Player Watch Darcy Moore

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our forward line is more suited to a crumbing forward as the forward entries are so erratic there's lots of loose balls. Jeremy Howe would also go well cos he can mark anything, no matter how far off the mark the kick is.
There is never any loose balls, it’s a 5 v 7 Forward line in the oppositions favour.

"Frawley has an opinion he has totally made up so that people will listen to him on the radio"
It's amazing what a numb nuts Frawley is.

Eg sounds like a great dumb bozo. But seriously thinks he's a football heavyweight.

And any time you listen to Him, within minutes he'll relate it back to st Kilda.
Like steven j Peake.
Always back to st kilda.

He is not a smart guy.

Journalist rings Peter Moore asks what he thinks
Moore speaks reasonably and rationally
Journalist picks eyes of the comments out of context and uses the word "lashed out"
Suddenly the sky falls in, "Darcy thrown under the bus" "Moore Lashes Buckley" "Frawley has an opinion he has totally made up so that people will listen to him on the radio" people think Darcy is moving clubs, etc etc etc

Relax dudes its the quiet season. Media need to make up stories, Nothing to see here
Fake news
Whilst I agree, the 'fake news' reference always relates back to Donald Trump for me, and I despise just about everything the man says and does. Perhaps you could choose an alternative means of expressing your distrust of the media's reporting of non-season news.

Whilst I agree, the 'fake news' reference always relates back to Donald Trump for me, and I despise just about everything the man says and does. Perhaps you could choose an alternative means of expressing your distrust of the media's reporting of non-season news.
Fake news, is just perfect as an expression.
So much of the media is fake.

Think a few clubs will be making a big play for the out of contract Moore after 2018 season. Like of St Kilda already having a sniff

Maybe so, but I had never heard it used until Trump ran for president. What he termed fake news was news that didn't support his position, not fake at all, just news he didn't like. He dismissed real news as fake news and therein for me lies the danger in using the term, as it can be subjectively employed to dismiss unpopular views.

Maybe so, but I had never heard it used until Trump ran for president. What he termed fake news was news that didn't support his position, not fake at all, just news he didn't like. He dismissed real news as fake news and therein for me lies the danger in using the term, as it can be subjectively employed to dismiss unpopular views.
So fake news is fake news?

So fake news is fake news?
If it's fake yes. If it's termed fake but is true, no. If Trump says it is fake, then it is almost certainly definitely true. If it is about Collingwood in the off season, it may be fake, but may also be true. Or it may be partly true but embellished. Perhaps you could say that media news about Collingwood is about as fake or real as the news we receive from the club's mouthpieces.

If it's fake yes. If it's termed fake but is true, no. If Trump says it is fake, then it is almost certainly definitely true. If it is about Collingwood in the off season, it may be fake, but may also be true. Or it may be partly true but embellished. Perhaps you could say that media news about Collingwood is about as fake or real as the news we receive from the club's mouthpieces.
Is my fake post fake?
And if my fake post is fake, does it make it not fake?
Or is that fake?
I'm faked by the fakery

haha i agree ! he suffered a great loss today. Might be the beginning of the end. Almost losing control of the senate will frustrate him no end (not that he could do anything while he had control!)

Think a few clubs will be making a big play for the out of contract Moore after 2018 season. Like of St Kilda already having a sniff
It was reported months ago that he’s already in negotiations for a contract extension so I don’t think that will be an issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was reported months ago that he’s already in negotiations for a contract extension so I don’t think that will be an issue.
It's Harry O.

7728457d18b62b0b7f751b5d787baa3d.jpg

Moore Snrs comments are very intuitive. He's right too. The 5 man forward line makes it hard for us to score. Also importantly it makes it hard to hold the ball in. It's time we went back to 6 up front. I can't wait to see it when the opposition needs to be accountable on Fas and Elliott. On Moore and Cox. Let our defenders be accountable to accommodate that. We've played our best footy under Bucks when we even the numbers and the contest; and do without the extra on-baller or defender.

Sure, there are elements of the media that are liars. Especially in the US.

But "fake news" is a deliberately pernicious slur against virtually any journalist who dares to say a bad word about Trump. Makes my skin crawl when it starts slipping into the lexicon.

The irony is that the term was popularised by the biggest liar of the new millennium!

Cheers Scodog. I don't mind you correcting me because I respect your knowledge of the team and its structure.

Unfortunately, in order to protect Moore's self confidence we rob our our forward line of height and talent. Do you see Reid playing forward in a scenario that has Moore playing back? Because if not, who else can play a key role in attack? Moore has never been a high possession gatherer in defence either so seems unlikely to improve significantly on his 8 disposals a game, almost Presti-like figures. If he keeps his opponent quiet I guess he has done his job.

You say 'it isn't the path you would follow'. What would you do?

I genuinely don’t know where Reid fits in any longer. Let’s look at what we do know assuming everyone is fit.

Cox starts best 22 (up forward for the most part), Moore, whilst having that flexibility, spends most time forward and WHE. There are also spots there for Fas and Elliott so that’s 5 of the 7 roles locked in, IMO.

Now if you’re going to allow the outnumber it means three points need to be addressed for it to be productive, IMO:

1. Ball movement needs to be fast. I’m talking Adelaide fast and without Sinner in 2017 we sucked in this area. Murray is a real obvious answer to this issue to begin the season and it’s for this reason I introduced his name earlier in the discussion. Let’s hope he delivers because alternatives are thin on the ground! Personally the decision to overlook Barry at pick 60 hurts here.

2. Efficiency going I50. Too often in 16-17 Adams or Treloar have been left with this responsibility and the results have reflected that. If we have the ball in the hands of Wells, Pendles, JDG, Maynard or Steele I70 more often this will improve.

3. You need to be zippy at ground level. Let’s say that of the 6 forwards on the field Moore is the one that’s now going to be released (in past years it was a mid). That potentially leaves WHE, Cox, Fas, Elliott and Reid as the five forwards (Stephenson, Daicos, Broomhead and Brown as the 7th). That’s not zippy enough because Reid and Cox are both non-events at ground level. Fasolo is barely above that and Elliott is average at best.

My personal opinion is along the lines of Quicky. If we can create more break even contests we’ll be able to not only generate more opportunities, but will lock the ball inside easier creating repeat opportunities. Back the midfield in to win more often than not and have them running more defensivenely to support the defensive group. If we see more of Treloar and Adams with ball in hand backward of the wing I’ll be happy. All of that means a shift to defense for Reid if he’s lucky. I get the feeling though that his days are numbered with the comments of Buckley that they’re looking to have Scharenberg step up a weight division, so to speak, but I think the team is best served with him down back in 2018.

In terms of playing key roles in attack I don’t think the club really cares and neither do I TBH. Think 2010 only Dids won our goalkicking with just 41 goals. All that’s needed is a positive contribution where everyone plays their role. Let the key playmakers come from our stronger lines in the midfield and defense.

Again it isn’t how I’d structure up, but the coaches job remains on the line contracted or otherwise and another failed season would be disastrous. This is the path he’s chosen and he WILL stick to it. That is of course until a month in when it fails and we’re behind the 8 ball again with little chance of making the finals...

Sure, there are elements of the media that are liars. Especially in the US.

But "fake news" is a deliberately pernicious slur against virtually any journalist who dares to say a bad word about Trump. Makes my skin crawl when it starts slipping into the lexicon.

The irony is that the term was popularised by the biggest liar of the new millennium!
I just like it as an expression.

Everyone, if they wish can get into hives about it. Not worth the angst for that fellow.

In three years the incumbent of the White House will be gone and we’ll all wonder what happened there.

I just like it as an expression.

Everyone, if they wish can get into hives about it. Not worth the angst for that fellow.

In three years the incumbent of the White House will be gone and we’ll all wonder what happened there.

Hives and angst is pretty dismissive, Saintly.

I find his buffoonery endlessly entertaining, sure, but he's also a real problem for us, not just for Americans.

Speaking of which, I have close friends in the US whose lives are very much impacted by him through what he's doing to their already messed up health and education systems. They're life long Republicans from the South and even they are appalled by his actions, not just his words.

He's a genuine threat to our security through his ties with Russia and his foolish, egocentric recklessness re North Korea and others.

His government is trying to do away with net neutrality which could have serious implications for the way we use the internet around the world.

He and his administration are hell bent on delegitimising the fourth estate of the most powerful and influential nation on Earth (although China also says hi).

He's recklessly tipped the balance in peace negotiations between Palestine and Israel in order to appease fundamentalist Christians in his own country.

He might be a curiosity and a joke to many but he's a serious threat to the lives of countlesd millions.

I know I'll probably be told to calm the farm and that I'm overreacting, but I'm not. The guy is a time bomb for all of us. If he doesn't go off it will be because we are very lucky, not because we had a coke and a smile through it all and we knew better.

Edit: Sorry for the rant (and in the wrong place too!).

Had a tough chat with some American friends recently and I hate what this guy is doing to their country. :)

Last edited:
Moore Snrs comments are very intuitive. He's right too. The 5 man forward line makes it hard for us to score. Also importantly it makes it hard to hold the ball in. It's time we went back to 6 up front. I can't wait to see it when the opposition needs to be accountable on Fas and Elliott. On Moore and Cox. Let our defenders be accountable to accommodate that. We've played our best footy under Bucks when we even the numbers and the contest; and do without the extra on-baller or defender.
I actually think Fas and Elliott need to be more accountable in keeping the ball in. Their defensive skills left a lot to be desired and was part of the reason we got hurt on the rebound so much.

I actually think Fas and Elliott need to be more accountable in keeping the ball in. Their defensive skills left a lot to be desired and was part of the reason we got hurt on the rebound so much.

It was 7 against 5. We're not gonna win that one. I agree there is improvement in those two, particularly Elliott who was a menace when he debuted and has dropped off a bit defensively. I think Fas did improve last year. But to me fixing that out-number will do more to fix ball retention than any amount of development in those two.

It's also a big factor in why our forward defensive pressure is low.

It was 7 against 5. We're not gonna win that one. I agree there is improvement in those two, particularly Elliott who was a menace when he debuted and has dropped off a bit defensively. I think Fas did improve last year. But to me fixing that out-number will do more to fix ball retention than any amount of development in those two.

I'm hopeful that our midfield will really click in 2018 and start delivering on the potential meaning we're less in need of that extra player behind the footy.

I'm hopeful that our midfield will really click in 2018 and start delivering on the potential meaning we're less in need of that extra player behind the footy.
I think it's been a philosophy thing rather than a need to play one extra on or behind the ball. We've wanted a zoning defence that provides overlapping run.

Saying that we always play 5 v 7 basically means that every other side in the comp is also playing a 5 man forward. Otherwise it would be 5 v 6.

So it's not like we are doing anything other teams aren't.

I just don't think it suits us. For a number of reasons

1. We typically use our spare around the ball or off the back of the square. This means we really don't get that much of an outnumber in defence anyway. Our midfield is good enough to go head to head, so I don't see the reason for getting more numbers around the ball

2. We haven't had a line-breaking half back like other teams. So if we allow opposition the spare men, they are likely to be more effective than us. We have guys like Howe, Scharenberg, Langdon, Dunn who are all good peel-off intercept markers...but not a lot of foot-speed.

3. We don't have a hulking Full Forward who can compete or draw the extra defenders to even up the contest at ground level. So defenders just sag off and kill the contest. If for example we get Tom Lynch, he'll draw 2 or 3 in the air, which immediately gets rid of the outnumber at ground level.

If I were coach, I'd be going a 6,6,6 structure. If opposition drop a spare back, I'd still hold the structure because I reckon 6 v 7 isn't that big an advantage anyway. Especially if we Mason Cox can start drawing some opponents. And then we still get an outnumber by 1 in defence.

I'd also be using Varcoe permanently in defence unless Sam Murray can break through. I think Varcoe and Crisp offers some good drive, while Scharenberg and Howe are good intercept marks/ball users.

Then I just back in our mids. We don't need to bolster this area of the ground because it's where all our talent lies. Surely they can win their own footy, even if the opposition are trying to outnumber around stoppages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back