Collingwood and Richmond - who has the greater supporter base

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a reminder: Terms like “Minnowmond”, “Shrinkingwood”, “Dwindlewood” and the like belong on the bay, not the main board. Same goes for referring to either team as a minnow, when clearly neither fits that description.

If you see stuff like this, don’t respond with more of it. Click ‘report’ so we can deal with it.

What is a Richmond?

How many decades will this period of mediocrity and irrelevance continue for?

Bro what is Collingwood you dont even have your head quarters there anymore lmao. WE AR RICHMOND our little neighbour Collingwood who left vicpark lollololo

Your posts don't make any sense, we have won 8 flags in our supposed mediocrity, mediocrity is your club's 2 flags in 60 odd years Wow that is horrendous!!!

Bro what is Collingwood you dont even have your head quarters there anymore lmao. WE AR RICHMOND our little neighbour Collingwood who left vicpark lollololo

Your posts don't make any sense, we have won 8 flags in our supposed mediocrity, mediocrity is your club's 2 flags in 60 odd years Wow that is horrendous!!!
Shhhhh.

The season's still going (for some).

Just waiting to see who we play next week.

Im not the one who brought up drought, you get that right? Its amazing that i have to actually explain it in layman's terms.
Yeah, Richmond played in a GF in 1982 and then nothing until 2017....nothing.

That is a drought.

You had 40 year old Tiger fans in 2017 that hadnt ever exeprienced a game at their G where their club was favoured to win through to a GF.

And Tiger fans use this once in a lifetime outlier, as "evidence" that they have almost as many supporters as Collingwood.

Really dont understand why they would bother?

Yeah, Richmond played in a GF in 1982 and then nothing until 2017....nothing.

That is a drought.

You're not getting it. Every club has droughts inc my team, your club had 32 years between 1958 and 1990 and 20 years between 1990 to 2010. The problem is you lost 12 GF's in-between that's horrendous. Gut-wrenching stuff

My club has played in 10 GF's in the last 56 years and won 8. I'll break it down. A GF every 5.6 years and a premiership every 7 years on average. Geez whats not to like ;)

I was a Pies who was cheering on the Tigers in 2017, was great to see those long suffering Tigers get a win.

I'm happy to hear this there was a lot of sentiment towards Richmond. But if the Tigers were in the GF again something tells me you and the rest of the footy world wouldn't want us to win. We are hated just like pies. I can't barrack for the pies, you'll have the lion's share of support anyway will be a cracking game.

You're not getting it.
Na champ, you are missing the point.
Every club has droughts inc my team, your club had 32 years between 1958 and 1990 and 20 years between 1990 to 2010.
Between flags, different to being in big finals to actually make a GF.
The problem is you lost 12 GF's in-between that's horrendous. Gut-wrenching stuff
Richmond had a drought of 35 years between even being favourite to make a GF!!

1982 to 2017.

That is why the Tigers had a big bubble and got some big crowds.
A GF every 5.6 years and a premiership every 7 years on average. Geez whats not to like ;)
The 20-30 year drought that follows a glut of Richmond flags that are won in quick succession.

And after being a laughing stock for 30 years again, you will again have plenty of neutrals hoping the Tigers get some joy when they come good again in the 2050s.

Nobody ever wants to see the Pies do well, as we are always around the mark.

You're not getting it. Every club has droughts inc my team, your club had 32 years between 1958 and 1990 and 20 years between 1990 to 2010. The problem is you lost 12 GF's in-between that's horrendous. Gut-wrenching stuff

My club has played in 10 GF's in the last 56 years and won 8. I'll break it down. A GF every 5.6 years and a premiership every 7 years on average. Geez whats not to like ;)
12 losses in that period is utterly terrible

Do we even have a rivalry with Richmond? I know we are every teams grand final each week, but I wouldn't even have Richmond in our top 3 rivals. I'm glad we live rent free in your head though.

I guess you saw my post and used the term rent-free. You must be new to footy if you think rich v coll is not a rivalry. The big 4 are rivals for various reasons, crowds, history of finals, GF's etc geez the fact that I have to explain it says it all.

rentfree.jpg

Na champ, you are missing the point.

Between flags, different to being in big finals to actually make a GF.

Richmond had a drought of 35 years between even being favourite to make a GF!!

1982 to 2017.

That is why the Tigers had a big bubble and got some big crowds.

The 20-30 year drought that follows a glut of Richmond flags that are won in quick succession.

And after being a laughing stock for 30 years again, you will again have plenty of neutrals hoping the Tigers get some joy when they come good again in the 2050s.

Nobody ever wants to see the Pies do well, as we are always around the mark.
Richmond are the Kings of multiple decades on end of nothingness.

I wonder why our friend went back 56 years?

Check out Richmond's record in the 40's and 50's.

Two decades, one single finals win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very easy answer. When folks go 37 years since your last flag 1980 to 2017, they conveniently leave out the 13 years prior which we won 4 flags. Hence why I said 1967 to 2023 (8 premierships we won).

Growing up in the 80’s and 90’s I barely ever saw anyone local or at school in a Collingwood jumper. I remember because I thought it was unusual when I’d see a Pies fan, like a Footscray fan. It was always Richmond/Hawks/Essendon.

These days all I see is Collingwood. Like a disease, they’re everywhere

Very easy answer. When folks go 37 years since your last flag 1980 to 2017, they conveniently leave out the 13 years prior which we won 4 flags. Hence why I said 1967 to 2023 (8 premierships we won).
Yeah, Tigers go feast than famine.

2017 was breaking of a long famine.

And even in that ultimate scenario to generate a crowd, the Tigers couldnt get a bigger crowd to a PF than the Pies.

But you keep posting that the Tigers have more supporters, why dont they show up?

Growing up in the 80’s and 90’s I barely ever saw anyone local or at school in a Collingwood jumper. I remember because I thought it was unusual when I’d see a Pies fan, like a Footscray fan. It was always Richmond/Hawks/Essendon.

These days all I see is Collingwood. Like a disease, they’re everywhere
I have no idea where you live but I grew up in the 80’s and 90’s and out the west collingwood was always hugely popular and even more popular now.

Now to the sensitive Richmond fans all getting defensive over the one stat they could only ever hang their record on was drawing 94,247 was trumped by collingwood drawing 97,665 on Friday night. Imagine having 97,000 of your own fans cheering you on. Unlike Richmond who had 40,000 neutrals cheering them on. We at Collingwood don’t need neutral cheering us on as we are that big. Collingwood have always been the biggest club in the afl. We maybe have been dormant for a few years when at times it might of looked like Carlton were bigger then collingwood in the 70’s, Richmond in the 70’s and Essendon in the 90’s but as soon as collingwood started winning they would draw bigger crowds then the clubs I had just mentioned.

To those Richmond fans who still actually think they are king and the biggest club in Australia let’s look at some stats;

All time home and away attendance record set this year was Collingwood with 1,384,000. Richmond still till this day have drawn over 1.2 million.

Membership Collingwood holds the all time record set this year 106,470. Richmond’s biggest was 103,000 after their 3 peat. If collingwood win this years flag we will be over 120,000.

Roy Morgan yet again Collingwood most popular vic club.

Social media follows Collingwood biggest afl club

Top 5 biggest home and away crowds all involve collingwood.

Biggest crowd v gws who have no supporters is now collingwood.

Enjoy being demoted Richmond collingwood has the biggest army of fans. Richmond unfortunately for you guys carlton will overtake Richmond next year and when the dons start winning they will too.

Now to the sensitive Richmond fans all getting defensive over the one stat they could only ever hang their record on was drawing 94,247 was trumped by collingwood drawing 97,665 on Friday night. Imagine having 97,000 of your own fans cheering you on. Unlike Richmond who had 40,000 neutrals cheering them on. We at Collingwood don’t need neutral cheering us on as we are that big. Collingwood have always been the biggest club in the afl. We maybe have been dormant for a few years when at times it might of looked like Carlton were bigger then collingwood in the 70’s, Richmond in the 70’s and Essendon in the 90’s but as soon as collingwood started winning they would draw bigger crowds then the clubs I had just mentioned.

To those Richmond fans who still actually think they are king and the biggest club in Australia let’s look at some stats;

All time home and away attendance record set this year was Collingwood with 1,384,000. Richmond still till this day have drawn over 1.2 million.

Membership Collingwood holds the all time record set this year 106,470. Richmond’s biggest was 103,000 after their 3 peat. If collingwood win this years flag we will be over 120,000.

Roy Morgan yet again Collingwood most popular vic club.

Social media follows Collingwood biggest afl club

Top 5 biggest home and away crowds all involve collingwood.

Biggest crowd v gws who have no supporters is now collingwood.

Enjoy being demoted Richmond collingwood has the biggest army of fans. Richmond unfortunately for you guys carlton will overtake Richmond next year and when the dons start winning they will too.
You must really be bitter and twisted toward Richmond to post selective statistics. Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Any supporter of either team putting sh!t on the other is either too young to know, too ignorant to understand, or just too blinded by passion to acknowledge.

Both clubs have huge supporter bases.

You must really be bitter and twisted toward Richmond to post selective statistics. Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Any supporter of either team putting sh!t on the other is either too young to know, too ignorant to understand, or just too blinded by passion to acknowledge.

Both clubs have huge supporter bases.

Some of the other Pies posters at least don't pull this s**t. On the attendance thread, many oppo supporters honestly stated there were more gws this time around than 6 years ago. Simply because they have grown as a club and neutrals supporting giants too. You could really hear them, that can't be denied. Also, a respected pies poster in his own view as being at the game said 2-3K gws and neutrals too. Around 5K give or take but Gopies was saying 300 gws turn it up it's why he isn't taken seriously and to say there were 40K neutrals :rolleyes: at the Tigers game is just blatantly lying and makes him come across salty.

Prior to this recent period of success, in the 100 odd years Richmond have been in the VFL/AFL, Richmond have been terrible on-field for more than half of them.

Richmond have had 2 golden periods. First from the late 1910's to the mid 1940's. The second from the mid 1960's to the early 1980's. Each period reaped 5 premierships. Apart from the many runner's up finishes (thanks to the challenge system up to 1930 from which your club benefited) in that first period; the lesson here is when Richmond make it, they don't F around - they win it.

Unlike Collingwood, who over the last 60 odd years have been around the mark and won 2 premierships but also been the GF bitch a dozen times.

I think Collingwood will be premiers next week courtesy of the weakest Top 4 in living memory, but a flags a flag regardless. However, if they get bent over again on Saturday it will add to the great source of mirth your club has provided us non-Collingwood fans for well over half a century.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back