Recommitted Darcy Gardiner [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 22 key defender in 2013 draft from the 'footy factory' Geelong Falcons. Was rated the best KD in the draft (competition being Leslie at 20, McStay as a swingman at 25, Pearce at 37, Kolodjashnij at 41, Barrass at 43 and Allir at 44).

Had development pumped into him. Would be a big loss to the Lions, especially if uncontracted (loses currency at trade table).

Was going to form a great tandem with Clarke before he retired, and now if he goes they need to probably play Andrews and McStay down there with Cutler as a third tall, but would think they prefer McStay up forward battling with Freeman, Hipwood, Schache and Close for a spot. Only problem is I guess they are all young and if one is being forced into the NEAFL regularly, will lose that one cheap, and chance the development of others are stifled if forced to do too much too early. Plenty of talent though.

Wouldn't be the worst idea for Brisbane to let him go if they can get a sub-30 pick for him. They've got a plethora of young talls and are only bringing more in. Another pick in that 25 range would be great for their recruiters.

Wouldn't be the worst idea for Brisbane to let him go if they can get a sub-30 pick for him. They've got a plethora of young talls and are only bringing more in. Another pick in that 25 range would be great for their recruiters.

To just repeat the process?

I liked the looks of Gardiner in 2013. I think he was talked about as a chance to go to us at 18 or 19. Pretty strange that he's still without a contract heading into the trade period, I wonder if a club has put a decent offer towards him and he's weighing it up? I'd be pretty happy with him at the Saints although I think we'd struggle to find a pick to satisfy the Lions with no second this year and our 2017 second potentially going to GWS for Steele.

To just repeat the process?

I liked the looks of Gardiner in 2013. I think he was talked about as a chance to go to us at 18 or 19. Pretty strange that he's still without a contract heading into the trade period, I wonder if a club has put a decent offer towards him and he's weighing it up? I'd be pretty happy with him at the Saints although I think we'd struggle to find a pick to satisfy the Lions with no second this year and our 2017 second potentially going to GWS for Steele.
To recruit another fresh face for the new coach to mould, in a position where they're not stacked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Uncontracted, with rumours around that he is looking at returning home to Victoria. Can any Lions fans shed some light?

There aren't any rumours that any Lions fans are aware of.

That would be so far from "great" it's not even funny

Who even goes for value anymore
It's about where the player wants to go and what that club has

Would allow you to free up Carlisle to play his natural intercept game.

A lot of trades are one-sided due to players nominating clubs recently. But there's always a few trades which start off or end up even.

I'd be open to it but evidently no ones heard much. Wouldn't be surprised to see him sign with the Lions soon.

Need him to stay in Brisbane for another year or two before Lonergan and Mackie retire then he can come home

Remove this Banner Ad

Back