Oppo Camp Daniel Wells signs with Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure about Lang,he is a tryer but has to many bad turnovers for mine,not a good sign for a young
player going forward.
Lang will need to turn it around was poor this year,he and the club prob need to know where he plays he's best footy at this stage he's not a afl mid.
Need to turn these high picks into good players.

Do not want Quivorir he wont train or go to club meetings he'll spend too much time on BF,prob Be late to games.
:D:p.
Oh yeah he'll want too much money too:eek:.
If there is one thing I am always on time for, its footy :p

FWIW, Wells came in 3rd place on the NM BF board B&F
Tarrant
Ziebell
Wells....
Boomer in 6th
Goldstein in 10th
Didn't realise Wells still had a pretty fair season this year.

The draft picks we gave up to secure Dangerfield, Henderson, Smith and Stanley are far more compromising to our future than signing a single (or even two) older free agent. We've already mortgaged the future; deciding not to address an obvious need because of arbitrary age policies would be strange.

We need ball winners and real pace. Wells fills NO obvious need. None whatsoever. And is 32 next year. FFS people have a bloody think.

FWIW, Wells came in 3rd place on the NM BF board B&F
Tarrant
Ziebell
Wells....
Boomer in 6th
Goldstein in 10th
Didn't realise Wells still had a pretty fair season this year.
A lot of bias there imo, personally thought he was pretty meh all season.

Out Mitch Clark. In Wells. No great net loss age wise. Will add pace which we so badly need. Can find the ball and hit a target.

He is class, but lets see how he goes in a Collingwood Jumper.

We need ball winners and real pace. Wells fills NO obvious need. None whatsoever. And is 32 next year. FFS people have a bloody think.

We don't need more ball winners we are plenty fine at winning the ball. We have to play so slow and conservative coming out of defence because we have too many guys who have no pace to break a line and have average footskills at best so we can't take risks with kicks trying to open the game up. Not saying we should get Wells that's up to the medicos but that player type that he is (i.e. speed and sidestep and skill or disposal by foot) is definitely something we need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're one of the first bemoaning how slow we are and we need to move the ball quicker.
Wells/Deledio improve that.
One is cheaper and the other is more durable.
Would be happy to recruit either if the price is right (inb4 Larry Emdur reference ;))

We don't need more ball winners we are plenty fine at winning the ball. We have to play so slow and conservative coming out of defence because we have too many guys who have no pace to break a line and have average footskills at best so we can't take risks with kicks trying to open the game up. Not saying we should get Wells that's up to the medicos but that player type that he is (i.e. speed and sidestep and skill or disposal by foot) is definitely something we need.

I think it's more a case of mentality then a lack of suitable players. If Scott wanted them to take the game on more they would. Adding Wells off half back wouldn't change it one bit.

No thanks. I think he's been great and he has something to offer some clubs, but I'd rather develop our younger players and manage the older players we already have, rather than import a new, older, injury-plagued player.
But good luck to him - I thought Brayshaws comments about loyalty through the week were out of line.

Probably not at this stage, but I think he's been ok for a kid with limited opportunities for AFL exposure.
I guess I'm in the same boat as some other surporters,unsure where he plays he's best footy.
I didn't think he was much good in the last 2 VFL games,those type of players on the edge of the best 24 players should play well in the VFL IMHO.
I hope he has a good preseason and has a better year next season.

Think we need both. We looked awful thin for ball/contest winners a lot this year and Bartel is finished. Wells is not THAT quick. He'd be a 32yo 'upgrade' (if you could even call it that) on Duncan and not much else. Yes could do with more speed and run out of defense but again not sure Wells is the man for that.

Last edited:
You're one of the first bemoaning how slow we are and we need to move the ball quicker.
Wells/Deledio improve that.
One is cheaper and the other is more durable.
Would be happy to recruit either if the price is right (inb4 Larry Emdur reference ;))
Have banged on about it but felt we had the players to help it in the side already. Side just needed some altering (and clearance players back). With Lonergan out for Thurlow next year and either Ruggles or Bews in I'm happy enough with that side of things.

Deledio yep. Won't argue with that. Deledio would help for sure specially as Mackie and Enright finish up too. Just not sure Wells does.

Last edited:
I think it's more a case of mentality then a lack of suitable players. If Scott wanted them to take the game on more they would. Adding Wells off half back wouldn't change it one bit.

I do agree they would play definitely if they were told to but why would Scott tell them to do that? That sort of attack quickly off half back and through the middle style doesn't suit the strengths and weaknesses in our back line, if we tried it we would lose more than we win. My points was if we could get either through draft/trade/FA some guys that can give us footskills and speed through there it would open up the option to be more flexible with our gamestyle and play quicker at times, which I think would be a good thing to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back