Rules Do we need a send off rule?

Remove this Banner Ad

im not sure the AFL is ready for a send off, or even sin bin rule. everythings about being fair. the sub rule was brought in in case someone is knocked out unable to play etc. heard someone in sen say its not in our culture to send players off - except i think in local footy there are send offs. someone else noted that what if it happened in a grand final? well it happens in the world cup where, well, the world cup is at stake. i know its all relative.

interested, anyone here been sent off in local-AFL? or been involved in the game? How did it affect the game?

Is it hypocritical that leigh matthews wants it brought in?

No. So long as he is happy to admit he would have been sent off then it shows growth. Something a lot of ex players don’t seem to embrace when they get in to the media

I'm of the opinion that it should work like so:

If a player gets done for a reportable offence that causes a player to go off, the reported player also goes off for the duration of play that the injured player is off.

This way there is no subjectivity to it. If it is not a reportable offence, play on.

A reportable offence is usually something that is unsportsmanlike and against the game and not what we want in our game. If a player gets injured from one for 30 m, the reported player is also off for 30m. If it's for the whole game, it's for the whole game.

Red cards would be too hard to judge. At least with a reportable offence reasoning, there is reasoning behind it.
Would give a hell of a lot of incentive for teams to keep the ‘injured’ player off if it was the other teams best forward/defender/mid etc.

im not sure the AFL is ready for a send off, or even sin bin rule. everythings about being fair. the sub rule was brought in in case someone is knocked out unable to play etc. heard someone in sen say its not in our culture to send players off - except i think in local footy there are send offs. someone else noted that what if it happened in a grand final? well it happens in the world cup where, well, the world cup is at stake. i know its all relative.

interested, anyone here been sent off in local-AFL? or been involved in the game? How did it affect the game?
I’ve been both red carded and yellow carded. I have been yellow carded for something I didn’t say. I was also yellow carded once for an accidental footy action. I slid in for the ball, back when you were allowed to slide in and got the ball, another player went in head first my knee hit his head while I had the ball. I was sent off because the umpire said I did it on purpose (I didn’t). Both times my team were good enough it had no impact on the result except I got to watch from the sidelines. The two yellow card incidents I would have gotten off on if there was a tribunal, however neither incident was sent to the tribunal.
I am for red cards in a striking type incident such as Gaff/Brayshaw or Hall/Staker. There’s no grey area there at all. It gets seen on the footage, the player gets removed. It also has the added benefit of players not looking for retribution to that player while emotions are running high.

Tigers were up by 3 goals in the last quarter but are blaming their epic choke on a 1st quarter incident..?

Ffs spare me the misery.

steve buscemi film GIF

It's weird how when Cotchin cleaned up Shiel, when "good guy" Bachar laid someone out or when Lynch was clumsy there was no mention of a send off rule from Tigers fans.

But one incident against one of their players and we get 9 pages of hand wringing.

I don't agree with a send-off rule - I've seen too many soccer and/or rugby matches wehere the game is compromised by a team being one short in numbers, and the send-off decision seems harsh or inconclusive.

I don't object to the 'ejection' rule used in Americ sports - the offending player (determined at the time by the umpires on the field) is subbed out of the game and cannot come back on - so his team is one short on the bench.
(Of course, that can lead to the old Ice Hockey situation where teams had designated goons who just came on, punched someone, and were sent off. It became almost ritualised where both teams would send on their goons at the same time, they'd have a brief punch-on (with the refs circling, waiting to see who got in the best whack), they'd both be sent off and the game would continue. (I must admit, this is very unlikely in AFL).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's weird how when Cotchin cleaned up Shiel, when "good guy" Bachar laid someone out or when Lynch was clumsy there was no mention of a send off rule from Tigers fans.

But one incident against one of their players and we get 9 pages of hand wringing.
The AFL community is five years evolved since the Houli incident, apart from Essendon players, coaches and supporters it seems.

The AFL community is five years evolved since the Houli incident, apart from Essendon players, coaches and supporters it seems.
Ah evolution and not sooking is the change in Tigers fans attitude is it?

If you believe that I have a bridge in Sydney across the harbour for sale. Really cheap, do you a good price.

Gaff is the most clear-cut example in recent memory of someone who merited sending off. And if he had been sent off, we wouldn't have got the hilarious targeting of him by Fremantle players the rest of the day. So I am not in favour of any send-offs.

I'm sure it seems really clever to you but why am I in the dark ages?
There’s two reasons. One is the 6506 days since Essendon won a final. The other is that you don’t seem aware of the dangers of concussion and why we need to disincentivise even further acts like we saw Stewart commit on Saturday.

There’s two reasons. One is the 6506 days since Essendon won a final. The other is that you don’t seem aware of the dangers of concussion and why we need to disincentivise even further acts like we saw Stewart commit on Saturday.
How have you drawn this conclusion?

Who says you'd have to stop the game? You'd just have the player sent to the bench by the umpire, and then have the reviewer confirm that the act was worthy of a send off and rule the player out of the game.

I'd say we have too many rules for petty things like a player stepping over an imaginary line, but not enough rules to stop players from getting seriously hurt by dangerous and deliberate acts.
Okay, players has been sent to the bench, reviewer deems it was an okay action.
How is the team compensated for not having that player on the ground for that period of time?

No. So long as he is happy to admit he would have been sent off then it shows growth. Something a lot of ex players don’t seem to embrace when they get in to the media
He'll never do that, still hasn't apologised for what he did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back