News Cyril and Shannyn Rioli speak to Caro - link to club statement in page 8

Remove this Banner Ad

While I think the comment made was racist, a problem we all face is that something can be very objectively racist (the comment made by the player) and there are also times when racism can be exceptionally subjective (the comment made by Jeff).

The objective things are easier to pinpoint. Navigating the subjective the things can be more complex.
I received an unsolicited call from a person by the name of Stefan. His accent and the click on the phone indicated he was from an Indian call centre. I said my name was Virat Koli. He hung up.

Surely if they can make up names, so can I

For those that keep saying what Jeff said was a Dad joke and not racist just don't get it. It's about the tone and the setting and how what you says makes someone feel and who you'd say it to.

I have an indigenous daughter and she's always been my cheeky little monkey even as she grows up. The is a link between the term monkey and racism but at not point has she ever deemed it racist (she's 20 now) as the name came about because of her hyperactive and gymnastic lifestyle as a toddler/young kid, along with her gorgeous smile.

The flipside of this, would Jeff have said the same thing to Lyndall if she was wearing designer ripped jeans? We all know the answer to this is no. Would he have offered to give her cash for new jeans/clothes? No. This isn't racist because it was a Dad joke, it was racist because of the audience that Jeff would have made the joke (if you could ever call it that, I don't find it funny) to.

For those that keep saying what Jeff said was a Dad joke and not racist just don't get it. It's about the tone and the setting and how what you says makes someone feel and who you'd say it to.

I have an indigenous daughter and she's always been my cheeky little monkey even as she grows up. The is a link between the term monkey and racism but at not point has she ever deemed it racist (she's 20 now) as the name came about because of her hyperactive and gymnastic lifestyle as a toddler/young kid, along with her gorgeous smile.

The flipside of this, would Jeff have said the same thing to Lyndall if she was wearing designer ripped jeans? We all know the answer to this is no. Would he have offered to give her cash for new jeans/clothes? No. This isn't racist because it was a Dad joke, it was racist because of the audience that Jeff would have made the joke (if you could ever call it that, I don't find it funny) to.
Baseless assumptions.

is there any clues as to who the player in Bali make the comments to Rioli were? I am having second guesses and thought maybe in a Hawks forum- id get a clearer picture
No.

Give it a rest.

is there any clues as to who the player in Bali make the comments to Rioli were? I am having second guesses and thought maybe in a Hawks forum- id get a clearer picture
pic GIF

If the contest here is between Kennett being racist or just a general offensive a-hole then can I suggest either way it's not a glowing assessment for someone in a role of authority in today's world.
They are not the only possible perspectives on Kennett’s ripped jeans comment.

for instance, when Kennett first joined the hawks as chair he demanded a dress code at board meetings, this ended up in Dermie effectively being removed. Could it be that if Shannyn were travelling as a representative of the hawks (at their expense) then maybe she should be held to a dress code too? Point is, we don’t always have to immediately jump to the conclusion that Kennett is simply a campaigner, however likely that conclusion may be.

They are not the only possible perspectives on Kennett’s ripped jeans comment.

for instance, when Kennett first joined the hawks as chair he demanded a dress code at board meetings, this ended up in Dermie effectively being removed. Could it be that if Shannyn were travelling as a representative of the hawks (at their expense) then maybe she should be held to a dress code too? Point is, we don’t always have to immediately jump to the conclusion that Kennett is simply a campaigner, however likely that conclusion may be.
Even if there was a dress code (which seems doubtful) that wasn’t the way to raise the issue. It was a s**t thing to say in all scenarios given the contexts in play.

If you feel like doing some investigative work then why don't you take your a$$ back to GWS headquarters where the AFL has been letting you guys get away with shonky 'ambassadorial deals' for the last decade. With Gil now departing at the end of the season I wouldn't be surprised if a couple skeletons are dug up by the new CEO.

Last edited:
I’m not defending the comment by any means because yes it was racist. I do however believe that if you’ve let a racist comment slip (we all know what it was) it doesn’t instantly make you a racist. The problem I feel is we live in a country where there’s still a lot of systematic racism going on even today. People need to be willing to change their thoughts, mentality and ways on this

If you feel like doing some investigative work then why don't you take your a$$ back to GWS headquarters where the AFL has been letting you guys get away with shonky 'ambassadorial deals' for the last decade. With Gil now departing at the end of the season I wouldn't be surprised if a couple skeletons are dug up by the new CEO.
I don't think he is a supporter. I suspect he is a journalist trying to get a scoop

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not defending the comment by any means because yes it was racist. I do however believe that if you’ve let a racist comment slip (we all know what it was) it doesn’t instantly make you a racist. The problem I feel is we live in a country where there’s still a lot of systematic racism going on even today. People need to be willing to change their thoughts, mentality and ways on this

I
But what if you also have made other such comments and have a golliwog collection? 🤔

I do agree that we want to give people an opportunity to change their ways and thinking but we must also hold people in leadership positions to a higher standard. It is their job, after all.

For a start the "comments" weren't made to Rioli. Rioli only learned about it later.

For a start the "comments" weren't made to Rioli. Rioli only learned about it later.
To be honest the best response from a former Hawk player, was on Sunday when Burgoyne spoke. He is now working as a commentator with the footy outlets and not being a Hawks forum poster on here or having anything interested in Hawks football , this topic got my interest.

Burgoyne speaks quite well and I did get the general gist that the comments were directed to Rioli's partner in the first instinct.

It seems to me anyway, that it was dealt with internally and from what I am hearing, Rioli should accept Michael Long's advice and look to just move on. You cant hold grudges or bad feeling forever. Even as a neutral the way Rioli stopped his playing career did seem really odd at the time but I think we are only getting to the bottom of it and more will be revealed in the next few months or so.

Burgoyne speaks quite well and I did get the general gist that the comments were directed to Rioli's partner in the first instinct.
They weren’t.

To be honest the best response from a former Hawk player, was on Sunday when Burgoyne spoke. He is now working as a commentator with the footy outlets and not being a Hawks forum poster on here or having anything interested in Hawks football , this topic got my interest.

It seems to me anyway, that it was dealt with internally and from what I am hearing, Rioli should accept Michael Long's advice and look to just move on. You cant hold grudges or bad feeling forever. Even as a neutral the way Rioli stopped his playing career did seem really odd at the time but I think we are only getting to the bottom of it and more will be revealed in the next few months or so.
Quite frankly, speaking only for myself, but I'm not interested in your opinion on this topic. You are welcome to show your interest in this topic on your own board of course but the last thing this thread needs is non-hawthorn supporters adding their uninformed 2 cents.

Long hasn’t spoken to Rioli in four years. Roughly the same amount of time rioli has been retired. Not sure he really understands Cyril’s point of view so can’t see how he is in a position to give such advice.

Quite frankly, speaking only for myself, but I'm not interested in your opinion on this topic. You are welcome to show your interest in this topic on your own board of course but the last thing this thread needs is non-hawthorn supporters adding their uninformed 2 cents.

Long hasn’t spoken to Rioli in four years. Roughly the same amount of time rioli has been retired. Not sure he really understands Cyril’s point of view so can’t see how he is in a position to give such advice.
Me either and they didn't seem to take the hint that their speculation wasn't welcome so I've removed their access

To what you've observed above I would only add.....

Caro hadn't spoken to Cyril in the intervening 4 years since Cyril broke up with the HFC excepting a few months ago for this article, hadn't spoken to him before that about any of these occurances being tabled, has no historical understanding of Cyril on a personal level, doesn't know Shannyn from a a bar of soap, had nothing to do with the Hawthorn Football Club on the inside at any point, did not speak to any of the other parties involved before running with Cyril's story.....and yet, has been confident enough to pass judgement and make allegations about the Club across multiple media organizations and publications and pushed not just Cyril's narrative but her own on the situation.

And she gets credit for it on here by multiple posters.
Feels like there's a pot and kettle here somewhere.

Longy is not just Cyrils Uncle, he's Cyril's mum's brother.
If ANYONE is likely to be well across EVERY part of the story, it's Michael Long.
AAAAAAAAND, he was PERSONALLY involved in mediating the fallout to Cyril being offended by JK's comment to Shannyn.

Preposterous to call him out for airing his understanding of the matter.
RE ******* DICULOUS.

Last edited:

Caro hadn't spoken to Cyril in the intervening 4 years since Cyril broke up with the HFC excepting a few months ago for this article, hadn't spoken to him before that about any of these occurances being tabled, has no historical understanding of Cyril on a personal level, doesn't know Shannyn from a a bar of soap, had nothing to do with the Hawthorn Football Club on the inside at any point, did not speak to any of the other parties involved before running with Cyril's story.....and yet, has been confident enough to pass judgement and make allegations about the Club across multiple media organizations and publications and pushed not just Cyril's narrative but her own on the situation.

If ANYONE is likely to be well across EVERY part of the story, it's Michael Long.
AAAAAAAAND, he was PERSONALLY involved in mediating the fallout to Cyril being offended by JK's comment to Shannyn.

RE ******* DICULOUS.
It isn't about Caro though...

I will call him out on claiming to know the mind of Cyril when it is clear he doesn't understand Cyril's position and pretty much blames Shannyn for the whole situation, on my reading. It isn't for Long to decide what Cyril needs to move on from and the terms in which he moves on. It is time to listen and understand Cyril and Shannyn's point of view. Long has done absolutely nothing to help this situation.

RE ******* DICULOUS.
Long's view seems to be Jeff is a good bloke, get over it, back the club not your wife
And Cyril hasn't talked to him since, curious

It certainly looks like Caro and FC want to make this a saga.

And even journalists triggering each other. No surprise the journalists are further apart than the hawthorn people

At least she’s emphasising that it’s cultural issues and she ‘never sad it was racism’ but was happy that racism got clicks to the story

Hmmm, do we think Cyril's own family would dismiss the idea that Cyril is so hurt by systematic racism so flippantly? Long himself has been a victim of racial abuse, and told of how it 'cut his soul deeply', so to think he would not be really strong in supporting family in this situation in the first instance is strange logic from my perspective. The fact Long has spoken so directly about it, deserves more than a little bit of perspective, and I'm listening and realising this is much more complicated than Wilson's article lead us to believe. The fact that Cyril has turned away from his own family and club is worth considering, and the fact is that Long feels that the way they reflected on his time at Hawthorn don't do justice to the whole story is worthy of consideration given how closely involved he was in the whole process.

I feel if Long is not qualified to speak about this, given his family relationship, his involvement in the Wright discussions, then I don't know who else is. His words were not given without very careful consideration, and seemed to be speaking on behalf of Rioli's family. The idea he would say something like that without having a really strong reason to do so, is very confusing logic to me. It appears to me that people who went really hard at attacking the club after Wilson's article are having a harder time listening to the words of Long, than those who wanted to wait and hear more information from those involved, and the full story first.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back