Analysis Coronavirus - The Impact II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know a lot of you aren't letting yourselves think about stuff like this but with enough hard work and a lot of luck, we could get a bit of a WAFL season this year.

Crowds would have to be limited but they could put a couple of games a week on TV and it would be a bonanza.

I would be aiming to start in early June, assuming the numbers don't start turning on us.

Another good day for the state and the country.
If WA keeps this up I could see restrictions being relaxed a little, starting with school returning on schedule next term.
I'll be keeping a particular eye on the "unknown sources" positive tests, which currently stands at a ridiculously low total of 6 cases for WA.
View attachment 852387
School isn’t returning on schedule next term.

School isn’t returning on schedule next term.
Thanks CC.
(And just to be clear, I wasn't trying to be misleading. Was just speculating. If WA stays on the current path (and that's still a big if) then keeping this level of restrictions might actually be counterproductive, so I suspect the powers that be would be looking for areas to relax. If school is out then perhaps they might allow some limited grouping again such as limited seating at cafes/restaurants instead)

Appreciate your updates a heap Biggie, but if you need a break, step away from this role for a bit. We'll be right :thumbsu:
Tbh - it’s keeping me in some sort of weird routine

My 5 yr old has been a nightmare today. The ex doesn’t have her much due to her living arrangements so very little chopout out today plus trying to pack rooms in preparation for the selling (at a loss no doubt) got me down.

I’m good. Maybe it’s the Captain Morgan talking :D

Thanks CC.
(And just to be clear, I wasn't trying to be misleading. Was just speculating. If WA stays on the current path (and that's still a big if) then keeping this level of restrictions might actually be counterproductive, so I suspect the powers that be would be looking for areas to relax. If school is out then perhaps they might allow some limited grouping again such as limited seating at cafes/restaurants instead)
The very reason we are reducing the infection rates is because of these restrictions. Without them, the infections would rise once again.

Interesting. I have 3 casual workers who have been with me for over 5 years. Apart from Easter we are extremely quiet and they earn between $300- $500 a week and much less when it is quiet. This suits their lifestyle. With the jobkeeper payment I have put in place for them, they are earning $1500 a fortnight, way more than they would working for me. I know lots of people in the same situation. Weird . However, because my work has dried up 99-100 percent, I have to go on job seeker payment, which is far less. Like I said, weird. All these new policies materialised basically overnight. Normally takes years to get through parliament. Almost like they were ready to implement these policies , with no opposition from the opposition . Anyone heard anything from Albo ? Mods, feel free to chuck this in with the lizards . Just weird eh.

Interesting. I have 3 casual workers who have been with me for over 5 years. Apart from Easter we are extremely quiet and they earn between $300- $500 a week and much less when it is quiet. This suits their lifestyle. With the jobkeeper payment I have put in place for them, they are earning $1500 a fortnight, way more than they would working for me. I know lots of people in the same situation. Weird . However, because my work has dried up 99-100 percent, I have to go on job seeker payment, which is far less. Like I said, weird. All these new policies materialised basically overnight. Normally takes years to get through parliament. Almost like they were ready to implement these policies , with no opposition from the opposition . Anyone heard anything from Albo ? Mods, feel free to chuck this in with the lizards . Just weird eh.
The opposition have been really quiet everywhere, except a little from Kristina Keneally with Scomo & Dutton.

The state opposition in WA - I literally have heard nothing from them. Which is probably a good thing, and also a reflection on how McGowan has handled things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The very reason we are reducing the infection rates is because of these restrictions. Without them, the infections would rise once again.
Absolutely. I understand that.
Given how effective the measures have proven to be and how little community transmission there has been, it's possible that they will go for the jugular and aim for zero infections for a week+, but I also think it's possible they could opt for a "keep the curve flat but non-zero" approach. We'll see. Plenty of water to go under the bridge before we have the luxury of choosing.

As I understand it, if you're self-employed and you have lost at least 30% of your business revenue, you are eligible for the Jobkeeper payment.

McGowan rn
f0ed8c06e91dc9c8d68ebf1c198b6ff0.gif

Works put us on reduced hours and a 25% reduced salary. Combined its equivalent to a 40% cut. Fortunately it covers the mortgage and bills.
Sorry to hear this bud. Hopefully hours and salary increase soon 👍🏽

The opposition have been really quiet everywhere, except a little from Kristina Keneally with Scomo & Dutton.

The state opposition in WA - I literally have heard nothing from them. Which is probably a good thing, and also a reflection on how McGowan has handled things.
Never been a Labor voter. But Mr McGowan has my vote. Great leadership.

As I understand it, if you're self-employed and you have lost at least 30% of your business revenue, you are eligible for the Jobkeeper payment.
Correct. Trying to prove that 30% when your income fluctuates from month to month is the grey area. Point being, why is the government paying more for unemployed and casual workers than they already receive ? Georgie may be able to enlighten us ?

Correct. Trying to prove that 30% when your income fluctuates from month to month is the grey area. Point being, why is the government paying more for unemployed and casual workers than they already receive ? Georgie may be able to enlighten us ?
The 30% decrease has to be from an equivalent month last financial, I believe. ie March 2019 v March 2020 etc.

The 30% decrease has to be from an equivalent month last financial, I believe. ie March 2019 v March 2020 etc.

Trying to prove that 30% when your income fluctuates from month to month is the grey area.
ATO will take into account year on year income variability:

‘Where a business was not in operation a year earlier, or where their turnover a year earlier was not representative of their usual or average turnover, (e.g. because there was a large interim acquisition, they were newly established or their turnover is typically highly variable) the Tax Commissioner will have discretion to consider additional information that the business can provide to establish that they have been significantly affected by the impacts of the Coronavirus.’

I’m going to apply and my income is highly variable. I can’t even be certain I would have gotten any work through this period, but clients I was speaking to about work starting in April or May have emailed me to say it’s definitely not happening because of knock on effects caused by the virus.

If in doubt, apply for it. Register your interest at the ATO website. I’d provide a link, but of course it’s down right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back