Bert Man

Premiership Player
Jul 22, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
PSG, ARSENAL
Who is the better small forward?

Eddie Betts for mine, consistently hits the scoreboard more than Cyril and creates just as many goals. Cyril is better up the ground though, so probably go with him off a HFF, but as a small forward playing deep, it's Betts every time for me. Consistently underrated throughout his career on BigFooty and I suspect it will unfold as such again in this poll.

Betts is better as a genuine small forward, he kicks more goals and plays that position very well, but Rioli is the much better tackler and creative player, plus Rioli is more a Half Forward Flank then a genuine small forward. A more reasonable poll would have been Eddie Betts vs Mark LeCras, Steven Milne aside, Betts and LeCras are the two best small forwards in the comp behind Milne IMO.

Betts is better as a genuine small forward, he kicks more goals and plays that position very well, but Rioli is the much better tackler and creative player, plus Rioli is more a Half Forward Flank then a genuine small forward. A more reasonable poll would have been Eddie Betts vs Mark LeCras, Steven Milne aside, Betts and LeCras are the two best small forwards in the comp behind Milne IMO.
If Rioli is a better tackler... the word "much" either implies that Cyril is the best tackler of all time or that Betts is only an average tackler... because one of Betts massive strength is his tackling.

If Rioli is a better tackler... the word "much" either implies that Cyril is the best tackler of all time or that Betts is only an average tackler... because one of Betts massive strength is his tackling.

Cyril Rioli is a better tackler then Eddie Betts, that's just a fact. I never said Betts can't tackle or he wasn't good at his ''defensive pressure'' because he is good at that. But compare them both, Rioli is better in department.

Tackle average in 2012

Rioli: 5.3
Betts: 2.8

Biased hawthorn supporter here but......
I would argue that we have never seen Cyril play as close to goals and out of the square as much as Eddie.
Carlton KPF stocks are weak so we often see Eddie playing as one of there main target out of the square, when ever Cyril has done this when one of our KPF have gone down he has kicked 5 or more goals.
This is all hypothetical though...
Its hard to argue with Eddie being better close to goals until we see Cyril match him in that area though..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

would be interesting who people would chose now. Betts came #19 and Rioli came in #18 in the players top 50. I personally rate Betts higher.

Back