Opinion Do you guys actually like this club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, I am a long time member. I think almost everyone on here who bothers to join a forum such as this is a pretty attached fan.
I attend training sessions, attend games, watch them all on TV when I can't attend in person. Even attend member forums.

People are emotional beings and let their heart pour out. These forums represent a 'stage' for doing so amongst like-minded fans. Not surprisingly, people vent when they hope for something better from our on-field performance.

Like many, there are certain frustrations I have with the club though.

But while premierships are the ultimate measuring stick, I think we've been fortunate to have as competitive a team over my lifetime. I'm more passionate I think because of that. I think I would have less interest had I adopted Melbourne, the Saints, the Roos etc as my team as a young kid.

I appreciate that my love for Collingwood brings me closer together with my children and we can share that interest together, particularly with my son who is similarly passionate and attends most games with me. I'd love for my son to attend a premiership with me. He asked me as we walked past AAMI Stadium post the 2018 GF (having attended 2011 as well) 'What's it feel like to win one?'. Pretty bloody good.

I know too that following the Pies will be an interest I can take into retirement one day. I think many people feel lost when they exit the workplace. I have an outlet and passion.

So I lament some of our player selections, our too slow defensive game plan, the absence of a better qualified ruck coach, our lack of crumbing and lack of set shot kicking practice while fatigued, Ed's conflicted role in the media and his tendency to make captains calls which I think has been detrimental to the culture and performance of the organisation.

But I more than like the club.

Well said sir. Great words!

I hate this club that’s why I :

- buy a membership each year
- buy merchandise
- go to games / watch games
- skip on events to watch games
- spend hours daily on BigFooty talking about Collingwood

But since I’m not always kissing Bucks & Eddies feet, I’m a horrible supporter
😂
Very apt!

We all love the club. Otherwise you wouldn’t care enough to Scroll through reems of comments, and post on a forum like this.

All other Club forums are the same, with multiple threads Scrutinizing the club or players by posters / fans.

But I’m already starting to look back on the year that was, and outside of some Pleasing performances and progress from players like Moore, Maynard, Adams, Daicos, Crisp, Quaynor, Noble Ruscoe, T Brown and Madge... this year has been close to our Annus horribilis on multiple levels.

No clubs are immune to off-field issues - and on, but would you have believed the extent and scale of the following list of events that have dogged us this year? The bi-product if which is frustration and heated debate, whilst the trust from fans / members in the club can be fractured, especially if they feel that action won’t be taken. Now I’m sure Eddie and the club would like us to forget about a lot of them in a hurry, but I’m afraid they’ll more likely linger over summer, and be talked about even more on this board, and amongst other observers of the club / media outlets etc, in the v near future...

The Beams deal / lost picks, payout, shady Behavior & broken friendships...
The De Goey Pending court case...
The Heritier Lumumba racism accusation and investigation...
The Sidebottom drinking / arrest scandal...
The Alicia Molik tennis match / senior coaching infraction...
Stephenson’s onfield & rumored off-field issues...
Eddie’s presence in the media continuing to deliver more negative attention than positive...

Major injuries or setbacks to Howe, Treloar, Sier, De Goey, Langdon, Cox, Reid and Kelly...
The lack of KPF’s being exposed, whilst other key talls that the club passed up on have often flourished...
The regression of C Brown, Varcoe, Thomas, Hoskin Elliott, Grundy, Elliott, Shaz, Phillips and Murphy...
The failure of some debutants when rushed into the side...
No debuts from last years top two picks, despite using 40 players throughout the shortened season...
The management our list / salary cap...

The overuse of handballs...
The limp forward line and strategy when DG is not playing, and sometimes when he is..
The inability of our midfield to dominate, despite having some brilliant individual players...
The value of some long standing coaching personnel...
Poor skill levels & the painful spectacle that watching our team has sometimes / often become..

and I’m sure I’ve missed some...

Last edited:
This thread is the opposite end of jmac70 thread we should be celebrating now.

One is of blind optimism in a desperate hope that it will actually happen, otherwise why post it? (Can't deny the frustration though, this club has tried it's best to lose me as a fan through it's inept teasing and rarely pleasing, I imagine I've got plenty of company here)

The other, this one, is questioning any criticism whether emotional, constructive or anywhere in between as * negative, you mustn't like the club*

Just a heads up guys, it's not mad Monday - yet. It'll come soon enough.

Paid member for well over a decade now (since first job I had, I signed up).

Been through some ups and downs but I do not like what Collingwood and more specifically, what the AFL is turning into.

It's becoming an entertainment businesses with an unfair fixturing system dictated by TV schedules and money, and too much political correctness, too much social commentary rather than just what it used to be, escaping the world to watch pure grass roots footy on a Saturday afternoon or Friday night

Collingwood suffers this too with bleeding heart Ed. Ultimately it is a direction I can see heading where just don't give a s**t anymore but will always love the game. Even that though has been tweaked and changed in the name of TV and will go further each year until it's a 1.5 hr product for TV. Probs just go watch VFL but then again, but being interstate the Pies don't even bother broadcasting that anymore like the actual other footy clubs clubs.

That direction,the constant injury crises, the poor coaches who don't even see the things Bigfooty posters can see (after a decade), the unfair grind Pies get put through (4 games in 14 days different states), the constant self sabotaging scandals, the joke of that is the list management with Beams, Grundys 7 year mistake instead of team first etc the general decline of the club from its past working class roots...gee.... it makes the whole thing tough these days. Really tough.

Last edited:
I never cared about any sports, never followed a team -- Collingwood changed that, Forever. As a paid member I appreciate the scarf I'm sent each year, arriving just in time for summer. In the fall when I see high school students here practicing gridiron football I feel sad. "That's the wrong game, mates !"

I notice the AFL is reaching out to people online, people who maybe haven't ever known about Aussie Rules. The online service I use here is great. At a local rec center fundraiser I bought a brick for $100 to plant a little seed in anyone's mind who happens to see it.

footy.jpg

I tell everyone, with excitement, that I love Collingwood. I'll sing the club song and plant a smile. (So glad I didn't choose St Kilda !) At every opportunity I tell people that Aussie Rules is the best team sport on planet earth. I wrote the AFL and told them to trademark that.

Collingwood messed with my mind and continues to mess with my mind. I am grateful.

Got to love the negative nellies - incidentally I don't think we have a prayer of winning over west - but the aggressively attacking responses to a simple question is typical of the NN's.
I rarely post now because of the above conditions.

I think these a difference between having an opinion on the way the team is performing (which you may think is poor) and a general feeling that we can't win a game.

It's possible to be critical and positive at the same time.
It's also possible to love your club while offering an honest assessment of their chances based upon their current form.

Collingwood is in my DNA. Has been for 40 years.

In saying that I have fallen out of love with the club a little bit over the last few years and it has materialised in a lot more negativity about the club.

Just so sick of every year being plagued by injury and off field dramas with players stuffing up and contract drama.

I think that the 2018 GF loss & the Prelim loss to GWS last year still haunt me too. Still not sure how we let those ones slip.

I'm not confident next week but I will still be tuning it and yelling my guts out in the hope we can cause an upset.

Go Pies!
This. :pointup:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There seems to be a swell around these boards, one of negativity and a general feel of giving up - that we can't win this final, our players are overrated, our coaches are no good.

How many of you guys are paid up members? If you are, do you have the same opinion as the above - or is it just a bunch of trolls on this board?
I ask myself a similar question...if it were up to the posters on this board the list would be turned over monthly, the board quarterly and we’d have 5 coach changes per year.

Big footy is a place for discussion and deliberation, it does take too negative an approach for me.

I prefer to call them closet Carlton supporters.

I have been a lurker in past and now poster, Could be accused of being a negative poster re coaching etc. Lifelong supporter of club could never change or be disinterested.

But I guess my negativity comes from I want the club to be recognised as a powerhouse because of it’s ability to win, I want opposition supporters to be jealous that we keep winning not that we won a lot in the 1930s, basically I would rather the club be hated by the opposition for it’s modern day success, would love to have won as many as Hawthorn from 90s to 2000s, I hate that we have money, big supporter base and can’t see to turn it into a dominant culture . If that makes me less of a supporter so be it.

Got to love the negative nellies - incidentally I don't think we have a prayer of winning over west - but the aggressively attacking responses to a simple question is typical of the NN's.
I rarely post now because of the above conditions.

So is this an honest assessment in your mind or are you being a negative nelly? Or is it an honest assessment in your mind but if it's in someone else's mind they're a negative nelly?

No very un-cool as they are given free reign to vent their spleens.
Aren't they?

Yes they are because it's a forum!

Here's some positive news for you, you are also allowed to post any view within the rules. So if you want you can buy as many pairs of rose coloured glasses as you wish as tell us all about it!

There seems to be a swell around these boards, one of negativity and a general feel of giving up - that we can't win this final, our players are overrated, our coaches are no good.

How many of you guys are paid up members? If you are, do you have the same opinion as the above - or is it just a bunch of trolls on this board?
Some people just like to whine, and online forums tend to attract them. If you want to feel a bit better about Collingwood, I'd definitely recommend spending less time on bigfooty

Yes they are because it's a forum!

Here's some positive news for you, you are also allowed to post any view within the rules. So if you want you can buy as many pairs of rose coloured glasses as you wish as tell us all about it!
And the news I have in return is I'm not inclined to get into gutter brawls with keyboard warriors.

Love the club.
The club is not Bigfooty, nor this board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back