Opinion Derailed Off-Topic Thread / Are You Bored With Life? discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

iu

656211b6 [media.photobucket.com].gif

the point you've left out is that water can be all three at the same temperature, 0 degrees Celsius, that's why its unique.

Just to clarify this, there are many things that have this thermodynamic triple point but need precise temperature AND pressure. Water can exist as all three at 0 degrees Celsius but needs to be at a very low pressure too, ie at 611 Pascals (according to wikipedia...)
Atmospheric pressure is around 101325 Pascals

So back to the original question, do any of those other "elements" exist in solid, liquid and gaseous form? ;-)
Yes, they all do - depending on the temperature.

But water is pretty much the only one which exists in all 3 states in nature, given the temperature ranges existing naturally on the planet Earth.

the point you've left out is that water can be all three at the same temperature, 0 degrees Celsius, that's why its unique.

Mmm. Gas at 0 deg C. What elevation above sea level will that occur?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do you think clouds are made of? The temperature at that altitude is well below zero, so it makes sense that there is a pressure where water exists as a gas at 0C.
Also clouds at ground level. Fog.
I've seen the experiment where you put water in a vacuum and it boils instantly. Even if it's only 25deg C.
Does that mean if it's put under high pressure it will freeze? I don't think it would.

Also clouds at ground level. Fog.
I've seen the experiment where you put water in a vacuum and it boils instantly. Even if it's only 25deg C.
Does that mean if it's put under high pressure it will freeze? I don't think it would.
Here is the phase diagram for water:

water_phase_diagram_2.gif

Solid at high pressure, even for very high temperatures. The Roman numerals show different crystalline structures of ice.

Then onto hiding a player, thats absolutely utterly impossible to hide a player, that is the most ridiculous comment ever made, all clubs have access to all leagues and all players throughout Australia, its up to the clubs to find them not the rumours they hear
Didn't we 'hide' Ricky Henderson at Trentham after he was identified as a prospect playing basketball in Ballarat?

Didn't we 'hide' Ricky Henderson at Trentham after he was identified as a prospect playing basketball in Ballarat?
No, we arranged for him to play some games at Trentham so we could have a look at him play football again after he had been concentrating on his basketball and hadn't played footy since he was 16. I remembered this story from one of the local papers here in the Victorian Central Highlands at the time. The only "hiding" we did was when he trained with us before the draft.
http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/696925/trenthams-shock-draftee/

20-year-old.Henderson was initially spotted by Adelaide recruiting staff at the National Basketball League Prospects Camp in Melbourne in July, where he impressed with his athletic ability.“I saw Ricky going up and down the court playing basketball and I knew straight away that he was an outstanding athlete,” Crows’ eastern recruiting manager Hamish Ogilvie told The Advertiser.“I did some follow up and asked if he had ever played football before.“He said he had played in Ballarat until he was 16, but then turned to basketball.“I told him that if he ever wanted to have a kick of the footy again that we would watch him play.“I knew if this kid had played footy before, on his asceticism he would have some chance of making it because he’s a brilliant athlete.”

Henderson registered with MCDFL club Trentham, where he played three games late in the season.“I sent one of our part-time recruiters up to have a look at him and the reports were good,” Ogilvie said. “The part-timers looked at him for a couple of games, and then I went and watched him in his third game.” The game Ogilvie went to watch was Trentham’s 23-point win over Campbells Creek in the final round on August 23.And Ogilvie was certainly impressed with what he saw from the 190cm Henderson, who kicked seven goals in the first half.“I know the standard isn’t great, but Ryan just picked it up like he had never stopped playing,” Ogilvie said.“We saw enough in those three games for Trentham to know that Ricky had a chance.”

No, we arranged for him to play some games at Trentham so we could have a look at him play football again after he had been concentrating on his basketball and hadn't played footy since he was 16. I remembered this story from one of the local papers here in the Victorian Central Highlands at the time. The only "hiding" we did was when he trained with us before the draft.
I think you meant to start that with, 'Yes, we arranged for him to play some games at an out-of-the-way country football club...'

Its very hard to handle, and each club is so different, hawthorn seemed to have handled it but their older players have been of such elite quality that they have been able to play to much older, North Melboutrne looked like they have failed with it, but is that because their older players are good but not elite. Certain players are durable imagine Bcrouch when 30 thats a scarey thought he cant get on the park now

Horses for courses on this one,

Yes, hawthorn's handling of Mitchell is a win/win for everybody. Well done. Decades of football history has shown though that it's all about timely exposure/experience to up and coming new-guard rather than trying to wring the last drop out of declining elderly players.

Nah.. we hid him. Got him to stop playing completely once they'd watched him in those 3 games at Trentham, so that none of the other teams would have a chance to see him play.

Was he worth hiding, didnt we cut him ? Mate they could have hidden Grigg aswell, but does it matter. If we could have hidden a betts , talia oe sloane that would be worth it

But if a player is playing football in what ever league it is, its up to the AFL clubs to identify them, if they cant do that then they arent doing their jobs.

When we talk of hiding we talk of someone who will become very very good not someone who gets cut from a list when he has plenty of footy left in him

Nah.. we hid him. Got him to stop playing completely once they'd watched him in those 3 games at Trentham, so that none of the other teams would have a chance to see him play.

Was it worth it, wasnt too much to like about him last year, when the Adelaide BF board were spitting he was getting games!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back