Oppo Camp Dangerfield's Gone (Zero tolerance to trolling) - READ THREAD LINKED IN OP BEFORE POSTING

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing fact reported in the media? Try telling that to the Muppets on your board when Media reporter Danger was gone in about Round 2.
Sorry, I meant to say nothing can be certain of being fact if it's reported in the media. Dangerfield has been rumoured to have 'agreed to terms' as early as last October.

I must admit to being a little intrigued with this scenario. As has been pointed out before, a first round pick appears from the ether if we decide not to match... I know this is all pie in the sky stuff and unlikely to happen - and it would absolutely need to be cleared by the AFL before heading down this path - but consider the following:

Adelaide don't match and receive pick 14 as compensation. We do this knowing a further deal with Geelong will be struck.

Geelong then offer us pick 9 and a very promising youngster (Cockatoo or Gregson - whoever it is, they must be considered a first round equivalent talent).

In return, we give Geelong pick 14 and David Mackay (on the condition they pay a good proportion of his salary).

Geelong end up with Danger and an experienced player in MacKay who Adelaide only recently signed to a long term contract - so we are a little sad to let him go. All this for a promising youngster and a downgraded first round pick.

Adelaide end up with pick 9 and a promising youngster (1st round equivalent) - for one of the best players in the comp and the loss of an experienced player who we were keen to stay at the club for a long time... But it does open up some salary cap space and an opportunity for a youngster to step up, so we will probably cope.

I think this might wash... And it seems like a win-win... Doesn't it? It won't happen and I think I'm kidding... But still... Maybe?

I'll pay David MacKays salary if he goes.....

Sorry, I meant to say nothing can be certain of being fact if it's reported in the media. Dangerfield has been rumoured to have 'agreed to terms' as early as last October.

Im still confused on Dangers take on this, if the decision had been made whenever it was. Do you think the first question he would have asked Geelong is the barriers that could stop him getting to Geelong, and what guarantee Geelong would give him to make sure he gets there? We all know about the matching offer and PD knew what wage he was being offered, is Dangerfield that friggen dumb to realise that the AFC could match and it would come to a trade. Surely he knows the extent to what Geelong will trade and being so close to Roo in particular with the fact he is partnership with him at the pub, this information would have made its way to the AFC. So efefctively PD probably did the negotiating for Adelaide which is why he may be so confident saying Adelaide would be compensated fairly.

Im still confused on Dangers take on this, if the decision had been made whenever it was. Do you think the first question he would have asked Geelong is the barriers that could stop him getting to Geelong, and what guarantee Geelong would give him to make sure he gets there? We all know about the matching offer and PD knew what wage he was being offered, is Dangerfield that friggen dumb to realise that the AFC could match and it would come to a trade. Surely he knows the extent to what Geelong will trade and being so close to Roo in particular with the fact he is partnership with him at the pub, this information would have made its way to the AFC. So efefctively PD probably did the negotiating for Adelaide which is why he may be so confident saying Adelaide would be compensated fairly.
Don't think so marty.

If you look at who is involved in this trasaction ... two big businesses with loads of experience - the people making the decisions are well removed from the emotion of it all.

They are aware of the emotion these things can generate - but they are working on a long term plan to improve their business. Each one has it's own agenda - and the other has an idea of what that agenda is.

The player is just a commodity. No way PD is involved in the mechanics of the deal - except for ticking the boxes when the deal is done.

OK - trying to make a perfect deal. Let's see how it goes.

Adelaide want 2 first round picks and a first choice player.
Geelong want Dangerfield, Henderson & Zac Smith.
Gold Coast want.....who the **** knows but I'll have a go.
Port Adelaide want Dixon

Adelaide get: Pick 9 (from Geelong), pick 10 from Port Adelaide, Bennell & Gold Coast second pick ~22
Adelaide lose: Dangerfield, CEY & second round pick ~32

Geelong get: Dangerfield, Smith & Henderson
Geelong lose: Kolenjasnic, 2015 Pick 9, 2016 first & 2015 second round pick

Gold Coast get: Kolenjasnic, Geelong first round pick from 2016 & Adelaide second round pick ~32
Gold Coast lose: Bennell (Adelaide) Smith (Geelong) Dixon

Carlton get: CEY & a second round pick in 2015 from Geelong
Carlton lose: Henderson

Port Adelaide get: Dixon
Port Adelaide lose: pick 10

Last edited:
OK - trying to make a perfect deal. Let's see how it goes.

Adelaide want 2 first round picks and a first choice player.
Geelong want Dangerfield, Henderson & Zac Smith.
Gold Coast want.....who the **** knows but I'll have a go.
Port Adelaide want Dixon

Adelaide get: Pick 9 (from Geelong), pick 10 from Port Adelaide, Bennell & Gold Coast second pick ~22 & Geelong 2016 second round pick.
Adelaide lose: Dangerfield, CEY & second round pick ~32

Geelong get: Dangerfield, Smith & Henderson
Geelong lose: Kolenjasnic, 2015 Pick 9, 2016 first & second round pick

Gold Coast get: Kolenjasnic, Geelong first round pick from 2016 & Adelaide second round pick ~32
Gold Coast lose: Bennell (Adelaide) Smith (Geelong) Dixon

Carlton get: CEY
Carlton lose: Henderson

Port Adelaide get: Dixon
Port Adelaide lose: pick 10

Carlton aren't trading Henderson for CEY.

Also, if you trade a future first round pick you can't trade any other future picks from the same year

Carlton aren't trading Henderson for CEY.

Also, if you trade a future first round pick you can't trade any other future picks from the same year

Then Geelong send this years second round pick to Carlton to even it up and remove the 2016 second round pick from the table.

So Dangerfield has threatened he will only sign a 1 year deal if he goes to another club in the pre-season draft. We still saying thanks and all the best for the future?

Scum.
Wouldn't happen. To be able to sign for one year he'd need to go into the draft without nominating a salary, he'd essentially agree to that year being at draftee wage. Even then he'd be in a worse position in a year as he'd still need a trade to get to Geelong, and wouldn't have the option of signing for two more to become UFA.

If he does want to nominate a salary, it is a 2-year minimum.

If he goes in the draft someone else picks him up and then trades him to Geelong next year (assuming they want to pay fair value by then).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My views change when the facts change. I certainly, initially felt that Geelong could and should make it as undesirable for the AFC to match as possible. But it appears as though Geelong will meekly roll over and more than what they should, gjven their list management situation. Having said that though, othing is actually fact when it's reported in the media, so wbo know whether Geelong are still creatively working on a contract which Adelaide simply can't match, whether Geelong and PD and Connors are devising a devious plan to circumvent handing over draft picks if and when Adelaide match, or whether both clubs have effectively skipped FA altogether and are currently in ttade negotiations. It's still too hard to be certain of anything at this stage.

I will be clear about something though: Geelong 'cleared the decks' so to speak with players and therefore currently have numerous list spots they need to fill. Without having their currently allotted amount of draft picks, I have no idea how thry plan to fill them. If they've done so without ensuring that they will retain the draft picks currently in their possession thrn they've stuffed up MONUMENTALLY. As it happens to stand, I give Geelong's administration more credit than that. So it'll be interesting to see how everything unfolds.
crows may be required to hand over a later pick or if you are trading next years 1st that doesn't effect you this year anyway in terms of list numbers so nothing to see

an eg may be crows get 2 first rounders , cats get danger and a 3rd or 4th rounder / or mackay :)

Yeah they can do that in the PSD but I'm pretty sure they can't in the normal draft. The article was saying, if gets to that point, Dangerfield is going to stipulate a one year contract in the normal draft so teams won't want to take him before pick 9 and burn a good pick. Aside from the point that they could then get double the pick they "burned" the next year in trade, I don't think he can stipulate a contract length (or any conditions) in the main draft. To my knowledge they're two years standard and that can't be changed.

Vader?
Existing AFL players have the same rights when nominating for both the ND and PSD. They can specify their payments, over a minimum of 2 years(no maximum). Any club which drafts them is contractually bound to those terms.

I must admit to being a little intrigued with this scenario. As has been pointed out before, a first round pick appears from the ether if we decide not to match... I know this is all pie in the sky stuff and unlikely to happen - and it would absolutely need to be cleared by the AFL before heading down this path - but consider the following:

Adelaide don't match and receive pick 14 as compensation. We do this knowing a further deal with Geelong will be struck.

Geelong then offer us pick 9 and a very promising youngster (Cockatoo or Gregson - whoever it is, they must be considered a first round equivalent talent).

In return, we give Geelong pick 14 and David Mackay (on the condition they pay a good proportion of his salary).

Geelong end up with Danger and an experienced player in MacKay who Adelaide only recently signed to a long term contract - so we are a little sad to let him go. All this for a promising youngster and a downgraded first round pick.

Adelaide end up with pick 9 and a promising youngster (1st round equivalent) - for one of the best players in the comp and the loss of an experienced player who we were keen to stay at the club for a long time... But it does open up some salary cap space and an opportunity for a youngster to step up, so we will probably cope.

I think this might wash... And it seems like a win-win... Doesn't it? It won't happen and I think I'm kidding... But still... Maybe?
what needs to be remembered is if we get compo then danger =compo in this scenario and this can't be considered in the side trade

ie so the deal above is Adelaide ins- pick 9 / + cockatoo or Gregson
outs pick 14/ mackay

that will never wash with AFL- why would geelong swap an earlier draft pick for a later one then also give us a highly rated 10 yr young gun for a lucky to be fringe Mackay

can't see a side deal happening especially with our tippet history

like the deal though!!!!!!!

Existing AFL players have the same rights when nominating for both the ND and PSD. They can specify their payments, over a minimum of 2 years(no maximum). Any club which drafts them is contractually bound to those terms.

FFS Vader this thread is no place for actual facts! Please stick to hearsay, wild conjecture and dubious logical inferences.

I'd like to think that Geelong could get Danger without giving up anything. I'd like to think that the AFL will give the same compensation as Geelong received for Ablett. In that case, the AFC won't match. I've posted what I think *could* happen as a best case scenario for Geelong, so I won't go 'round in circles doing that again. What I will say though, is that no matter the outcome, and it WON'T be two first rounders PLUS a 'quality' player, Geelong get Dangerfield and Adelaide lose Dangerfield. We'll always win, it will just come down to the degrees of the win or loss, depending on which side of the fence you view the situation from.

Very subjective - just look at the Judd trade. What ever happens, this trade will be interesting to re-visit in 10 years time.

Speaking of which. A 3 way deal for Kennedy would STILL be a good option :) :)

How Carlton can still think they won with Judd I will never know.
Both Kennedy and Masten have been huge for the Eagles. I am looking at this whole trade very optimistically and I have no doubt Geelong and Adelaide will negotiate in a professional manner, as they did with the pick swap last season that benefited both clubs.

Both Kennedy and Masten have been huge for the Eagles. I am looking at this whole trade very optimistically and I have no doubt Geelong and Adelaide will negotiate in a professional manner, as they did with the pick swap last season that benefited both clubs.

Both have realistically had at least 6 months to prepare for this trade. No excuse for either getting it wrong. Should be a win / win for sure, at least on the surface of it .... nobody knows for sure what the future will bring.

So Dangerfield has threatened he will only sign a 1 year deal if he goes to another club in the pre-season draft. We still saying thanks and all the best for the future?

Scum.
But ... he didn't.

It was media dribble.

PD hasn't even said "I want to go to Geelong" yet - he has been so careful with his words. He knows he needs to keep his nose out of it until he is standing in a Geelong jumper in front of the press - and even then he will choose his words.

There is no way he has come out in any public forum and said "I'll go to another club through the PSD and wait a year".

So maybe save the scum stuff for someone else.

Scum.
No, MEDIA are saying that's what he'll do. You know not to believe everything that is written, right?

But ... he didn't.

It was media dribble.

PD hasn't even said "I want to go to Geelong" yet - he has been so careful with his words. He knows he needs to keep his nose out of it until he is standing in a Geelong jumper in front of the press - and even then he will choose his words.

There is no way he has come out in any public forum and said "I'll go to another club through the PSD and wait a year".

So maybe save the scum stuff for someone else.

He absolutely did say on 5AA that it was always either Geelong or the Crows, there was no other option which is as good as saying "I want to go to Geelong". This was in reference to another Vic club offering him 10mil/6 years.

Either way, between Gil inferring he knew where Danger would be playing and Danger telling the Crows a month ago.. this deal will be done amicably and no doubt both clubs will think they gave away too much/got ripped off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back