List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question that may have already been answered.

With Grundy moving to Sydney, do we still pay a part of his salary, or was that part of the deal specifically only with Melbourne?

Seems silly that Melbourne are off the hook for making a poor recruiting decision.

We still pay.

Melbourne would be trading their portion to the Swans.

There was a hit song many years ago that might have been about you. It was called "The King of Wishful Thinking".

None of the guys you named (ASIDE FROM CRISP) are, as yet, projecting to be anywhere near the current level of Pendlebury, Sidebottom ect.

You would have to use that horrible word 'potential' to even get them in the conversation with greats of the club who are still important players for us. I would not be shocked, if none of the young players mentioned ever make it to 50 games.

No matter what the age, performance is king.
In 2021 people had doubts about Murphy’s capabilities and suggested he’d be delisted.
My cautious optimism here is no different to that which I had with Murphy.

I dont understand why Murphy doesnt wear a helmet. Is the AFL just taking cautious steps so there can be no legal case down the track ?

Surely players have to take it upon themselves to know their limitations of health. Not playing the blame game , but there has to be a time where if you are accepting to play a contact sport for a lot of money, the onus is on you to know when its too much

It might be McStay more than Checkers who goes back

I would bring in Tom anyway (if we could)

You’ve really gotten to hope that the brains trust would simply try playing Frampton in the position he was recruited to play, and McStay kept in the position he was recruited to play, before simply blowing the whole thing up.

I dont understand why Murphy doesnt wear a helmet. Is the AFL just taking cautious steps so there can be no legal case down the track ?

Surely players have to take it upon themselves to know their limitations of health. Not playing the blame game , but there has to be a time where if you are accepting to play a contact sport for a lot of money, the onus is on you to know when its too much
Makes you wonder how boxing is still a legal sport.

Helmets don't prevent your brain shaking in your skull after a knock. They don't prevent concussion.

His last two knocks were to the jaw

It’s a tipping point re the vets. My feel is people get stuck in the mindset of replacing them at their best, but the reality is you’re replacing them as they go from declining to done. Well run clubs set their list up to have younger players on the cusp of senior footy once that happens. Where I think you missed the mark is suggesting there’s every chance our young guys can fill the breach.

As we discussed through the year when you were bullish on Bianco and Ruscoe the harsh reality is most of the guys toiling away at VFL level will not make it at a contending club. From that group listed
(Crisp, HH, Allan, McCreery Reef, Macrae Carmichael and Lipinski) if we have one hit through the midfield from the bolded players that’s a pass, two is an absolute bonus and three is a Christmas miracle.

If our 2025 midfield was written on a piece of paper my take would be to pencil in Allan alongside JDG, Daicos x2, McCreery, Mitchell and Crisp and then have the likes of Holmes/ Soligo/ Callaghan/ Smith/ Thomas in black ink. This discussion in that 2025 off-season would then have our 2024 1st Rd pick in pencil to replace Crisp and Mitchell.

Edit: a fun exercise. Write down our Rd 1 2024 midfield from the perspective of someone living in early March 2022. Hot tip the likes of Grundy, Adams, Brown and Bianco would feature plus no Mitchell…
I look at these young guys and ask myself do they have any glaring differences that will impact their advancement.
HH - is the complete package, with good footy IQ added.
Allan - per HH but not as natural on both sides
Reef - his tank is the issue, and not natural on both side
Macrae - slow but fine otherwise
JC - slow, poor footy IQ, decision making and poor disposal.

Much like Ruscoe this will rest on opportunity.
Of that list HH and Macrae will make it IMO.
Allan, hard to see him not making it.
Reef, his late VFL form was elite, it would be a shock if he didn’t make it, but doubt it will be as a mid.
JC - huge question mark. Unless he’s restricted to inside only and handballing out of stoppage (much like Titch ), then his poor disposal will crush his future.

It’s a tipping point re the vets. My feel is people get stuck in the mindset of replacing them at their best, but the reality is you’re replacing them as they go from declining to done. Well run clubs set their list up to have younger players on the cusp of senior footy once that happens. Where I think you missed the mark is suggesting there’s every chance our young guys can fill the breach.

As we discussed through the year when you were bullish on Bianco and Ruscoe the harsh reality is most of the guys toiling away at VFL level will not make it at a contending club. From that group listed
(Crisp, HH, Allan, McCreery Reef, Macrae Carmichael and Lipinski) if we have one hit through the midfield from the bolded players that’s a pass, two is an absolute bonus and three is a Christmas miracle.

If our 2025 midfield was written on a piece of paper my take would be to pencil in Allan alongside JDG, Daicos x2, McCreery, Mitchell and Crisp and then have the likes of Holmes/ Soligo/ Callaghan/ Smith/ Thomas in black ink. This discussion in that 2025 off-season would then have our 2024 1st Rd pick in pencil to replace Crisp and Mitchell.

Edit: a fun exercise. Write down our Rd 1 2024 midfield from the perspective of someone living in early March 2022. Hot tip the likes of Grundy, Adams, Brown and Bianco would feature plus no Mitchell…
The only way to see if the young blokes can do the job is to play them - not all at once of course, but progressively.
With Adams leaving, it takes out one of our older players and provides an opportunity for someone else.
It seems like Fin will be the first cab off the rank.
Reef will probably play mostly forward, but with bursts in the midfield.
Carmichael needs a big preseason, and to work hard on his disposal skills.
Harrison has had a taste and shown some good qualities.
Beau needs to get more of the ball and improve his decision making.
Allan could be anything - we shall see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schultz is a very good player, and one that we do need in Adams' departure. He is one of the better small forwards in the competition, and can work up field because he's a decent accumulator

Bobby, Beau, Billy, and Dr. King will be the most terrifying group of pressure forwards in the league. Fumble a ball in D50 and you would be absolutely shitting yourself. The implied pressure alone will be amazing.

Bobby, Beau, Billy, and Dr. King will be the most terrifying group of pressure forwards in the league. Fumble a ball in D50 and you would be absolutely shitting yourself. The implied pressure alone will be amazing.
It'll be incredible. The pace and pressure will be so good!

One of the dockers nuffies now wants 19,F1&F3 for Schultz.

Do the dockers give out a party pack of LSD with their memberships? They are seriously nuts.......

I need to keep away from their board, got a warning over there yesterday......
I had Fremantle membership for 2 or 3 seasons when I lived in Perth - no LSD, which probably explains why it was such a cheap membership.

Interesting supporter base, particularly those I used to sit near.

That won’t help.
Bubble Boy Lol GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

This is the helmet in question

Makes you wonder how boxing is still a legal sport.
I imagine when you decide to do a professional sport which the main aim is to punch each other in the head it’s real hard to get a legal case up and running would be my guess 😂

The AFL is being extra cautious on this stuff if you ask me, clearly the issues of the past relate to the care following the concussion by the AFL and the medical teams. As long as they have medically backed mandated process around return to train/play it’s not up to the AFL to tell players they can’t play, it’s up to the player to decide if the risk is worth the reward. IMO.

In 2021 people had doubts about Murphy’s capabilities and suggested he’d be delisted.
My cautious optimism here is no different to that which I had with Murphy.
I thought he would be delisted too. Not from lack of effort. Just thought got injured too much unfortunately. Kruger seems to be similar at the moment. But so glad Murphy got there and got a Flag too. That’s etched in stone no matter what happens next. Fingers crossed he gets to continue but more doubtful for me as Peter Jess adds his voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back