Tasmania Tasmania Devils, welcome to the AFL. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5 (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Good article.
Loved this bit. I think this is happening now. The ALP needs to sort out its position soon. They gotta go anti-process of how this all went down, but not anti-stadium.

There could be just as many people who might refuse to vote ALP if they kill this bid, as Anti Stadium voters. The difference is, the anti-Stadium people will be mostly green voters and not the ALP/Lib voters you should be courting.
I’m a CFMEU union member and I was told buy my union delegate last week that they have been in contact with both the federal and Tasmanian labor parties expressing there anger and dissatisfaction at Tasmanian labor’s stance and opposition to the construction of the stadium . The cfmeu is one of labor’s biggest political supporters around Australia. It will be interesting if they continue down there current path and risk loosing some of there core support within the construction industry

The only real tweaking that could be done is either redeveloping Bellerive Oval (which won't happen without compulsory acquisition of many homes as well as the multitude of issues with light and noise in a suburban area) or making UTAS Stadium the central hub (with big renovations as well) but good luck securing any happiness in the South if that happens.

That is it - the AFL will rightfully demand a stadium that is keeping with their product - where it is, and what it looks like is up to Tasmania. Effectively none of the solutions on offer will come without a significant cost to the tax payer which completely flies in the argument put forward by those saying no. No matter what, they will still demand funding for health and housing regardless.

Contract specifies new stadium must be under way and near completion by 2027. There is no provision in the contract for a redevelopment of bellerive.

Tasmania doing a real good job of explaining why its taken 35 years for them to get a afl licence.

doing a great job of dicouraging anthing else from happening either. I mean i really hope they like BBL/WBBL Cricket, NBL and FIFO teams, because thats their destiny forever if this falls over.

doing a great job of dicouraging anthing else from happening either. I mean i really hope they like BBL/WBBL Cricket, NBL and FIFO teams, because thats their destiny forever if this falls over.
I would love to argue but you are just so right.

It has already done so much harm to us already. We should be a given for the super netball team but who in their right would trust us.

yep

AFL has been real clear on this. Its a stadium or bust. The only tweaking now is the stadium design.
Policies are tweaked day in and day out. Here on the mainland, for instance, Andrews tweaked a schools policy only 10 days after the budget. If I was the Tasmanian government I would ask the AFL for more money. The AFL wants a team in Tasmania, let it fund it properly. GM will be gone in a few months and who is to say that Dillon won’t be more “flexible, nimble or agile”?

Yep - would be ripe for the A League as well to swoop in as well

The problem with that is theres even less of a business case from a tourism perspective.

A-league fans dont travel, and clubs in recent times have had bugger all attendance as it is. And theyd want a new purpose built stadium - and i just dont see anyone letting that happen if this falls over.

Policies are tweaked day in and day out. Here on the mainland, for instance, Andrews tweaked a schools policy only 10 days after the budget. If I was the Tasmanian government I would ask the AFL for more money. The AFL wants a team in Tasmania, let it fund it properly. GM will be gone in a few months and who is to say that Dillon won’t be more “flexible, nimble or agile”?

its more than policy. Theres quite literally a signed contract on this one.

Also lets be real clear on this. The AFL didnt want a team in Tasmania. Tasmania did.

Gillon was the most flexible CEO the league has ever had, but even he had to do some convincing of the clubs and commission to go along with this.

Various AFL administrations have rejected license bids from the Tasmanian Government for over 30 years. Over that timeframe they had been incredibly clear that a Tasmanian team was not a priority for them.

The Tasmanian AFL Taskforce Report from several years ago was the first time that Tassie has presented a case that was compelling enough for the AFL to take notice. Although, don’t be confused, from day one it has been the Tasmanian Government driving this (not the AFL). Therefore, to suggest that the Tas Gov should hit up the league for more stadium funding (after prolonged negotiations and contracts have been signed) is absolutely ludicrous and represents a total misunderstanding of the situation.

The AFL has already admitted two expansion clubs over the past 10-12 years that run at a loss and require extensive financial support from them - quite rightly, they not prepared to accept another one.

$360 million not enough for you?

Almost as much as our own contribution to the stadium. It really is the deal of the century, and we are screwing it up so badly lol.
It's just mind boggling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Almost as much as our own contribution to the stadium. It really is the deal of the century, and we are screwing it up so badly lol.

Its still really in the realm of political brinksmanship.

The ALP are playing a dangerous game. Sure they want to make the most of putting the Government's 'feet to the fire' over the usual stuff, Health Housing, Education, plus perceived 'secret deals with the AFL'.

They're just using the anti everything brigade, the anti football, anti anything that's not health, housing, education lot & the build everything in the north grouping, (bringing up the rear)!

They are using populist clap trap. The State money is miniscule compared to the other budget areas noted. The stadium will gain an AFL team, & 360million from the AFL over a decade, produce 200 jobs with the Devils club, Thousands of jobs & hundreds of apprenticeships during the MacPoint development. Then hundreds of operational jobs.

So is If they do kill this off, there are a lot of Unions, Timber workers, pro-development Groups, Tourist bodies, & the mass of footy people who will put the ALP's 'feet to the fire' forever.

Its still really in the realm of political brinksmanship.

The ALP are playing a dangerous game. Sure they want to make the most of putting the Government's 'feet to the fire' over the usual stuff, Health Housing, Education, plus perceived 'secret deals with the AFL'.

They're just using the anti everything brigade, the anti football, anti anything that's not health, housing, education lot & the build everything in the north grouping, (bringing up the rear)!

They are using populist clap trap. The State money is miniscule compared to the other budget areas noted. The stadium will gain an AFL team, & 360million from the AFL over a decade, produce 200 jobs with the Devils club, Thousands of jobs & hundreds of apprenticeships during the MacPoint development. Then hundreds of operational jobs.

So is If they do kill this off, there are a lot of Unions, Timber workers, pro-development Groups, Tourist bodies, & the mass of footy people who will put the ALP's 'feet to the fire' forever.
If I was a "no stadium" person (for some sad reason, not sure who/why anyone would be like this), I wouldn't be trusting Labor anyway. The way they talk about the stadium is very wishy-washy, just using words like "not the right priority". I would be thinking Labor is going to sneak the stadium through in some way or another.

If I was a "no stadium" person (for some sad reason, not sure who/why anyone would be like this), I wouldn't be trusting Labor anyway. The way they talk about the stadium is very wishy-washy, just using words like "not the right priority". I would be thinking Labor is going to sneak the stadium through in some way or another.

Oh I very much agree. I think they're playing an awful game which suits no one except their own desire for attention & relevance. In the end, both sides may well hate them. The Noers could hate them for being strung along, the Yesers may hate them for treating this important development as just a political game.

I hope the ALP strategists are reading the tea leaves of the growing yesers group.

The problem with that is theres even less of a business case from a tourism perspective.

A-league fans dont travel, and clubs in recent times have had bugger all attendance as it is. And theyd want a new purpose built stadium - and i just dont see anyone letting that happen if this falls over.
The Aleague is looking to expand to 16 teams in 2025-26. Canberra and Auckland were confirmed as the locations for Aleague teams 13 and 14 for 2024-25, with 2 teams then scheduled to enter for 2025-26. Brisbane/SE Queensland should get the 15th spot, with Tasmania battling it out with other locations for the 16th team.

There seems to be an assumption in your statement that this is a problem-not sure a lot of people would agree with you.

The AFL doesn’t particularly want a team in Tasmania.
There is only a license because Tasmania pushed for it and the AFL set higher requirements than what applied for Gold Coast and GWS

I think the the exact same you see all there statements and media releases they talk a lot but they never actually confirm or will they answer that they will 100% try and kill the stadium . It would be a gigantic political risk for them to kill the stadium/team . people in Tasmania have very long memories and can hold grudges for a long time as well as pissing of the unions who hold a lot of power

To put things in perspective Ronaldo becomes world’s best-paid athlete after Saudi move.
The dollars here are chicken feed. Get private investment, look at Wrexham. I am called dumb but some people are just naive

Sorry, can you elaborate what you think you are "putting in perspective"?

Your comment seems completely unrelated to the thread you are responding to

How does regime laundering petro dollars paid to Ronaldo in his twilight have any relevance to Tasmania's reputational damage if the no campaign successfully destroys their AFL license?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back