Women's Footy Crows AFLW Season 2020 - The Defending Premiers

Remove this Banner Ad

Jess Foley has retired

giphy.gif

:'( What a great player, her ability to influence Crows games results was that of a female equivalent of Shaun Rehn.

Took up the game so late and absolutely ruled the ruck position for the team both at the stoppages and around the ground with clever body work and skill. Played some amazing matches in 2019 including dominant performances against Melbourne at Casey Fields and Carlton in the GF and was robbed of being All-Australian due to Vic bias. Her game against Geelong in Round 3 this year was one of the best I’ve seen in AFLW and easily the best I’ve seen played by a ruck in AFLW and will go a long way to be beaten.

Will be bloody hard to replace, reading what Marinoff had to say on the Instagram post; her, Hatchard and Phillips know just how much their bread was buttered by Jess.

Last edited:
Huge loss, although it makes the recruitment of McKinnon even more important. This may be overstating things slightly (or maybe not?) but I honestly think without her we may not have won the 2019 premiership. I know we ended up a mile ahead of the other teams in the final few rounds, but in those crucial early games where we could easily have lost matches, she absolutely was enormous. Without her, we would literally have had no fit ruck on the list, and would have been forced to move someone like Allan or Rajcic or even someone like Nankivell or Perkins in there. I can certanly see a scenario where we could have ended losing the Carlton or Geelong games and been boxed out of the finals.

Either way, thanks Jess for being a part of our amazing 2019 season :) We'll miss her!

As the AFL models their Men's competition a small line was that it could be small lists like the AFLW and have 10 train on players. 2 are known as the early injuries with Martin playing. Would anyone know who the 10 would be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Courtney Cramey has announced her retirement.

https://www.afc.com.au/news/743218/courtney-cramey-announces-retirement

Sad, but not unexpected given the injury troubles she's had the last few years.

Her performance in the 2017 GF was huge, particularly coming off injury the previous week. I don't think it's hyperbole to say we probably wouldn't have won that GF without her.

I hope the club can keep her involved in some way. She's been such a leader for women's footy in SA for years now.

Does that mean we draft for Position replacements rather than best talent.
Does Amber Ward come into the picture as Key Defender. Players we could look to draft Indy Tahau, Teah Charlton, Rachelle Martin, Czenya Cavouras, Ash Woodlands, Amber Ward, A Ballard and A Ballard.

Last edited:
Remaining players who will be 30+ in Feb 1st are Phillips (35), Forth (34), Foley (32) and Rajcic (31). The latter two still have a year left on their contract, for what it's worth.

Does that mean we draft for Position replacements rather than best talent.
Does Amber Ward come into the picture as Key Defender. Players we could look to draft Indy Tahau, Teah Charlton, Rachelle Martin, Czenya Cavouras, Ash Woodlands, Amber Ward, A Ballard and A Ballard.

Did a bit of a deep dive about the 2020 AFLW draft and how the Crows team should structure up next year, think it’s now time where the AFLW competition’s been around long enough and SA women’s football is strong enough you can now actually draft more for needs.

The club if they were smart would realise besides the injuries the areas where the team fell down woefully last season were speed/run in the midfield, forward structure & personnel and positional/specific roles for defenders.

Getting in a natural goal kicker in Charlton and someone with the athletic ability of Tahau at CHF will help the forward line, but they need to change the setup to a more traditional forward structure and decide whether Biddell who will improve and has kicked some goals in the SANFLW is the way forward, if not a more experienced key forward needs to be drafted like a Ashleigh Woodlands or Kelly Barltrop from North Adelaide.

Defence just needs to be restructured and the tools look to already be there so no need to desperately draft any defenders especially with Randall slotting back in, but if they can find another tall to play back there hopefully with a positional change for Montana McKinnon to free up Randall a bit and Maddison Newman is actually settled & played in her best position across half back, natural improvement should come from that.

Midfield speed and running capabilities is the big issue, got cut up last season from teams with midfields that had good runners, finding players from the SANFLW to fix this is also tough only two I can see doing this are Norwood duo Matilda Zander and Mattea Breed, both standouts this season in a middle of the road side in Norwood.

Drafting Breed is complicated by the fact she’s originally from the NT & did play U/18 for the Central Allies last year but wasn’t picked up by the Gold Coast so would need her to nominate SA and have the Crows select her early, she was a standout junior in the NT but didn’t have that good a U/18s carnival last year but came on leaps and bounds with Norwood this year, is a great height for a midfielder, deceptively strong, has pace and is a neat kick. Zander aged 22 looks like a very good late developer a small mid that gets a lot of ball, bursts out of stoppages and runs hard forward and back, read she was going to play for Collingwood in the VFLW this year before the cancellation so again getting her to nominate SA and taking her early would be a priority.

The club’s decision between loyalty or progress will be tested whether they draft Rachelle Martin and Czenya Cavouras after having them as supplement players, I personally wouldn’t as they don’t provide much of what others on the list don’t already do and there are others at SANFLW level who have more complimentary skill sets for the squad.

It should be a defining year for Metcalfe in 2021
She looked cooked at the end of the season, she was a late starter who already didn’t have good skills or the best feel for the game and a year off with the knee didn’t improve that. The ruck position needs to be sorted as well, McKinnon does not look remotely like a ruck, she looks totally uncomfortable in any ruck contest, where as Caitlin Gould does have some untapped potential and very good hands but also a totally unnatural kicking action and needs to get better at ruck contests as she’s even getting well beaten at SANFLW level. With Jess Foley’s retirement I’d go down that experienced SANFLW path again and draft Leah Cutting from Norwood, 28 years old, 184cm tall and is the standout ruck in that competition and a much better player than Metcalfe.

With Wallace, Foley, Cramey, Li and Gum already gone, Campbell, Metcalfe and/or Tabb should be the most in danger of being delisted.

Personal Draft preferences:

Teah Charlton (South Adelaide, Position: Small Forward/Midfielder, Height: 170 cm, Age: 17)

Indy Tahau (South Adelaide, Utility/Key Forward, 176 cm, 17)

Mattea Breed (Norwood, Midfielder, 174 cm, 18)

Matilda Zander (Norwood, Midfielder, 160 cm, 22)

Leah Cutting (Norwood, Ruck, 184cm, 28)

Next best options:

Ashleigh Woodlands (North Adelaide, Forward, 173cm, 21)

Kelly Barltrop (North Adelaide, Ruck/Key Forward, 181 cm, 26)

Amber Ward (North Adelaide, Defender, 175cm, 18)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back