Cultural review of Australian cricket.

Remove this Banner Ad

PART OF MARK TAYLOR ,stuff News.com
greg dyer must now resign
The ACA called for them to be lifted immediately after the independent review found CA’s “win at all costs” mentality was partly responsible for the sandpaper scandal in the Cape Town Test.

Captain Steve Smith and his deputy David Warner were banished for a year — until March — while batsman Bancroft was sidelined for nine months.

Taylor said the ACA’s demands had further strained relations between players and the governing body as they tried to rebuild from bitter pay negotiations.

“I’ve worked tirelessly over the past 12 months to try and get a better relationship with the cricketers and the board of Cricket Australia,” Taylor said.

“I was disappointed ... only 22 hours after the release of the findings ... the ACA wanted the bans reduced.

“I don’t even think they actually asked the players if they wanted that done so the three players have now got to follow in behind them (ACA).

“That puts the Cricketers Association and Cricket Australia at odds straight away.

“Once again, in the words of (review boss Simon) Longstaff, that’s win at all costs.

“The cost will be the three players in the middle, and their culture and their mental health.”

I've not but what the AB's do is amazing.

Worth a read mate, I reckon you’d love it, but a good read for anyone interest in sport and workplace culture. Richie McCaw is an absolute champion in every respect.

I found it amazing to contrast how the ABs finally tackled their mental frailty, compared to how the Crows tried to do it this year.

Worth a read mate, I reckon you’d love it, but a good read for anyone interest in sport and workplace culture. Richie McCaw is an absolute champion in every respect.

I found it amazing to contrast how the ABs finally tackled their mental frailty, compared to how the Crows tried to do it this year.
Have just purchased so if it's s**t you owe me a score.

Restore the Shield to the centerpiece of Australian cricket development.

The Shield has been killed and the standard diluted due to money and greed.

Greed of the administrators who priorities the BBL and greed of the players to play T20 all over the world.

Top players don't play county cricket or shield cricket anymore - and CA wonders why we are were we are.

And also dump this pathway system for juniors. No one is to be fast tracked. People progress when they deserve it and are ready. Get a plan together to get standards (and perhaps participation) back into grade and district cricket.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

They gave up on the shield comp pretty much soo. After the Argus report. The way have treated the last few years has disgraceful. Taking players out of games that are progress for rest essentially compromises the comp. then changing the brand of the ball half way through a season because they thought it would help their batting woes in England. Our batting has gotten worse. Constant night matches that didn’t help anyone.

They were basing their position on how someone who follows alot of cricket would react - ie: understand ball tampering is as old as the game. They didn't account for the non-watching cricket public who were apparently massively offended.

The majority of the outrage came from
1) the media
2) CA

Even the South Africas weren't that offended and thought the punishments were too harsh.
I've been watching the game since 1970 and I was disgusted with what happened. I had no problem with the punishments.

I'm not the slightest bit interested in the "ball tampering is as old as the game" argument. In fact, I think relying on that as some sort of defence or justification is as weak as piss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They gave up on the shield comp pretty much soo. After the Argus report. The way have treated the last few years has disgraceful. Taking players out of games that are progress for rest essentially compromises the comp. then changing the brand of the ball half way through a season because they thought it would help their batting woes in England. Our batting has gotten worse. Constant night matches that didn’t help anyone.

The Dukes trial is one of the best things they've done, actually proactive for a change. In no way does it affect the integrity of the comp and in a strategic sense with the Kookaburra's lack of swing being talked about on a global scale as a major factor in the bat v ball imbalance it would be stupid not to be involved in investigating a solution.

And the night match trials are essential. Cricket needs to be looking at these sort of innovations to improve the accessibility of the game.

But yes other than that I agree.

Last edited:
The Dukes trial is one of the best things they've done, actually proactive for a change. In no way does it affect the integrity of the comp and in a strategic sense with the Kookaburra's lack of swing being talked about on a global scale as a major factor in the bat v ball imbalance it would be stupid not to be involved in investigating a solution.

And the night match trials are essential. Cricket needs to be looking at these sort of innovations to improve the accessibility of the game.

But yes other than that I agree.
Why has it been a good innovation?

If they want fans they want fans to have more access to the game. Why did they play most games during the work week

Restore the Shield to the centerpiece of Australian cricket development.

The Shield has been killed and the standard diluted due to money and greed.

Greed of the administrators who priorities the BBL and greed of the players to play T20 all over the world.

Top players don't play county cricket or shield cricket anymore - and CA wonders why we are were we are.
Happens all down the line too.

International players don't play Shield cricket anymore. Dilutes the standard of the Shield competition.

Shield players don't play Grade cricket anymore. Dilutes the standard of the Grade competition. Even the better Grade players are off playing Futures League so miss out on playing grade cricket at times.

Talented young country players travel to the city to play Grade Cricket. Leave the country leagues short on talent as well as their parents who were often the key coaches/organisers of cricket in their area.

Talented junior players get promoted up an age group or into seniors (which is good) but that dilutes the standard of the junior competition they leave behind.

Each level of cricket pulls players up without considering the impact on the level below.

The structure and timing of all competitions needs an overhaul IMO. Need to be able to promote the talented players and allow them to experience playing at a higher level during a season but they also need to spend some time with their peers where they can dominate, raise the standard, lead.

Wow a well structured response.

Which part do you think is bollocks?

You think all AFL fans are supporters of Australia in the cricket or

You don’t believe that AFL fans that don’t support Australia took the opportunity to pay out on them?
There is a perception among many - and which I read into your post - that the only reason the suspensions are so long is that non-cricket fans jumped on some kind of outrage bandwagon and CA over-reacted. True cricket fans know that everyone engages in ball tampering, the penalties aren't huge, yet here we are suspending them for a year? Crazy!

And I think that's bollocks. Non-cricket fans couldn't care less, in my experience. And supporters of other countries enjoyed the schadenfreude but nothing more. If anything, they were as shocked by the penalties as anyone.

You know, pardon me (and just about every cricket writer and every former Australian captain) for thinking the Australian captain and vice-captain should be held to a high standard.

There is a perception among many - and which I read into your post - that the only reason the suspensions are so long is that non-cricket fans jumped on some kind of outrage bandwagon and CA over-reacted. True cricket fans know that everyone engages in ball tampering, the penalties aren't huge, yet here we are suspending them for a year? Crazy!

And I think that's bollocks. Non-cricket fans couldn't care less, in my experience. And supporters of other countries enjoyed the schadenfreude but nothing more. If anything, they were as shocked by the penalties as anyone.

You know, pardon me (and just about every cricket writer and every former Australian captain) for thinking the Australian captain and vice-captain should be held to a high standard.
In hindsight it's a shame they weren't allowed to play Shield cricket. Would have been a major positive for the competition and they would have still had the year ban alongside their name.

I'm not the slightest bit interested in the "ball tampering is as old as the game" argument. In fact, I think relying on that as some sort of defence or justification is as weak as piss.

I haven't seen any comments on how unhappy you are with Faf Du Plessis? hes been done twice in the past couple of years.

Its not a perception it is fact - after all Sri Lanka got done for ball tampering not 3 months ago for minimal penalties.

In hindsight it's a shame they weren't allowed to play Shield cricket. Would have been a major positive for the competition and they would have still had the year ban alongside their name.
I think they're lucky to be playing any cricket. Grade cricket possibly only so they can re-learn some humility but they shouldn't have been anywhere near the T20 leagues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back