Power freak 2008

Premiers 2004, 2020 Covid Premiers
Nov 1, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys/New York Yankees
The biggest move that Port has made for relevance is the coaching academy. Let's all take a step back and think what they are talking about. The club sees Burgess as one of the world's most influential identities in sports science. They approach him and say, " If you coach our team we will help you develop you as a your own entity". We are talking about NFL, EPL, Seria A, International Cricket, NHL, all coming here to Port Adelaide.

Why would teams from around the world come here?.........................Footy!!!!

It is a unique sport that requires a combination of strength, speed, agility. balance and coordination. It is a nightmare to plan for. I feel that the club realizes that they can leverage off of the experience of Burgess and the uniqueness of our sport. This is why we were so upset that Richardson left and why he even balked in the first place to take over a senior role.

This is the big move that has the Cows in a tizzle. It is hard to predict what he impact of this audacious bid to engage sport on an international level.

Does anybody remember the article in the Fertilizer on the Cows Head fitness coach ( Nick Poulos) and their shameless promotion of his credentials. I don't dispute their claims but it reeked of reactionary tactics to say "We have our own guru".

The difference is that we are backing our guru in and giving him a platform to develop himself and start his own high performance center that is the envy of top clubs such as Liverpool or a top Cricket nation. We are looking at coaching in particular but if he is successful, this is the type of publicity that the AFL is looking for.

We all need to sit back and watch this space because anything could happen.

BTW, if anybody thinks I'm exaggerating, ask the club. This was what Kochy was alluding to in his adress to us all on family day.

The biggest move that Port has made for relevance is the coaching academy. Let's all take a step back and think what they are talking about. The club sees Burgess as one of the world's most influential identities in sports science. They approach him and say, " If you coach our team we will help you develop you as a your own entity". We are talking about NFL, EPL, Seria A, International Cricket, NHL, all coming here to Port Adelaide.

Why would teams from around the world come here?.........................Footy!!!!

It is a unique sport that requires a combination of strength, speed, agility. balance and coordination. It is a nightmare to plan for. I feel that the club realizes that they can leverage off of the experience of Burgess and the uniqueness of our sport. This is why we were so upset that Richardson left and why he even balked in the first place to take over a senior role.

This is the big move that has the Cows in a tizzle. It is hard to predict what he impact of this audacious bid to engage sport on an international level.
This if it pays off could be huge for the club in the long run. These coaches are going to pay to come here. It's an income stream separate from on-field performance and one assumes with Burgess getting a nice extra pay top up as part of it (there by locking him in further, though that doesn't seem required). And the countless media opportunities of international profile coaches with our players / coaches / fitness people. 5doubleCrow, the cowtiser and SNAFL will be trying to shoot this down heavily and quickly.

This if it pays off could be huge for the club in the long run. These coaches are going to pay to come here. It's an income stream separate from on-field performance and one assumes with Burgess getting a nice extra pay top up as part of it (there by locking him in further, though that doesn't seem required). And the countless media opportunities of international profile coaches with our players / coaches / fitness people. 5doubleCrow, the cowtiser and SNAFL will be trying to shoot this down heavily and quickly.

Exactly Andre and Power freak. And not just coaches.

Instead of sporting teams heading to places like Dubai to access world class facilities/coaches, how great would it be for other sporting organisations to seek out Port Adelaide's world class sports science coaching/facilities?

Its still a long way off but its a damn fine goal to strive for. Hope this takes off but we really need to ensure it is funded and structured correctly and doesnt end up as another Multifunction Polis debacle.

I'll be keeping a keen eye on these acadamies we seem to be pushing.

Does anybody remember the article in the Fertilizer on the Cows Head fitness coach ( Nick Poulos) and their shameless promotion of his credentials. I don't dispute their claims but it reeked of reactionary tactics to say "We have our own guru".

The difference is that we are backing our guru in and giving him a platform to develop himself and start his own high performance center that is the envy of top clubs such as Liverpool or a top Cricket nation. We are looking at coaching in particular but if he is successful, this is the type of publicity that the AFL is looking for.

BTW, if anybody thinks I'm exaggerating, ask the club. This was what Kochy was alluding to in his adress to us all on family day.

It's also a long term vision, train these elite coaches when they are "young" [as far as coaches go].

And who knows we may be able to lure other people with unique experience like Burgess back to the club after they have had experience outside of AFL.

It is a priceless investment.

:thumbsu::thumbsu: Spot on brother. I knew you would get the big picture and see the full potential of this move.

And this is why salary capping Footy Department spending wont work. There are ways around it. We have worked out how to get some of Burgo's remuneration out of the potential cap. That's why we and KT was in the paper yesterday or day before saying we prefer the Luxury Tax model and not a cap as we don't want to stop innovation. I wrote about this off balance sheet - off profit and loss type expenditure in the Footy Industry thread on equalistion. See

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/equalisation-and-the-future.1041636/page-9#post-31608889

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/equalisation-and-the-future.1041636/page-9#post-31670918

here is the ad for the PHD scholarship last year with the Australian Catholic Uni. The scholarship was worth $30,000. Port may have paid half of that which is pretty cheap to have another potential Burgo being involved in the club for a year or two. See

http://blogs.acu.edu.au/mhps/2013/0...alian-catholic-university-postgraduate-award/

At the Family Day - Kochie said it was a partnership beetwen the club and Burgo and a SA Uni would be involved. My money is on Uni SA which the club did several testing activities with over the years when Falloon ran the fitness department.

Massive graveyard bump here, but thought this was as good a place as any to post it following the announcement of

"Burgo's Academy for Coaches Who Want To Coach Sports Good".

Saw this posted by Burgo on Twitter. A guest post by our very own Strength and Conditioning coach Ian McKeown.

http://propelperform.com/guest-post-developmental-elite/

"As a coach you are doing much more than getting someone to lift heavier stuff, you are enabling someone to be a better version of themselves.

In junior sport, parents entrust you with the welfare of their little star, and they will pick up on everything.

Teach them. Teach them good habits about lifestyle and about what it takes to move to the next level in their preparation. Help prepare them for the physiological, structural and emotional roller coaster of performance sport.

This may sound soft and fluffy but I think it is only those who are brave enough to see the opportunity you have to impact on an athlete as a whole that truly become successful as a coach, and find they have a fulfilling and satisfying job."

I think we're in good hands with our fitness department.

Link

He has had an immediate impact with the Power, which was alongside Hawthorn the best-finishing side in 2013 and improved from 14th to fifth on the ladder.

Link

Golden opportunity missed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

everything says we are striving to be a club like we visited, like Milan, a top echalon club that athletes, players, coaches come to train and learn. "it's really exciting for the club, but also the state" said Burgess. Port Adelaide again doing the heavy lifting for us, putting us on the map!

Great move here lot of birds hit with one stone.
Puts Port on the international map where we belong!
Potential income for the club ???
Keeps Burgo at Port while internationalizes his talents where they belong!
Gives access to the Port footy club the best practices available!
Creates national and international relationships that will contribute to Port attracting the right people to the club both on and off field.:)

And the list goes on;)

Well done to the Port brains trust here for building "THE FUTURE":cool:

So when the crowbots fitness staff come knocking for some education, what do we say ... ;)

Great initiative by our club, which is famous for great initiatives.

everything says we are striving to be a club like we visited, like Milan, a top echalon club that athletes, players, coaches come to train and learn. "it's really exciting for the club, but also the state" said Burgess. Port Adelaide again doing the heavy lifting for us, putting us on the map!
inb4 "crows announce coaching academy lead by heath younie".

So when the crowbots fitness staff come knocking for some education, what do we say ... ;)

Great initiative by our club, which is famous for great initiatives.

Put them in their own class, teach them to do Origami and tell them it's to teach the players manual dexterity. :D

I drew a blue duck, because I've never seen a blue duck before...and I guess I wanted to see a blue duck!

BXfn2iw.jpg

Partial credit.

Darren spoke to Fairfax and Caroline Wilson about the damage the Essendon drug saga has done to sports scientists. Also he's been recruited as the fitness guru for a AFL/Foxtel reality show that I'd heard nowt about.

link
Burgess was more recently signed by the Foxtel-AFL joint television venture The Recruit in which a group of 20-something footballers will take part in a 10-part reality series. Placed in a house in South Yarra the hopefuls will work towards the ultimate prize of a place on an AFL club list.
All 18 clubs have agreed to co-operate, with Burgess overseeing the fitness program and some challenges facing the group.
Burgess was reportedly initially reluctant to work on the show but was convinced to do so by senior coach Ken Hinkley whose advice to his lieutenant was to make the most of the opportunity.

link

I'm sure many teams have been trying to catch up to us after last year but tonite we showed we've gotten even better fitness wise........ congrats Darren & team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back