Collingwood and Richmond - who has the greater supporter base

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a reminder: Terms like “Minnowmond”, “Shrinkingwood”, “Dwindlewood” and the like belong on the bay, not the main board. Same goes for referring to either team as a minnow, when clearly neither fits that description.

If you see stuff like this, don’t respond with more of it. Click ‘report’ so we can deal with it.

Richmond seem to have more true supporters but Collingwood, have plenty of bandwagoners. Listening to their home crowd on Friday night, it seemed that few there understood the rules of the game. They just booed everything, right, wrong and indifferent. Probably just the place to be seen on a Fri night in Melbourne. They are the Man U of the AFL.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Richmond seem to have more true supporters but Collingwood, have plenty of bandwagoners. Listening to their home crowd on Friday night, it seemed that few there understood the rules of the game. They just booed everything, right, wrong and indifferent. Probably just the place to be seen on a Fri night in Melbourne. They are the Man U of the AFL.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app
#notsureifserious

Growing up in the 80’s and 90’s I barely ever saw anyone local or at school in a Collingwood jumper. I remember because I thought it was unusual when I’d see a Pies fan, like a Footscray fan. It was always Richmond/Hawks/Essendon.

These days all I see is Collingwood. Like a disease, they’re everywhere

Im curious where you grew up. In my primary school Pies were the most supported team followed by Carlton and Essendon.

Im curious where you grew up. In my primary school Pies were the most supported team followed by Carlton and Essendon.
In my primary school the most popular clubs were bulldogs, Geelong and collingwood in the 80’s to early 90’s.

In high school it was either Essendon or Collingwood and that was in the mid to late 90’s. Then you had a few Geelong and Bulldogs fans. One thing was That there wasn’t many Richmond fans.

In my primary school the most popular clubs were bulldogs, Geelong and collingwood in the 80’s to early 90’s.

In high school it was either Essendon or Collingwood and that was in the mid to late 90’s. Then you had a few Geelong and Bulldogs fans. One thing was That there wasn’t many Richmond fans.

Some of this has to be geographical though, i went to school in the northern burbs. The Tigers and Bulldogs basically didnt exist.

Not surprising in the mid to late 90's. Growing up in the 70's and 80's it was all Richmond, pies, and Carlton .

Different years, areas, schools, etc will see teams fluctuate in support unless rusted on from family.
Footy day dress up at my kids school in northern suburbs "break up for school holidays" In one of my kids classes 14 of 22 being in Richmond colours.
Over 800 kids, walking around mostly saw pies, tiges, bombers and blues and some hawks. No doubt different areas will see different levels of support.

growing up in the south eastern suburbs, i will admit that there was a very niche following of richmond supprters but you knew who they were where as the collingwood supporters there was a few people who knew what football was but also this following of other collingwood supporters who didnt know a thing about football at all. some grew up to learn and love the game while others still only come out of the woodwork when it seem convenient.

but somehow richmond supporters were always labelled the bandwagoner?!

growing up in the south eastern suburbs, i will admit that there was a very niche following of richmond supprters but you knew who they were where as the collingwood supporters there was a few people who knew what football was but also this following of other collingwood supporters who didnt know a thing about football at all. some grew up to learn and love the game while others still only come out of the woodwork when it seem convenient.

but somehow richmond supporters were always labelled the bandwagoner?!

My school in the northern suburbs had as many Tigers as Pie fans.

I think it’s the 4 peat thing that gets Pies fans onboard and they have not experienced the lows of Richmond so get more bandwagonners.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back