Could Carlton be a serious contender in this random season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you living in reality? Cunningham has played one good game and Gibbons has been ok.

Curnow is a lock to be top 10 most likely top 5 and I expect Simpson will be clearly top 10 by the end of the year.

Cuningham probably won’t, but Gibbons would be in the top 10 at this stage. Vastly underrated player.

E. Curnow is probably in our best ten, but not by much, Simpson could go either way but it’s looking like a pretty natural progression from the older guard otherwise. Willo will effectively play Simmo’s role when he retires, Setterfield is building into a good player and his peak should be at least as good as E. Curnow at his best.

The main stakeholders are still Cripps, Docherty, C. Curnow, Weitering, McKay, Martin and Walsh - none of these guys are old. We are then growing our next layer, which compromises guys SPS, Fisher, Setterfield and Pittonet, who are still developing. At worst they’ll be best 22 contributors, but if they became A-graders I won’t be too surprised.

We’ve moved past Kreuzer with Pittonet, Murphy is no longer the player he was and Betts will hopefully be replaced directly by Papley.

Naturally you have to replace older players, but it’s no better or worse than other teams.

Are you living in reality? Cunningham has played one good game and Gibbons has been ok.

Curnow is a lock to be top 10 most likely top 5 and I expect Simpson will be clearly top 10 by the end of the year.

Gibbons would be top 10 for sure. He's been consistently good. Curnow could possibly be thereabouts for top 10, but no way would he be top 5. Martin, Cripps, Pittonet, Weitering, Docherty would easy have those sewn up. Cuningham was BOG, with the BnF system at Carlton and only 6 games gone, that would give him a top 10 berth.

I'm not into playing fantasy future "by year's end". You spoke of being realistic about contribution, which binds us to reality, being the first 6 games.

I'm a long time member. What I don't do is pay salaries. If you seriously think your membership pays individuals salaries you sound ezactly like the morons who think they are in charge of police because you pay taxes.

You said you didn't pay a cent. Fair to say one of your membership cents has gone into Betts' salary.

It seriously shits me this talk of average age. Simpson and Betts alone being in the side skews the age bracket to the higher end. And who cares about the average age? We have so much young talent coming through plus the kids on the list currently playing in the side that we actually need the older players to help them out. I'm sure we all remember when the dees a few years ago into their rebuild went FAR too young. Getting smashed week in, week out. *, we were the same a few years ago as well. You cannot possibly have every player under 25 on your list. It just doesn't work. We have the likes of Marchbank, Charlie, JSOS, Fisher, Dow, O'Brien plus the young kid we picked up 1st last year (his name escapes me) and Philp all waiting in the wings. I have no worries in regards to bringing in youth to cover for anyone on the list.
Also, the players we have on our list haven't played together as a whole for as long as the doggies players have. Bringing in Betts, McG, Newnes, Martin and Pittonet (almost a quarter of the team on game day) who have played approx 6 games together playing so well is a testament to the coaching abilities of our coach (who is also under 20 games total as senior coach) and the playing list. I'm not getting ahead of ourselves- we still have a LONG way to go. But just remember where we were in 2018. Dead last. Poor %. Laughed at by all and sundry. Looked hopeless. Come 2019 we improved greatly upon that with the help of more senior players in the team and a coach who allowed the freedom for the players to play a more natural, free flowing and attacking game. 2020 has shown that with a healthy mix of age and talent we can match it with the best.

Mate, Jones is on fire and has been for a long time now. No need to replace him in a hurry.

Jones is 29, so I suggest we'd still get a few good years out of him before he hangs up the boots. We already have a replacement for him in Marchbank, assuming he can ever get out on the park.

Wow!
Now that is an interesting stat.
Gives a whole different context- I knew I wasn't that crazy- I have watched all of Carlton's games this year (bar maybe a half) and they have looked thereabouts in all of them.
This stat proves it.

So you'll know we lost to Melbnourne and St.Kilda because we started very very badly. You just can't give any team the start we gave these guys and expect to win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What fantasy world do you live in?

We whooped you by 44 points last year too young pup.
Not the same fantasy world as you little man. 6 years it took you until 2019 to continuously beat us. You go crawl back into your little hole now that you've resided in for 20 years, and which you'll stay in after your loss to Port this weekend.

Not the same fantasy world as you little man. 6 years it took you until 2019 to continuously beat us. You go crawl back into your little hole now that you've resided in for 20 years, and which you'll stay in after your loss to Port this weekend.
They come out when they win and when they get a wake-up call, they'll be gone just like that. They don't have the list to contend for anything.

It seriously shits me this talk of average age. Simpson and Betts alone being in the side skews the age bracket to the higher end. And who cares about the average age? We have so much young talent coming through plus the kids on the list currently playing in the side that we actually need the older players to help them out. I'm sure we all remember when the dees a few years ago into their rebuild went FAR too young. Getting smashed week in, week out. fu**, we were the same a few years ago as well. You cannot possibly have every player under 25 on your list. It just doesn't work. We have the likes of Marchbank, Charlie, JSOS, Fisher, Dow, O'Brien plus the young kid we picked up 1st last year (his name escapes me) and Philp all waiting in the wings. I have no worries in regards to bringing in youth to cover for anyone on the list.
Also, the players we have on our list haven't played together as a whole for as long as the doggies players have. Bringing in Betts, McG, Newnes, Martin and Pittonet (almost a quarter of the team on game day) who have played approx 6 games together playing so well is a testament to the coaching abilities of our coach (who is also under 20 games total as senior coach) and the playing list. I'm not getting ahead of ourselves- we still have a LONG way to go. But just remember where we were in 2018. Dead last. Poor %. Laughed at by all and sundry. Looked hopeless. Come 2019 we improved greatly upon that with the help of more senior players in the team and a coach who allowed the freedom for the players to play a more natural, free flowing and attacking game. 2020 has shown that with a healthy mix of age and talent we can match it with the best.
Paragraphs please.

Other than that, you are spot on.

Did you forget the 28 point whooping we gave you in 2014?

Your memory is pretty bad for a young pup!

If they play finals which is very possible, I think that would be a huge achievement for their development. Even if they got bundled out in week 1, I reckon they'd still take that as a season 2020.
Its a very weird year though, so its hard to say how much we can look at any team and how that form translates to 2021 when we have:

-home grounds
-crowds
-longer matches
-no adjustments for bubbles

It is no surprise that the strong teams of recent years (WCE and Rich) have found it harder to adapt as the players are more mature and probably have to balance family life and worry about kids etc

I remember when I was in my early 20s, travel was easy and it was easy to adjust to hostels or long trips.

Now later in life its much harder as we need more rest and have to worry about 4 ppl not just 1.

They come out when they win and when they get a wake-up call, they'll be gone just like that. They don't have the list to contend for anything.

We've been rubbish for years, but the last thing you can accuse Carlton supporters of is anonymity when we're down. Our supporters are generally quite happy to give as good as we get regardless of where we are sitting on the ladder. It's definitely going to be an interesting few months if we keep on this current wave of momentum though.

The fact we've already got a bunch of opposite supporters flooding this thread already trying to discredit us is an awesome thing.

Last edited:

No wonder you so angry. All those loses.

Carlton v Footscray

Games 149
Won 89
Drew 4
Lost 56

Remove this Banner Ad

Back