Universal Love Darren Burgess football fitness academy

Remove this Banner Ad

I have been banging on about this right from the first NAB cup game at Norwood, we looked cooked from the start. I commented on this forum earlier this year when I heard him interviewed. Arrogant and dismissive of any questioning re our fitness regime this year. Kenny commented not too long ago that with hindsight we may have done a few things differently in the preseason which, I thought at the time, was a big shift from the unwavering support shown previously. The club better review this thoroughly. Hopefully we havent put too many eggs in one basket re tge fitness academy etc and Burgess. I think yiu can attribute a lot of our malais to our fitness tnis year. we would not have questioned in the previous 2 years the players' effort snd Ken's coaching or ability to bring out thje best in them. I'm not going to start now. Start questioning Burgess and the changes implemented preseason 2015.

I reckon it's been more attitude and effort than burgess' pure regimes fault. This is because if you see our win against st Kilda, as early as 3 quarter time even when the sieran sounded the boys body language depicted that of exhaustion. Schulz was squatted down and we barely put effort into the song because we were buggered. Fast forward a week and the boys could have still ran out another quarter after the final siren. WHen the oppo gets a run on we become incredibly lazy

The trumpets down at Port Adelaide have been blowing loudly. Did we win 3 premierships in a row and I missed it?

I would love to see 3 in a row.. this season was supposed to be the first :(

Short preseason this year and so much focus on our running fitness in the off season and not enough on our skills, tackling etc? We took a punt and lost once Polec was out?. Back to basics now. I wonder how Bulldogs seem to be able to play fast exciting footy, run out the game AND hit targets? I don't want to speak ill of the dead but Walsh said publicly after he joined the Crows that Crows are the fittest team he has worked with and suggested that our boys' superior fitness was a misnomer, all in the head. A nasty slur on our group. Our boys looked up to him so did they then start believing too that they really don't have the fitness edge? Also what the hell is our expert GPS person bringing to our group after joining the club amid much fanfare? Also our management were thrilled with our draw but the footy department wasn't. I know we had to improve our $$$ bottom line but we also need to win games and have a fair draw and reasonable timeslots. It has been a shit year in so many ways.

Not sure that is the case. We finished the 2014 season 1 week later than we did in 2013, and the 2015 season started later than 2014 due to the cricket World Cup so, at the very least, it would have been the same length.

Burgess is ex Liverpool.How much success have Liverpool had in the last 10 years or so?
Our players are about as muscular as EPL players too.

Not an angry conclusion m8 but one formed across the season. You only need a few players not committed to working hard enough for our team defense to come unravelled and we have far more than a few. Our final quarters in general this year have been strong so I don't believe fitness is the major issue. Is it fitness that allows the Dogs to get 3-1 to almost every contest in the second qtr? Is it fitness that sees our players not shepherd allowing opposition to run past them and tackle their teamate? If you think that more than a couple of players, or even that, can look us in the eye and say they gave their all yesterday to exhaustion.....mind boggling.

If I have a beef with Burgess, and I do, it isn't whether we can run games out, it is the overly lean body shape most of our players have developed. We have looked like kids vs men a number of times this year. Craziness.
The coaching staff obviously know more than me but I don't reckon Ollie Wines was at his bullocking best this year due to body shape refinement.

Burgess is ex Liverpool.How much success have Liverpool had in the last 10 years or so?
Our players are about as muscular as EPL players too.
What a straw to clutch at, nevermind the fact that Liverpool have won a few trophies in that timeframe and Burgess was only there a few years, and fitness coaches aren't exactly champion-makers.

btw,

steven-gerrard-day.jpg

What a straw to clutch at, nevermind the fact that Liverpool have won a few trophies in that timeframe and Burgess was only there a few years, and fitness coaches aren't exactly champion-makers.

btw,

steven-gerrard-day.jpg
Where are his nipples?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For being a club that's been on the scientific quest of being on the cutting edge of football, we haven't faired very well.

There are 18 clubs who are 'on the scientific quest of being on the cutting edge of football' :drunk:

The **** do you want? Not bother trying? Failing to innovate is the only sure fire way of falling well behind the pack.

Jon Ralph said at half time of tge St Kilda game today that a review has commenced at the club in particular fitness and medical depts. He also said Kochie confirmed it. Wasted year. I am so pi**ed off.

There are 18 clubs who are 'on the scientific quest of being on the cutting edge of football' :drunk:

The **** do you want? Not bother trying? Failing to innovate is the only sure fire way of falling well behind the pack.

Ah its only you ...

Many feel we have continued to place ourselves at a disadvantage with lesser size and weight overall.

Heard that it is a physical conditioning that went all wrong as the players lost too much weight. Heard from the inner sanctum that they will hire a conditioning expert and a name that came was Chad Cornes from GWS. Also heard that Phil Walsh was able to show and tell the mids about their respective opponents on how best to combat them with respect to their setups. Heard that Voss is completely different that he is all show and not much intel. He shows them how to tackle and grunt but not so much on where to stand and how to combat the opposition mids. Game starts and stops there really. We looked like kids coming off the park on Saturday and the dogs looked like bull dogs, more presence.

Need burgess to study Andrew Russell as he has been the real success over the last 15 years with premierships at Essendon, Port Adelaide and now at Hawthorn. To think we did not offer this guy enough money to stay and he went to Hawthorn with Alistar Clarkson. What a mistake as you look what he has done to Stuart Dew (weight problem), Shaun Burgoyne (suspect knees) yet they have been important contributors in the premierships they have won at PA and Hawthorn.

Ah its only you ...

Many feel we have continued to place ourselves at a disadvantage with lesser size and weight overall.

Only :$

We haven't got things right this year but trying to argue that innovation is stupid is well, stupid.

Only :$

We haven't got things right this year but trying to argue that innovation is stupid is well, stupid.

Ah still trying to make something out of nothing, you are. There was no attempt from me to argue innovation was stupid, stupid. If there's such thing as a cyber stalker always looking for trouble, you're it. Lifesaver.

Last edited:
Gee you can go from hero to zero real quick in this game.

In hindsight, the problems were there from the first game of the season. We arm wrestled with Freo for three quarters and I'm sure everyone expected us to steamroll them in the last quarter, as we had on three occasions against them last year. Instead, we surrendered and looked tired and out of legs by game's end.

Underdone, overcooked. Choose your own problem. We haven't got it right this year and it needs to be sorted heading into next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back