers. If they're the best two with Geelong are we basing that on what? week to week?

Bullshit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back