List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Personally I think we have alot of glaring spots in the list that need to be drafted for, and usually 80% of the top 10 is reserved for midfielders.

And I know we keep listing the following blokes but usually 50% just dont make the cut, meaning a couple of Hewett, Ginbey, Culley, Burgiel, Hall and Johnston. I am going on the limb to say Reid, Long and Hough have what it takes and with the others I hope this is not the case and they all come on.

Also, who is the F/S for 2025?

I think he would be referring to the younger Banfield. Charlie, I think, who is killing it at the moment.

Personally I think we have alot of glaring spots in the list that need to be drafted for, and usually 80% of the top 10 is reserved for midfielders.

And I know we keep listing the following blokes but usually 50% just dont make the cut, meaning a couple of Hewett, Ginbey, Culley, Burgiel, Hall and Johnston. I am going on the limb to say Reid, Long and Hough have what it takes and with the others I hope this is not the case and they all come on.

Charlie Banfield

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think with Reid, Ginbey, Hewett, plus Kelly for a few more years along with whoever else, we have a solid enough inside mid group to work with. The other guys may be far from locks, but they are guys who should be tried out.
Grabbing a winger, and a half back, means guys like Duggan could help in the midfield.
We seem to be going for a playstyle that relies on inside mid power/clearance work, and rebounding off half back, I guess im thinking of getting that right first
Charlie Banfield, got invited to the WA state academy squad as an underager. Might be something there

194/195 assume no growth isn’t that bad. Thats Barrass/Mcgovern? There aren’t that many 198cm key backs but 3 to 4cm isn’t that significant. The guy is rated as an elite kick. Let’s draft another mid!! Let’s hope we don’t need a defence because of Harley who doesn’t tackle
Harley sits #9 in the club for Tackles this year having played one less game than everyone that sits above him.
He is also only 2 tackles away from cracking the top 5.
To say he doesn't tackle is a fallacy.

The AFL will likely give North a leg up again. I expect when Zurhaar leaves it will magically be another band 1 compo giving them an additional first rounder.

They'll likely get their targets.
😂 if Zurhaar triggers band 1 / pick 2 then the other 17 clubs will literally revolt
McKay was one thing. Zurhaar is another level

194/195 assume no growth isn’t that bad. Thats Barrass/Mcgovern? There aren’t that many 198cm key backs but 3 to 4cm isn’t that significant. The guy is rated as an elite kick. Let’s draft another mid!! Let’s hope we don’t need a defence because of Harley who doesn’t tackle
194cm vs 198cm is a massive difference at AFL level. Have a look at the KPF sizes, even in our own backyard Archer Reid is 203cm. Going to be pretty hard to defend him if you’re giving up 9cm in height not to mention reach. The way the game is going 194cm is more like the third tall who needs above average/elite intercepting and distribution. Smillie is 194cm as a midfielder.

Last edited:
I think with Reid, Ginbey, Hewett, plus Kelly for a few more years along with whoever else, we have a solid enough inside mid group to work with. The other guys may be far from locks, but they are guys who should be tried out.
Grabbing a winger, and a half back, means guys like Duggan could help in the midfield.
We seem to be going for a playstyle that relies on inside mid power/clearance work, and rebounding off half back, I guess im thinking of getting that right first

Charlie Banfield, got invited to the WA state academy squad as an underager. Might be something there

Plenty of gun mids develop as half backs or on the wing.

McKercher. Whitfield.

We wont be holding top 5 picks forever and nows the time to use them on top shelf mids.

Our tall forwards look stocked with experience and youth. Defenders can be found later in the draft or by trading later picks.

Yeo and Kelly also need replacing in 3 to 5 years with quality to support the other young mids.

There's no way in hell we have enough high quality mids yet. If we have a top 5 pick, unless the next JK is available, draft the elite midfielder. Surely the club has learned that lesson by now. Shirley.

Not sure Chesser or Ginbey will make it as midfielders, Hewett is perma-injured, Burgeil is a total unknown ... Reid the only sure bet we have.

EDIT: Forgot Culley. His best game before the ACL was as a forward...

Have watched him play for years - he's a very good footballer. Queries over his size and injury history are fair enough, but he's a talented kid worth having a punt on.

If he stays fit he's a decent chance to have a Best 22 spot there by the end of the year anyway.
We seem to be putting together a lot of outside players who are fleet of foot and love attacking the ground ball .

Garcia fits this bill . He would have a role to play IMO

There's no way in hell we have enough high quality mids yet. If we have a top 5 pick, unless the next JK is available, draft the elite midfielder. Surely the club has learned that lesson by now. Shirley.

Not sure Chesser or Ginbey will make it as midfielders, Hewett is perma-injured, Burgeil is a total unknown ... Reid the only sure bet we have.

EDIT: Forgot Culley. His best game before the ACL was as a forward...
Definitely two ways to look at this draft and good arguments for both but honestly a lot will be shaped by the intention of Warner and to a lesser extent Taylor next year. If Warner is coming it makes more sense to split this year and use our R1 next year to trade for Warner. If Taylor can’t knock back the $$ and we get Buss then mid is a better option. I’m just very concerned that if we don’t address KPD soon they are going to be too far behind Harley et al at their peak to win flags.

Watching yesterday's game made me realise we desperately need more mids with both Yeo and Kelly 30 this year.
Our depth is threadbare at the moment if you take Reid or Yeo out of the team.
The midfield becomes a lot less effective and dynamic.
Reid is the only sure thing.
Yeo is amazing, but you never know when we'll lose him again with his injury history.
Kelly is very inconsistent and seemingly only shows up when he wants to.
Hewett is a bit of lottery with his foot injury.
Ginbey may not end up as a mid as he struggles to find the ball.
Burgiel is unproven as a mid and is seemingly being developed as a defender.
Hall is still very prospective.
Johnston is a winger.
Culley is being developed as a forward and is probably too slow to be a mid in today's game.
The idea of turning Chesser into an inside mid is fanciful.
If we snag a few more wins, we may not have access to the best mids available.
We might overpay if we try to target Warner or Baker in the next few trade periods.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely two ways to look at this draft and good arguments for both but honestly a lot will be shaped by the intention of Warner and to a lesser extent Taylor next year. If Warner is coming it makes more sense to split this year and use our R1 next year to trade for Warner. If Taylor can’t knock back the $$ and we get Buss then mid is a better option. I’m just very concerned that if we don’t address KPD soon they are going to be too far behind Harley et al at their peak to win flags.

When Warner kicked a goal yesterday on the highlights he celebrated with the “show me the money fingers “moving ..
Maybe a moment or a message..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bring him and Sam Taylor home

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Been saying it for a while establishing a good trade relationship with GWS will be hugely mutually beneficial where players they can’t afford are exchanged for fair draft picks plus developing a destination club for Giants players. I think WCE_phil mentioned a while ago that getting Haynes as a draft capital free HBF going into a coaching role might be a wise move for the club. I’m hopeful we kept in dialogue with them to get them the end 2R compo for Flynn, rather than just “we want him, you get what you get”. Perryman and Cumming would have a lot to offer end of this year too.

I hope the Giants or Swans win the flag this year as I suspect it would make shaking next year’s targets lose a bit easier with a flag under their belt .

Brissy could be ripe for the picking if a few things play out.

McGluggage goes in FA.

Could have 2 top 10 picks up for grabs and have Ashcroft in that his draft.

Do they trade that for pick 1? Or trade them for a future first?

At least another player has entered the race of teams split the top 4 picks.
Brisbane in the same position with mccluggage as we were with gaff .

Either pay the ransom or get a s**t pick not worthy of the player .

I know Brisbane are bottom 6 atm but I expect them to finish mid table .

Ashcroft being a top 3 pick screws them .

If they lose mccluggage I can see them targeting another high priced mid

It would seem a clear message is being sent to Gaff to help him make the decision to retire by leaving him in the WAFL.

You wonder what was said at the end of last year. Did they foreshadow this scenario of him having long stints in the WAFL and offer him a pay out to retire and he decided of his own volition to back himself in to play on and regain his spot in the best 22, or did they encourage him to play on?
What is the point of paying out gaff 1 million dollars to retire ?

1 list spot for a 75th rated kid in the draft ?
The salary would still come under the cap .

Happy for gaff to run around in the magoos and teach the draftees . On field leadership and training standards.

Unfortunately gaff and sheed don't fit into our current fleet foot pressure ground ball game .

Sheed will be the interesting one . Will he ask for a trade ? He is contracted for another season

If it was the difference between getting Chad Warner or not?

I’d definitely prefer GWS no question.

Need GWS to beat the Swans.

Would be Warner's 2nd GF loss with the Swans.

Would also heap more pressure on the unfair cheap academy access.

And if Sheldrick misses out as well he may look elsewhere for opportunities.

What is the point of paying out gaff 1 million dollars to retire ?

1 list spot for a 75th rated kid in the draft ?
The salary would still come under the cap .

Happy for gaff to run around in the magoos and teach the draftees . On field leadership and training standards.

Unfortunately gaff and sheed don't fit into our current fleet foot pressure ground ball game .

Sheed will be the interesting one . Will he ask for a trade ? He is contracted for another season

Why would Gaff get $1m to retire 6 months before his contract runs out?

He on $800k and would have already been paid half that by mid year.

Once again you are convenient with the truth. My takeaway from your comments are that we should not draft a KPD early. You then say generally this, and always that and then we must do something else. I ask for sufficient examples of why not draft a KPD early and you came back with 2 examples (McCasey's issues were pretty well known in recruiting circles prior to the draft). That is not generally.

A simple question. From what we know now and we hold a top 10 pick, would you take Gov, May, Lever, or Taylor?

Let me slow down and inquire as to why you would not draft a KPD in the top 10?
You wouldn't drafy a KPD in the top 10, because that player, or an equivalent player, will likely be available later, because clubs don't draft KPD players early.

Instead, draft a high quality mid or high quality forward early, because they will be gone later.

On SM-X200 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Watching yesterday's game made me realise we desperately need more mids with both Yeo and Kelly 30 this year.
Our depth is threadbare at the moment if you take Reid or Yeo out of the team.
The midfield becomes a lot less effective and dynamic.
Reid is the only sure thing.
Yeo is amazing, but you never know when we'll lose him again with his injury history.
Kelly is very inconsistent and seemingly only shows up when he wants to.
Hewett is a bit of lottery with his foot injury.
Ginbey may not end up as a mid as he struggles to find the ball.
Burgiel is unproven as a mid and is seemingly being developed as a defender.
Hall is still very prospective.
Johnston is a winger.
Culley is being developed as a forward and is probably too slow to be a mid in today's game.
The idea of turning Chesser into an inside mid is fanciful.
If we snag a few more wins, we may not have access to the best mids available.
We might overpay if we try to target Warner or Baker in the next few trade periods.

Apart from the Chesser comment thats pretty spot on.

Edit: A bit harsh on Kelly as others have pointed out.

Smith, Draper or Smillie. Need another top 5 mid this draft.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back