'Destination clubs' - Fallout the AFL didn't see coming?

Remove this Banner Ad

Competitive Richmond v essedon fixtures have been big drawing games for decades.

There is no mystical magical marketing exercise going on here.

Round 3 M.C.G - 90,564
Round 13 Waverley - 64,319

Only 7 H&A crowds of more than 80k between us and them, 4 were Dreamtime games (one was Sheedy and Hird's last games in Victoria).

"Destination club" is a bullshit throw away buzz word utilised by "AFL commentators" that can't be bothered to do any proper research (i.e. 98% of them)

It is not a quantifiable concept.

/thread.
you say that because you go for north melbourne and they had 2 stars reject them

you say that because you go for north melbourne and they had 2 stars reject them

Do you understand that someone started this thread with a view to having a sensible topic related discussion?

Port Adelaide has done quite well the last few years
Pretty much kept our core and
Brought in Ryder, Dixon and now Rockliff last 3 years.

And we are a small club by AFL Collingwood / Richmond / Adelaide / West Coast standards.

Answer to your question for me: Make the football club a destination.
I'd argue that the AFL money spent on the Adelaide Oval and the subsequent fixturing to assist the launch of that venture have given Port a bit of a 'big game' vibe about it too

Smith did mention ANZAC day and Dreamtime amongst his reasons for choosing Essendon.
True
:DI think he was trying avoid saying the bastards cut my contract though.

Not angry he was offerred less money and that's hard to take, but there are taboo subjects. Does seem that as for Treloar and possibly Marchbank the spotlight is part of the allure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, the Tigers finally win a Premiership and become the biggest destination club in the land despite the fact we don't really need anyone and...

a) You start a thread like this.
b) Try to ban using the term salt, salty just when we hold the salt shaker firmly in our grasp.
c) Say it's the worst season and final series ever.

Love bigfooty!

Having room to pay $1.5million a year over 5+ years didn't seem to do much for Norf though...

North could offer 1.5 - even with the 95% floor.

With an 80% (or even 85-90%) floor - maybe they could offer 2m or 2.5m for a few years just to attract the player. Maybe not North as they haven't been that bad for that long so their other players wouldn't have been front ended for years on end but a team like Brisbane probably could just to lure a top end player like Martin. Obviously you couldn't pay that kind of wage for too long but a couple of years at that level would be mighty hard to turn down.

When you try to gain a player by simply offering more money - there's a certain point where if a player is loyal they will say "look I'd still prefer to stay with my club" and there's another point where they just see $ signs because its so far above what they are currently getting.

The perfect example was the offer Ablett got to go to GC originally. I don't think he had any intention of leaving Geelong until suddenly he had this crazy huge offer and he just couldn't turn it down. Geelong knew they were no chance of even offering close to that amount of money because of the situation.

It all comes back to the fact that right now - no matter how bad you are you have to pay 95% of what the top teams are paying. Now sure some of that will be front-ended to give you more flexibility but it still doesn't make sense that clubs are forced to pay a minimum rather than allowing market forces to determine how much a player is worth.

North could offer 1.5 - even with the 95% floor.

With an 80% (or even 85-90%) floor - maybe they could offer 2m or 2.5m for a few years just to attract the player. Maybe not North as they haven't been that bad for that long so their other players wouldn't have been front ended for years on end but a team like Brisbane probably could just to lure a top end player like Martin. Obviously you couldn't pay that kind of wage for too long but a couple of years at that level would be mighty hard to turn down.

When you try to gain a player by simply offering more money - there's a certain point where if a player is loyal they will say "look I'd still prefer to stay with my club" and there's another point where they just see $ signs because its so far above what they are currently getting.

The perfect example was the offer Ablett got to go to GC originally. I don't think he had any intention of leaving Geelong until suddenly he had this crazy huge offer and he just couldn't turn it down. Geelong knew they were no chance of even offering close to that amount of money because of the situation.

It all comes back to the fact that right now - no matter how bad you are you have to pay 95% of what the top teams are paying. Now sure some of that will be front-ended to give you more flexibility but it still doesn't make sense that clubs are forced to pay a minimum rather than allowing market forces to determine how much a player is worth.

$2.5m is irresponsible spending though and would f*** the cap in another way. Paying that much to Dusty won't turn a basketcase club around.

High-profile recruits from other clubs don't turn poor clubs around, drafting, development, and culture do, and you can't build that by paying 1/4 of your cap to one guy, if anything Ablett to the Suns is proof of that.

Chocco will tell you why..

Can polish the club as much as like but they're still a manufactured club based in a swamp with the main attraction around the joint being West Lakes mall. Port have always been a family club built apon strong traditions. I guess players are attracted to that.

So why don't the Eagles have the same issue that Adelaide does?

So why don't the Eagles have the same issue that Adelaide does?
1. Fremantle is the same, they are also a new club, so there’s no differentiation between them for WA players wanting to return West (and for the WA sides it is usually WA players wanting home).

2. There’s less puppet strings between the WAFL and the WA clubs then the SANFL and Adelaide. Adelaide now officially has their own license, but it’s still the same SANFL / Crows old boys network. This is incredibly toxic and nepotistic.

3. Adelaide are a business, not a club. There aren’t club rooms fans can watch away matches at, or interact with players, current and past for the Crows. Fan engagement is a tightly controlled exercise of star / fans (/customers). Adelaide fans can support them, but never truly be a part of the club, like most clubs, where fans can really feel a part of the club. It’s anathema to Port fans that separation, but they don’t even think about. It’s anathema to how almost every player has experienced football, as a junior and at other clubs. It leads to players feeling they are interchangeable commodities (take the latest example of Adelaide saying they’ve turned Levers original pick, into two first round picks, by investing three years in him, like he was a mutual fund, not a human being). Their inability to relate to players as more than just staff is well known at this point across the league. Most players want a good pay day, but with relatively even salaries, having a workplace that treats you as a soulless machine turns a lot off.

Of course there’ll be the usual retorts that this is all crap and it was just money / coincidence that Adelaide has done worse then other clubs. That’s fine with me, as a Port supporter I’m more then happy for them to keep their heads stuck in the sand. It means we’ll keep getting the players we want, whilst they keep losing theirs.

Last edited:
The biggest flaw to the system is that it becomes a self fulfilling profecy.

Teams like Brisbane and GC end up having to pay more to keep or attract average players so the supposed equalising effect of the salary cap is lost anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

there is little doubt Qola is required

Remove this Banner Ad

Back