Religion Could you go from Atheist->Theist or Theist->Atheist?

Remove this Banner Ad

the odds of life as we know it developing on earth? maybe 100,000,000,000,000,000,000 to 1.

how many planets in the universe? a hell of a lot more than that. you do know what is meant by infinite P35?

recently organic particles were found in asteroids, i firmly believe these were the building blocks of life.

the odds of life as we know it developing on earth? maybe 100,000,000,000,000,000,000 to 1.

how many planets in the universe? a hell of a lot more than that. you do know what is meant by infinite P35?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/04/100428142302.htm

"The organics we detected appear to be complex, long-chained molecules. Raining down on a barren Earth in meteorites, these could have given a big kick-start to the development of life," Emery said.

But no no, we need a god to put these things on an asteroid and then rain em down on earth for life to exist. :rolleyes:

Now let me ask the believers, why is god putting organic molecules on an asteroid, whats the purpose? to fool us? :rolleyes:

And yet, you're prepared to back those odds against a very simple, yet universal notion/belief in/about God....Which has abounded ever since recorded human history....Go figure.o_O

And yet, you're prepared to back those odds against a very simple, yet universal notion/belief in/about God....Which has abounded ever since recorded human history....Go figure.o_O
we fundamentally disagree on the importance of our existence and also on the need for there to be a purpose/reason for our existence. we just are not as special as we think we are.

we just exist because it was possible and there is no purpose except for what we decide on a personal level. i could be wrong though, after all i am agnostic.

we fundamentally disagree on the importance of our existence and also on the need for there to be a purpose/reason for our existence. we just are not as special as we think we are.

we just exist because it was possible and there is no purpose except for what we decide on a personal level. i could be wrong though, after all i am agnostic.
The fact that these god believers think we actually matter! to the rest of the universe we dont even exist. The fact that our actions MATTER is the biggest fallacy in their logic. And secondly jason, there may be millions of planets out there supporting life out there, we dont even know enough about our planet, how can we make a judgement on whats suitable for life out there and whats not? if there is oxygen and water then life will exist no one needs god for that.

Earth has 19% oxygen only, our lungs took millions and millions of years to evolve to filter out the dangerous co2 that might affect our body. You call this fine tuning?

The fact that these god believers think we actually matter! to the rest of the universe we dont even exist. The fact that our actions MATTER is the biggest fallacy in their logic. And secondly jason, there may be millions of planets out there supporting life out there, we dont even know enough about our planet, how can we make a judgement on whats suitable for life out there and whats not? if there is oxygen and water then life will exist no one needs for that
yep, there could be life forms out there that we can not even comprehend at this stage in our evolution. i used to love this series as a kid/ young adult, we don't know what could be out there.

yep, there could be life forms out there that we can not even comprehend at this stage in our evolution. i used to love this series as a kid/ young adult, we don't know what could be out there.

I do firmly believe the biggest mistake is to believe that life can exist under certain conditions, why cant the other way be true? maybe life exists in another galaxy where they dont need water! who knows? we can only see 10 planets (that even not properly), we are in position to judge whats out there.

Ah yes, Star Trek....That post-modern homage to the human imagination....That same imagination you & others in here, are so quick to decry, whenever the concept of God is mentioned....Then it's just a bunch of fairy-tales.:drunk:

Here's my generation's answer:

Ah yes, Star Trek....That post-modern homage to the human imagination....That same imagination you & others in here, are so quick to decry, whenever the concept of God is mentioned....Then it's just a bunch of fairy-tales.:drunk:
Finally you got something right lol.. star trek is FICTION. I dont think anyone sane considers star trek to be real. Congrats, a first for you

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's my generation's answer:

didn't mind lost in space although not in the star trek class. agree with TP, it is a magnificent thing that the human species has evolved to a state where we have imagination, but i would say just because you can imagine it does not mean you should have faith in it and base your whole life philosophy on it.

didn't mind lost in space although not in the star trek class. agree with TP, it is a magnificent thing that the human species has evolved to a state where we have imagination, but i would say just because you can imagine it does not mean you should have faith in it and base your whole life philosophy on it.
Human imagination is now a fact, let me guess the millions of alien abduction stories online must be true as well! :rolleyes:

if I saw evidence of a creator I would still not be a theist because that creator would have to be evil to create the world it has.

For the sake of the argument, I'm going to assume you believe in self-determinism.

So you believe that if you were to see evidence of a creator, humans no longer have any moral responsibility of their own?

You believe that the creator would be ultimately responsible for every decision we make?

An example would be Einstein and the atomic bomb. Do you think Einstein is to blame for Hiroshima? (My knowledge of the atomic bomb is pretty low, so I'm making the assumption his word led to its creation).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no way I could foresee me calling myself either an atheist or a theist. Neither word is adequate to the task of describing the complexity of what it is for me to be a human being. It regularly surprises me that people see the need to attach labels to themselves, as if that's all there is. To do so is to place unwarranted and unhelpful strictures on existence.

For the sake of the argument, I'm going to assume you believe in self-determinism.

So you believe that if you were to see evidence of a creator, humans no longer have any moral responsibility of their own?

You believe that the creator would be ultimately responsible for every decision we make?

An example would be Einstein and the atomic bomb. Do you think Einstein is to blame for Hiroshima? (My knowledge of the atomic bomb is pretty low, so I'm making the assumption his word led to its creation).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the world is created by a loving creator then humans would not experiance old age and the pain that comes along with it. And let's not go into human deformities created at birth. Humans would also experiance greater degrees of happiness from their daily experiance and would not suffer extreme anxieties, depression etc. yes anxiety and fear are useful in certain situations, but we experiance them today for reasons that provide no use to our survival. Humans would also not be motivated by net zero sum status seeking if the world was created by a loving creator. Obviously there would also be no reason why plagues and Natural disasters would exist in a world created by a loving creator. I could go on and on here. The only conclusion for an omnipotent God if he exists is that he is evil and should be despised. If a God does exist and he is not omnipotent then whoever created the God must then be the evil one.

Last edited:
There is no way I could foresee me calling myself either an atheist or a theist. Neither word is adequate to the task of describing the complexity of what it is for me to be a human being. It regularly surprises me that people see the need to attach labels to themselves, as if that's all there is. To do so is to place unwarranted and unhelpful strictures on existence.
The fact you don't like the labels that are discussed doesn't mean you are above labels. it just means you are defined by labels that havnt bothered to be named.

Well, Yes....I was being ironic.:rolleyes:

You need to let go of this obsessive stalking TP....It's not healthy for your soul Javert....You'll just end up les miserables.:'(
Do you think you could stop posting in this thread?
You're just posting the same thing you post in the other two or three religious threads, and it's not the topic of this thread.

This thread is about what can make you change your position on a/theism. Which is an interesting discussion.
So if you want to post on topic, I am more than happy for you to stay. But I was wondering, if you're going to continue the way you are, could you please just keep it in the two or three other threads that you're already doing it in?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back