Analysis Death-Riding Melbourne 2018 (now with poll)

Where will Melbourne finish?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne have appointed a new President

la-fi-ct-harvey-weinstein-exits-20171005

Look out pot plants

IF we needed any more proof that the modern concept of player empowerment has shifted too far in favour of the players, we need only look at the example of the Melbourne Football Club.

Scared for their safety, a deputation of Demon players approached the AFL Players Association to assist them to have the club’s commando-style pre-season camp scrapped

Significantly, it’s more indicative of the mindset of the modern millennial footballers who resist being shifted out of their physical and mental comfort zones.

That resistance manifests itself in several ways. Resentment, belligerence, indifference and apathy are several by-products of young athletes who don’t like being told what to do and are empowered by the influence of occupational health and safety advocates

The Demons were much improved in 2017, obviously showing the benefit of that controversial training camp which involved a 20km trek, exhausting physical and mental exercises and sleep deprivation. No doubt it was tough.

Assistant coach Brendan McCartney admitted that the coaches had really pushed their players: “As observers, we actually remarked a couple of times that we felt really bad, really poorly actually for putting the players through this,” he said later.

However, he also recognised the benefit of it.

“It was exactly what they needed, and I’m certain the benefits will materialise at some stage, whether it is in a pivotal moment in a game, or a final or a season.”

I think Graham might be drawing a long bow in attributing Melbourne's improvement to that rigorous training camp. He has given no evidence that it had any effect. It could also be argued that Melbourne's improvement came in spite of the camp, considering the alleged injuries that resulted from it. Also, Melbourne's performances were very erratic during the season and showed that few "benefits will materialise at some stage, whether it is in a pivotal moment in a game, or a final or a season.” Perhaps the players are on to something? They might know better than anyone.

I think Graham might be drawing a long bow in attributing Melbourne's improvement to that rigorous training camp. He has given no evidence that it had any effect. It could also be argued that Melbourne's improvement came in spite of the camp, considering the alleged injuries that resulted from it. Also, Melbourne's performances were very erratic during the season and showed that few "benefits will materialise at some stage, whether it is in a pivotal moment in a game, or a final or a season.” Perhaps the players are on to something? They might know better than anyone.
IIRC it was actually the MELB Assistant Coach, Brendon McCartney that suggested that ?

Young team leads to inconsistencies

McCartney turned out to be wrong about that. They choked at their chance to play finals in 2017 just like they did in 2016.

How about Lever being unhappy with their leadership wants the captaincy in his 1st season there.

Oh God I hope so.

Draft pick No. 1 here we come!!!

Yup whether or not the victim chooses to press charges is no indication as to the seriousness of the offence.

Many, many victims of sexual assault can't face the abject horror of our court process.
Let alone one involving someone known to the public.

Do Melbourne police / courts even have any jurisdiction here? If the alleged incident happened in Bali then wouldn't it need to be dealt with by the legal system there, not in Australia?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently the MELB Storm have been doing the same Commando program, that MELB players rejected, for the last 16 years ....and for twice as long in time
But the Storm are a successful club who want sustained success...

Apparently the MELB Storm have been doing the same Commando program, that MELB players rejected, for the last 16 years ....and for twice as long in time

Would not surprise. I doubt that the people the course were designed for are expected to be as fit and strong as professional AFL level footballers. I'd think most footballers would love the idea of having a crack at something like an SAS selection course. At least the fitness components. Not our mates at Melbourne though. Not that this course has been described as being anything near an SAS selection course.

Would not surprise. I doubt that the people the course were designed for are expected to be as fit and strong as professional AFL level footballers. I'd think most footballers would love the idea of having a crack at something like an SAS selection course. At least the fitness components. Not our mates at Melbourne though. Not that this course has been described as being anything near an SAS selection course.
Says more about the Melbourne players mindset that their fitness levels pulling out.

They were mentally soft when they dropped very winnable games this year that would have put them in the finals... so I expect the same from them in 2018.

Says more about the Melbourne players mindset that their fitness levels pulling out.

They were mentally soft when they dropped very winnable games this year that would have put them in the finals... so I expect the same from them in 2018.
Or were they me mentally strong to challenge the club...or maybe just Goody has lost the playing group

Or were they me mentally strong to challenge the club...or maybe just Goody has lost the playing group
Nothing mentally strong in their actions.

When there is a disconnect between players & coach it is never going to end well...

Back