Roast Daniel Giansiracusa as an assistant coach

Remove this Banner Ad

May 30, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, Boston Celtics
I'm sure most will agree that last year, when Gia was part of organizing our forward line, that part of the ground looked awful for us for the most part.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2016-10-13/dogs-finalise-2017-coaching-structure

2016 Senior VFL Premiership Coach Ashley Hansen will occupy the role of Assistant Coach – Forwards, while Daniel Giansiracusa will now lead the Stoppages and Set Plays portfolio.

Now, considering how average we've been in the contest and clearances this year, does this continue to be a coincidence that every line this guy takes becomes a weak point for us?

The best contested possession differential side in the comp last year just lost the contested ball pretty badly to AFL hall of famers like Ben Cunnington and Jack Ziebell.

Sure, we don't have a great ruck contingent and there is no longer 3rd man up, but teams are waltzing away from the center bounce at the moment. 3rd man up doesn't even apply there.

How does a very similar crew of guys look completely listless in the center when they were absolute brutes last year?

As far as Gia goes as a coach, in my opinion, we should punt him to the sun.

Discuss.

And how come the forwards haven't improved under Hansen?

Well they're actually kicking higher scores this year with a very similar inside 50 average. Small sample of course.

North actually smashed us with their efficiency going inside 50 aswell.

Last edited:
I have been thinking about this same topic, especially today when Ziebell was running out of the centre with no dogs players on the defensive side of the pack.
Repeatedly. Center clearance work and stoppages have been a shadow of last year.

I don't blame Gia 100% for the dogs problems in the middle, some has to fall on Bev. For awhile there Cunnington seemed have free range by himself without any adjustments being made. However, this is the second year in a row an area Gia has been in charge of has been a problem. Maybe we need accept the fact that maybe Gia isn't a good coach.

I don't blame Gia 100% for the dogs problems in the middle, some has to fall on Bev. For awhile there Cunnington seemed have free range by himself without any adjustments being made. However, this is the second year in a row an area Gia has been in charge of has been a problem. Maybe we need accept the fact that maybe Gia isn't a good coach.

There are others factors in play

1. No Roughead. Campbell does seem affected by thec ankle IMO.
2. No Mitch
3. Bont had a delayed pre season. Hasn't been in the middle as much
4. Libba has been down- I suspect because we are losing the taps.
5. we have lost a lot intensity all over the field. I suspect it will be hard for us to catch up re fitness.

Yeah let's not blame the players at all
Coz they are all going so well even though we are the worst clearance team in the league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are others factors in play

2. No Mitch
5. we have lost a lot intensity all over the field. I suspect it will be hard for us to catch up re fitness.

I agree. I'm not just pinning it on one guy, but the weakness in our team seems to follow wherever this guy appears to coach.

True, but roughy was never an immensely strong hitout ruckman.
2. No Mitch
Yup, hope hes back soon.
That I have noticed aswell, but even with Bont in there we got very soundly beaten by guys waltzing out of there on numerous occasions. These aren't quick players either.
Libba is averaging 20 touches with 14 contested. His touches are a bit down. He's the best tackle player in the league at the moment though. So the effort is there, he's just getting the ball a hell of a lot less.
This will even out as the season progresses, but we are still more talented than a lot of teams in this league and not playing like it.

If you were going to pick our weakest point before the season after 4 games, you would not have selected the centre bounce and clearances. Yet here we are.

Yeah let's not blame the players at all
Coz they are all going so well even though we are the worst clearance team in the league.
The players aren't absolved of blame. It is an odd occurrence that with the same crew of players last year it was one of our elite strengths and with a coaching change it has become our achilles heal.

The players aren't absolved of blame. It is an odd occurrence that with the same crew of players last year it was one of our elite strengths and with a coaching change it has become our achilles heal.

It's not the same crew at all

Hunter and Dahl are spending far less time in and Stringer and Jong far more time.

It's a completely different mix to last year. Structures and plays have changed also.

Admittedly Roughy is a big loss coz Campbell is no good but we won clearances last year when Rough lost the ruck.

We are not just getting beaten we are getting spanked.

I agree. I'm not just pinning it on one guy, but the weakness in our team seems to follow wherever this guy appears to coach.

True, but roughy was never an immensely strong hitout ruckman.
2. No Mitch
Yup, hope hes back soon.
That I have noticed aswell, but even with Bont in there we got very soundly beaten by guys waltzing out of there on numerous occasions. These aren't quick players either.
Libba is averaging 20 touches with 14 contested. His touches are a bit down. He's the best tackle player in the league at the moment though. So the effort is there, he's just getting the ball a hell of a lot less.
This will even out as the season progresses, but we are still more talented than a lot of teams in this league and not playing like it.

Reckon Roughead is under estimated. Jumps hard and very good around the ground.

If you were going to pick our weakest point before the season after 4 games, you would not have selected the centre bounce and clearances. Yet here we are.

With Bont he is a long way off peak fitness, he looked stuffed in the last- wait until he gets fully fit.

Campbell will get better as well. Missed pre season and ankle is still not right.

Also think the MC erred in not picking enough contested players for first 3 rounds. I think Clay and Dunkley will be useful additions once they get some match practice. Remember we won the flag based on contested ball wins, no pretty outside play.

It's not the same crew at all

Hunter and Dahl are spending far less time in and Stringer and Jong far more time.

It's a completely different mix to last year. Structures and plays have changed also.

Admittedly Roughy is a big loss coz Campbell is no good but we won clearances last year when Rough lost the ruck.

We are not just getting beaten we are getting spanked.
Bontempelli and Dahl spent enough time in the middle tonight not to get cooked that bad by Norf's midfield.

Campbell's follow up work in 3rd and 4th quarters actually saved us tonight. Roughy might have been more consistent in that contribution. That's a guess though. Roughead is definitely the better ruck.

Hunter has always been a receive and deliver guy with small spurts in and under. They miss mitch wallis but still dominated the area when he was out last season.

It sounds like you're disagreeing with me for the most part but agreeing its a major unexpected weakness. I'm presenting an alternative reason as to why.

Lets wait and see for everyone to come back fit and play some more games but there is something systemically wrong in there. It is not just personnel.

Usually love ya work mate but this post is completely ridiculous, nuff said
Fair enough. I don't post here to get everyone to agree with me :)

I thought it would be an interesting point of discussion that has bothered me other than the usual
Player A was good
Player B was s**t

He should be dropped
He should get a call up

Bontempelli and Dahl spent enough time in the middle tonight not to get cooked that bad by Norf's midfield.

Campbell's follow up work in 3rd and 4th quarters actually saved us tonight. Roughy might have been more consistent in that contribution. That's a guess though. Roughead is definitely the better ruck.

Hunter has always been a receive and deliver guy with small spurts in and under. They miss mitch wallis but still dominated the area when he was out last season.

It sounds like you're disagreeing with me for the most part but agreeing its a major unexpected weakness. I'm presenting an alternative reason as to why.

Lets wait and see for everyone to come back fit and play some more games but there is something systemically wrong in there. It is not just personnel.

The reason why is the mix in there and players that aren't good enough spending FAR too much time in there instead of being pinch hitters and helping out. Far too much tweeking and trying to be clever just for the sake of it in my opinion. Put your best players around the footy as much as possible and get the others to give them breaks.

And I'm not just talking about one bloke but he is definitely part of the problem.

This very same argument goes around whenever we hit a bumpy patch of form and tends to go away when we are firing on all cylinders. Only the names ever change.

This very same argument goes around whenever we hit a bumpy patch of form and tends to go away when we are firing on all cylinders. Only the names ever change.
Wasnt familiar with the previous threads.

More than happy to eat crow if we return to last year's dominance or even something close.

I don't think I will though.

Wasnt familiar with the previous threads.

More than happy to eat crow if we return to last year's dominance or even something close.

I don't think I will though.

Not so much a thread as a narrative that has gone around many times.

If we are setting up differently at stoppages or anywhere else on the field, then Beveridge is as much to blame as any of the line coaches. These changes are never made in isolation.

Not so much a thread as a narrative that has gone around many times.

If we are setting up differently at stoppages or anywhere else on the field, then Beveridge is as much to blame as any of the line coaches. These changes are never made in isolation.
I understand that, but if we have a new coach to look after stoppages and set plays, and we've gone from an elite level team to getting absolutely murdered in that exact area, at what point is one allowed to attribute some responsibility to the single noticeable change that's been made by the club in that area?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back