SorryIHammerChicken

Premiership Player
Jan 16, 2005
Cameron White
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Team Carbonaro™..........
RIP Paul Wadham - heard this on SEN last night.

Anyone know any info on the guy? Apart from SEN I can't really find anything on the net about him.

PerthCrow said:
The term great is bandied about so easy
From the Encyc of AFL footballers...
1964-65 21 games, 9 goals, b 31 Mar 1943, 196 cm, 97.5 kg

That's it. No description, no listing of awards.

Sad for his family, 63 is too young to go, but I hope we won't be seeing "Collingwood great Andrew Tranquilli dies" threads in 50-70 years time.

ive never heard of him, so the 'great' tag is a bit ridiculous.

a tragedy all the same, losing someone at that age.

RIP.

MagpieScouser said:
andrew tranqulli could have been anything if tony shaw had given him a chance ahead of hacks like sharkey and ahmat
You mean Feargal Sharkey?
_196618_feargal_sharkey_300.jpg

He was never a 'great' of the game. However, one of the endearing qualities of being associated with the Collingwood Football Club, is that if you've crossed the white line for this team, it's as good as being a 'great'

There will be a disproportionate number of Collingwood people who ever had anything to do with him at his funeral. There will also be a large number of very high office-holders from the club there. This is as it should be.

One of the reasons I have a love/hate relationship with that club - they embrace their own. Once a Collingwood man, always a Collingwood man. Thus, "to bleed for Collingwood."

As a player, he was as slow as a glacier, but he had a heart as big as the social club.

skilts said:
He was never a 'great' of the game. However, one of the endearing qualities of being associated with the Collingwood Football Club, is that if you've crossed the white line for this team, it's as good as being a 'great'

There will be a disproportionate number of Collingwood people who ever had anything to do with him at his funeral. There will also be a large number of very high office-holders from the club there. This is as it should be.

One of the reasons I have a love/hate relationship with that club - they embrace their own. Once a Collingwood man, always a Collingwood man. Thus, "to bleed for Collingwood."

As a player, he was as slow as a glacier, but he had a heart as big as the social club.
Interesting perspective. :thumbsu:
Did he play any sort of role off the field perhaps off the field that may have lead someone to label him as a great?

jabso said:
Interesting perspective. :thumbsu:
Did he play any sort of role off the field perhaps off the field that may have lead someone to label him as a great?

Not to my knowledge. My addled mind sees him wearing number 22, then again it may have been 18.

My perspective of the way the Pies treat their own on such occasions comes from attending my uncle's funeral. George Carter was a masseur at the club for 20 years. When his funeral occured, twenty years after he retired from the club, 'Twiggy' Dunne, the club's then secretary and lots of players, including I remember, GF player Doug Gott, were at his funeral.

My understanding of how things work down there also stems from having played with Collingwood's cricket team. As much as I hate to admit it, the club's culture, in its finest sense, is unlike any other I've ever encountered in a sporting club. They engender a sense of belonging, which is why even their supporters attachment to the club is everybody's envy.

It would be inappropriate in this forum, to comment about other aspects of this culture which I find less worthy of celebration.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back