Women's Footy Crows AFLW Season 2022 The 2nd - Defending Our Flag for Back to Back Glory

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rd 1 - Most disposals on ground in 8 goal win
Rd 2 - 5th most disposals on ground (2nd most for Brisbane) in 8 goal win
Rd 3 - Most disposals on ground in 12 goal win
Rd 4 - 2nd most disposals on ground (most for Brisbane) in 3 goal win
Rd 5 - =17 most disposals on ground (=8 for Brisbane) in 4 point loss
Rd 6 - Most disposals on ground in 7 goal win
Rd 7 - Most disposals on ground in 1 goal win
Rd 8 - 3rd most disposals on ground (most for Brisbane) in 4 goal win
Rd 9 - Most disposals on ground in 9 goal win
Rd 10 - Most disposals on ground in 7 goal win

You could argue that she was best on ground in 6 games and should've received votes in 2 other games with a possibility of 1 other.

Rd 1 - 3 votes fair
Rd 2 - 0 votes understandable
Rd 3 - 3 votes fair
Rd 4 - 2 votes fair
Rd 5 - 0 votes obvious
Rd 6 - 2 votes fair
Rd 7 - 2 votes fair
Rd 8 - 3 votes fair
Rd 9 - 3 votes fair
Rd 10 - 3 votes fair

You might be able to argue she was robbed of 1 MAYBE 2 votes in Rd 2. But beyond that.

If anything, it's bs she didn't make the AA squad. I'd have left Randall out myself (missed 3 games didn't she? If you extrapolate 3 games to the mens game (6) it's bs Tex hasn't made the AA squad in 2021)

Fifth time most courageous player for Chelsea Randall, that's five times out of seven seasons. Considering she missed the entirety of the 2020 season, literally the only season she has played without winning it was the one earlier this year (it went to Kirsty Lamb) when she missed six games with injury.

What an absolute warrior we have leading our club :thumbsu:

Fifth time most courageous player for Chelsea Randall, that's five times out of seven seasons. Considering she missed the entirety of the 2020 season, literally the only season she has played without winning it was the one earlier this year (it went to Kirsty Lamb) when she missed six games with injury.

What an absolute warrior we have leading our club :thumbsu:
She’s like the female version of Glen Archer. Absolutely fierce and fearless competitor.

Anne Hatchard won the B&F but In my eyes Biddell should have won it. She did win players player and best defensive player.
An actual joke, Biddell would’ve hit more targets in one game than Hatchard did all season. I didn’t even think Hatchard had an All-Australian standard season, both awards she got on reputation and people just looking at raw numbers of possession not what was done with them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least it was extremely close between Hatchard, Marinoff and Biddell. 343, 339 and 336 votes is very tight at the top! Then all the way down to Sarah Allan with 286 votes in 4th place.

But I agree, if Biddell doesn't win the B&F based on her season then they may as well just stop bothering to give votes to anyone not in the starting midfield.

The top 8 feels roughly right to me, other than Hatchard being rated higher than I would have gone. Biddell, Marinoff and Hatchard in a group by themselves, with Allan, Thompson, Randall, Gould and Charlton in a separate slightly lower group. Other than Hatchard probably belonging in the slightly lower group this season, that is pretty much how I saw the season as well. Nice to see Newman creep into 9th place, too! Woodland at 10th is a surprise, but to be fair, she was often being asked to do the impossible in our forward line.

Jones and Ponter both not featuring in our top ten probably goes part of the way to explain why we didn't go all the way this season.

Last edited:
2 B&F’s in one calendar year is a pretty impressive effort.

Also, Ailish Considine has retired.

The Crows make it out that she was delisted, no mention of retired

I don't think she's looking to continue her career with another club though, hence why I assumed she retired.

She's returning to Ireland Monday.

Biddell deserves the BnF this season, simply the fact she often beat her opponents throughout the season. Hatchard was supreme in some of the games, but I reckon in about a handful of the games she was either matched or beaten by her direct opponents. Value-wise, Biddell was the more effective and efficient player (this season).

Having said the above, congrats to Hatchard. Aside from the declining foot skills, she did work her backside off in getting to so many contests.

Hatchard is still a very good player, she was just a long way off her best. Most of her disposal going inside 50 this season was atrocious, it just kept coming off the side of the boot. Even the few goals she got mostly came from shanks!

Apparently Marinoff played round 10 and the two finals with a syndesmosis injury. No wonder she was off her best in the finals!

With Biddell, my feeling is that as long as the position a player is in is deemed important (and Biddell's obviously is) then for the B&F they should be judged on how well they performed compared to reasonable expectations of that role. Biddell was not beaten all season long, and became our most useful offensive weapon out of defence. She also took most of our kick-ins, to very good effect. What more could she possibly do? I honestly don't think anyone could have had a better season in that role than she did. If I was scoring her out of 100 I'd be giving her something in the high 90s. If Hatchard had a season like the previous one, then fair enough - that was also a high 90s kind of season. But not this season.

Last edited:
Good on her for reading the tea leaves. Going out as a dual premiership player would be more than she would have dreamed of when she came over here!

She’s an interesting case study in terms of Irish converts who come over and play Australian Rules, was she a mould breaker in that her football ability was actually better when she first started and played more on instinct and it diminished as she played more games and had more technical coaching? or was she just always very ordinary, never grasped the nature of the sport and as the standard increased it became obvious to everyone bar the selection committee that chose her over Madi Newman for a Grand final in a totally dumb selection move that I will hold a grudge about for a long time.

Still though chose the right team to reach out to that took a chance on her in the AFLW.

She’s an interesting case study in terms of Irish converts who come over and play Australian Rules, was she a mould breaker in that her football ability was actually better when she first started and played more on instinct and it diminished as she played more games and had more technical coaching? or was she just always very ordinary, never grasped the nature of the sport and as the standard increased it became obvious to everyone bar the selection committee that chose her over Madi Newman for a Grand final in a totally dumb selection move that I will hold a grudge about for a long time.

Still though chose the right team to reach out to and take a chance on her in the AFLW.

I think her athleticism and ability to kick a long ball helped her to be a useful contributor in 2019. By 2021 the standard of the competition had just gone past her.

As bad as playing her over Newman this year was, I'm still convinced that we would have won in 2021 if Randall had been able to play instead of her.

Thought this was one of Hatchard's worse years since becoming a star player. I'm glad Biddell at least won the players player award. She well deserved it and thought she should've won BnF. I only recall her having one quiet game all year and that was because Crows dominated that game and it barely went back there. The rest, she was consistently good to bog.

Just playing devils advocate here with Biddell

There were a few games (ie. GWS, Port Adelaide) where there just wasn't any opportunity for her.

So rather than getting high votes in those games, she could've gotten low to average votes just for doing her job. As there was zero opportunity to do more?

Obviously she was our most important player this year (well, arguable with Randall). But the way the voting is done, I can see potential games like those 2 where the midfield dominated so highly, the defenders had no change to win any votes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back