Rumour CROWS-RELATED TRADE RUMOURS/PROPOSALS - ALL trade rumours & proposals go here! (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this stage that is still only a rumor until it actually happens. If that trade happens does that mean we won't be trading for Sam Jacobs?
Because if my memory is accurate Griffin said that he will stay if a trade can't be done.
think its gone past a rumour.

but you'd think no trade for Griffin = no trade for Jabobs

Behind Walker and Tippet who are your other tall Forwards guys?

I really have no idea, and have always been at a loss that Jimmy hasnt been played more up forward.

one thing we arent short of if is young tall potential KPP's. besides Walker & Tippett in no particular order there is Henderson, McKernan, Talia, Craig, Shaw, Gunston, Young, Otten, Davis, Moran and finally Sellar. Obviously most wont end ups as key forwards though.

Behind Walker and Tippet who are your other tall Forwards guys?

I really have no idea, and have always been at a loss that Jimmy hasnt been played more up forward.

We have Henderson who has emerged as a 3rd tall for us this year, we basically dont have any need for Sellar and I have huge doubts that Sellar will ever amount to anything anyway as he doesnt seem to have anywhere near the required mobility to be an AFL KPP.

one thing we arent short of if is young tall potential KPP's. besides Walker & Tippett in no particular order there is Henderson, McKernan, Talia, Craig, Shaw, Gunston, Young, Otten, Davis, Moran and finally Sellar. Obviously most wont end ups as key forwards though.
and out of those, the tall forwards can range from either: McKernan, Henderson, Gunston or Davis. plus, we always have X-Factor Stevens who can swing up forward. :thumbsu:

We have Henderson who has emerged as a 3rd tall for us this year, we basically dont have any need for Sellar and I have huge doubts that Sellar will ever amount to anything anyway as he doesnt seem to have anywhere near the required mobility to be an AFL KPP.
Ben Rutten Board! :rolleyes:

I have no doubt that given a chance, Sellar will develop into a very good FB. Good luck to the lad if the rumours are true and it will be a good move for him. There are just too many players ahead of him for a KP spot and he is to undersized for a ruckman.

I reckon Jimmy will have a pretty good career as a key defender for the Blues.

think its gone past a rumour.

but you'd think no trade for Griffin = no trade for Jabobs

Quite frankly, I couldn't care less if we let Griffin go through the PSD to West Coast. Similar to Maric, he's a #1 ruck or nothing, he doesn't have the versatility to play other roles like a 2nd ruck needs to these days, only Maric is a far more consistent, durable and quality player.

Anyway, I would have thought West Coast would have been more interested in Griff if he were to come cheap. IIRC they delisted Sullivan, which would leave them with no back up ruckman behind Cox and Naitanui.

Ben Rutten Board! :rolleyes:

I have no doubt that given a chance, Sellar will develop into a very good FB. Good luck to the lad if the rumours are true and it will be a good move for him. There are just too many players ahead of him for a KP spot and he is to undersized for a ruckman.

I reckon Jimmy will have a pretty good career as a key defender for the Blues.

Correct ...Exact same lines were trotted out early in Rutten's career that he was too slow and immobile for AFL

It's all a matter of opportunity and correct role .....Sellar is a straight line player who IMO could make a good FB

Other AFC posters have questioned his mobility as a forward - wouldn't he be just as bad as a defender?

there is a role for key defenders like sellar. Somebody has to play on the Barry Hall type forwards. It's just we already have Rutten in that role.

Other AFC posters have questioned his mobility as a forward - wouldn't he be just as bad as a defender?
The mentioned AFC posters would not have a clue. Ben Rutten's mobility, pace and agility is no better than James Sellar's yet he has been an excellent FB for us. If fact he has been the best FB in our short history. I would say that Sellar is probably more mobile and certainly quicker than Ben Rutten.

Sellar's mobility has nothing to do with his inability to play as a forward. He just isn't one. He is a straight line player and IMHO could potentially be a very good FB. The problem is, he was never allowed to settle in a key position. During the PS we have tried him as a key defender with good results.

With Glenelg he is played as a ruckman, with us he is played as a ruckman despite the club saying that we want to develop him as a KPP. Every time Sellar was given an opportunity as a KPP he has shown something (albeit he has been given that opportunity rarely).

Lets put it this way, if god forbid, Ben Rutten went down with a season ending injury, the first player I would bring in at FB would be Sellar. There might be some growing pains to start off with but I am confident that he can develop into a pretty good FB.

The mentioned AFC posters would not have a clue. Ben Rutten's mobility, pace and agility is no better than James Sellar's yet he has been an excellent FB for us. If fact he has been the best FB in our short history. I would say that Sellar is probably more mobile and certainly quicker than Ben Rutten.

Sellar's mobility has nothing to do with his inability to play as a forward. He just isn't one. He is a straight line player and IMHO could potentially be a very good FB. The problem is, he was never allowed to settle in a key position. During the PS we have tried him as a key defender with good results.

With Glenelg he is played as a ruckman, with us he is played as a ruckman despite the club saying that we want to develop him as a KPP. Every time Sellar was given an opportunity as a KPP he has shown something (albeit he has been given that opportunity rarely).

Lets put it this way, if god forbid, Ben Rutten went down with a season ending injury, the first player I would bring in at FB would be Sellar. There might be some growing pains to start off with but I am confident that he can develop into a pretty good FB.

Would love to have seen him given more opportunites in that FB role. Hated seeing him played as a ruckman as he was clearly out of position and not fair on Sellar. I think he is too good a player to play for Glenelg just waiting for Rutten to get injured. Particularly as Glenelg insist on playing him as a ruckman too, where he doesnt excel even at SANFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well put Stiffy. Sellar is a lot quicker than many give him credit for and I think its unfortunate for Sellar that even with Bock going to the GC, key defensive posts are so hard to come by in our side and key forward spots aren't much better. Could be a good move, heading over the Carlton to join his mate Bryce Gibbs at Carlton, where he might get better opportunities. I don't think Carlton would regret picking him up.

Sellar's straight line speed is good. He also is long and has a good leap. Ideal FB credentials, just needs time to learn how to play the position. I feel we've unfairly developed the big man.

CHF, Ruck, FF, CHB, Ruck, FB, Ruck

He's got his head in the right place now, his body is primed, just needs the development of FB IQ. Only comes with game time. Won't get FB game time at Adelaide with Truck playing 100% TOG for 22 games a year.

Well put Stiffy. Sellar is a lot quicker than many give him credit for and I think its unfortunate for Sellar that even with Bock going to the GC, key defensive posts are so hard to come by in our side and key forward spots aren't much better. Could be a good move, heading over the Carlton to join his mate Bryce Gibbs at Carlton, where he might get better opportunities. I don't think Carlton would regret picking him up.

Yeah but we will.:( The only time Rutten is exposed is on a quick lead, something Sellar would be much better at.

Please AFC offer them Stevens instead. Please.

Quite frankly, I couldn't care less if we let Griffin go through the PSD to West Coast. Similar to Maric, he's a #1 ruck or nothing, he doesn't have the versatility to play other roles like a 2nd ruck needs to these days, only Maric is a far more consistent, durable and quality player.

Anyway, I would have thought West Coast would have been more interested in Griff if he were to come cheap. IIRC they delisted Sullivan, which would leave them with no back up ruckman behind Cox and Naitanui.

Didn't Griff want to go home because of family reasons? I rember hearing that his grandfather passed away and his dad had a heart attack or something?

If that's the case, then surely we should just let him go regardless of compensation, it would be the right thing to do.

Sellar's straight line speed is good. He also is long and has a good leap. Ideal FB credentials, just needs time to learn how to play the position. I feel we've unfairly developed the big man.

He's got his head in the right place now, his body is primed, just needs the development of FB IQ. Only comes with game time. Won't get FB game time at Adelaide with Truck playing 100% TOG for 22 games a year.
And I suspect that this is the line club has offereded up to Sellar...just like they did last year with Douglas.

Luckily for us, Douglas decided to stay and not be traded but in fairness to Douglas he was borderline 22 and had great opportunity to get into the side if there are injuries to midfielders/HFFs.

With Sellar, its really a FB or a FF in a Tippett role. Those 2 guys just don't miss games. Especially Rutten who is on a long consecutive games played streak. If we didn't have Rutten, I have no doubt that Sellar would be lining up at FB for us.

He is good enough to play regular AFL footy as a FB (he will require development there though) and the only way he would crack our side is if there are injuries in ruck (last resort) or to Rutten.

Its only fair to Jimmy that he is given an opportunity somewhere else and I am confident he will become a good FB at AFL level.

Didn't Griff want to go home because of family reasons? I rember hearing that his grandfather passed away and his dad had a heart attack or something?

If that's the case, then surely we should just let him go regardless of compensation, it would be the right thing to do.

supposedly he has said if a trade cant be arranged home to Perth he will re-sign with adelaide. but presumably if West Coast promised to pick him up with their PSD pick that would be as good as a trade for him.

rumour is they arent keen though. there are other ruckman out there after all. if you are going to trade for one maybe you chase one you are interested in rather than one that is simply easy.

I don't think this has ever been too much of an issue. People were quick to assume that because he came to the club extremely unfit, that he was lazy, thought his talent would get him across the line and that he didn't work hard enough. When in actual fact the Illness he had in '06 pre draft (was it Glandular Fever?) may have set him back a lot further in his development than we all thought. He was actually working extremely hard, only coming from a lot further back than the rest of the group. He also had a pretty ungainly body to fill out and grow into, which made him look so awkward in his early years.

He's now filled out his body and is ready to go, that broken hand in the preseason and subsequent prolonged hamstring injury in round 2 really destroyed his season. Still managed to play some good games for Glenelg late in the season though which was good. I agree with Whitey in that if we do let him go, then we could end up regretting it. Although, when it comes to trading, you can't get something for nothing and we do need some more genuine AFL grade midfielders and Walker could certainly provide this.

And I suspect that this is the line club has offereded up to Sellar...just like they did last year with Douglas.

Luckily for us, Douglas decided to stay and not be traded but in fairness to Douglas he was borderline 22 and had great opportunity to get into the side if there are injuries to midfielders/HFFs.

With Sellar, its really a FB or a FF in a Tippett role. Those 2 guys just don't miss games. Especially Rutten who is on a long consecutive games played streak. If we didn't have Rutten, I have no doubt that Sellar would be lining up at FB for us.

He is good enough to play regular AFL footy as a FB (he will require development there though) and the only way he would crack our side is if there are injuries in ruck (last resort) or to Rutten.

Its only fair to Jimmy that he is given an opportunity somewhere else and I am confident he will become a good FB at AFL level.

Sellar's a pretty loyal bloke though, if he does go, you can assure it won't have been easy for him, especially having grown up a massive Crows fan.

Case in point is I believe that the Crows offered to move Sellar to another SANFL club when he was struggling at Glenelg, but he opted to stay with his Junior club in Glenelg, arguing he'd much prefer to play in a better side and earn his spot, rather than have a spot gifted to him by a lowly club. Despite the fact that Glenelg have probably never really played him in positions that were conducive to developing Sellar as an AFL player, which is their prerogative of course.

It would be disappointing to see Jimmy traded. I agree that FB is he best spot but I would also look for him at a CHB role. The thing with Jimmy is that he is actually pretty quick for his size, has got some mongrel, has great disposal and isn't a bad mark.

Rutten has the FB position, but isn't getting any younger and last season was shown wanting a fair bit due to his lack of speed. In the next season or two he will probably begin missing some games due to consistency of games to date and age. When this occurs we will probably look to Davis who at times seems even slower than Rutten. Likewise, as good as Rutten and Davis are, neither provide run through the defense to our midfield, they are just stoppers. Jimmy has shown a capacity as a defender and a real desire to provide run and link through the midfield. Talia is still an unknown and outside that we revert to Young who is a bit undersized and ??

I would love to see us play Hawthorn in the pre-season and through Jimmy at Franklin, yes he might be killed but he just might be able to go with him and some training in spoils and defense from Rutten would give us a damn good defender

But if he does go good luck to him as he should make it well at Carlton

He's now filled out his body and is ready to go, that broken hand in the preseason and subsequent prolonged hamstring injury in round 2 really destroyed his season. Still managed to play some good games for Glenelg late in the season though which was good. I agree with Whitey in that if we do let him go, then we could end up regretting it. Although, when it comes to trading, you can't get something for nothing and we do need some more genuine AFL grade midfielders and Walker could certainly provide this.

That woudn't be reasonable though James, because IMO we've made sure that Sellar won't overly succeed to date.

He plays for Glenelg as a ruckman/occasional forward and as an undersized ruckman with the Crows, none of which are the positions he could make a name for himself at AFL level.

He was given a limited chance at CHB in the pre-season and looked as good as he ever has - and that's why I agree with Stiffy that Sellar can be successful, whether it be at FB or CHB.

Just as he got better in ruck when given a run of opportunity, the same wold apply if given those opportunities in defence.

Carlton are very weak in the KPP's in defence, and IMO if he went to a club that would give him every chance to make a name for himself in the backlines, they would be well rewarded.

Would we regret it if Sellar went to Carlton and performed well??

We shouldn't because we as sure as hell want Walker or Jacobs to be a good player for us, as in turn Carlton want whatever they get to be worth it too.

That woudn't be reasonable though James, because IMO we've made sure that Sellar won't overly succeed to date.

He plays for Glenelg as a ruckman/occasional forward and as an undersized ruckman with the Crows, none of which are the positions he could make a name for himself at AFL level.

He was given a limited chance at CHB in the pre-season and looked as good as he ever has - and that's why I agree with Stiffy that Sellar can be successful, whether it be at FB or CHB.

Just as he got better in ruck when given a run of opportunity, the same wold apply if given those opportunities in defence.

Carlton are very weak in the KPP's in defence, and IMO if he went to a club that would give him every chance to make a name for himself in the backlines, they would be well rewarded.

Would we regret it if Sellar went to Carlton and performed well??

We shouldn't because we as sure as hell want Walker or Jacobs to be a good player for us, as in turn Carlton want whatever they get to be worth it too.
I am not sure we are much of a chance to get Jacobs but a reasonable chance to get Walker.

Carlton is probably a best team for Sellar to go to. They are in need of key defenders and that projects to be his best spot as an AFL footballer. He is also great mates with Gibbs and Austin (if Carlton keep him) and this would certainly help his settle in to a new city and club.

I think Jimmy needs an opportunity and certainly deserves it but there are just too many players ahead of him at the Crows so the best thing for both parties would be for Sellar to get to a club where he can establish himself.

Would we regret it down the track?! That will depend on how well we do out of the trade long term. If one of our many KPP develop into Rutten's replacement and whatever/whoever we get for Sellar turns out to be a useful player for us, then I think we will be happy with that.

A bit like Stenglein / Thompson trade. We traded Stenglein for a pick that we traded for Thompson so WC would be happy with what they got and we certainly are happy with what we got.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back