Do you want us to have a resting plan for remainder of the season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
3 games left and 2 games clear inside the top four. Do you want geelong to implement a player rest or management plan for the remainder of the season? If you do, what would you like it to be? If you don’t want to see one, explain why not?

Discuss

With the emotional week with Sel350 I think we could be on a downer next week and potentially have our pants pulled down. Yet if our form continues and we beat the ainters we could possibly concede the Gold Coast game and get the % lost back in the WCE game, but that’s flirting with form a bit. Beat saints then prepare them mentally and physically for the QF. That’s the game now! Sel, smith , & Hawkins potential rest candidates!

With the emotional week with Sel350 I think we could be on a downer next week and potentially have our pants pulled down. Yet if our form continues and we beat the ainters we could possibly concede the Gold Coast game and get the % lost back in the WCE game, but that’s flirting with form a bit. Beat saints then prepare them mentally and physically for the QF. That’s the game now! Sel, smith , & Hawkins potential rest candidates!
Do you think that stuff does impact clubs? Scott said he doesn’t give it any significance in terms of motivation, and I hope he is right.

I wouldn’t actually care if we lost 1 of the next 3 games, as long as it stays at only 1 game.

My biggest issue is players being fresh and no new injuries.

I am in two kinds about resting too many players because you don’t want to ruin the synergy and connection that has occurred with our game plan, but on the other hand you don’t want to have anyone below their best…

I would probably get Hawkins playing this week, if we get the win rest him for the last two games of the season giving him 3 weeks to get his back right ( if he does have a back problem). An hesitant to have him and both Rohan out the same week tho. Give Rohan Hawkins link up role.

Rest selwood at least one of the 3 games, also rest smith, Duncan… bit hesitant to rest blicavs as we have no alternative to his role.

Rest between 4-8 depending on niggles etc.

Flat games are common but when you’ve won 10 on the trot… then maybe not. Don’t want to be under pressure to win against Gold Coast up there… so get it done this week then think about resting. However pre finals bye is there so the synergy argument is strong. Good position to be in at the minute! Compared with our most immediate rivals .. Dees, Brisbane, woods they probably can’t rest players as they are playing against each other for the top 4 scrap! Let’s get it done against the ainters.. we owe them one!

"2 games clear inside the top four" is correct, but the consideration is far more complex than that. Finishing 3rd or 4th means playing an away final. While unlikely, it is still possible, and definitely something to be avoided if Geelong's host is Sydney or Brisbane (or even Fremantle if a whole lot of weird results happen).

A far bigger consideration is that this year there may be an added benefit to finishing 1st compared to finishing 2nd. At the time of writing, Geelong is on 15 wins, Melbourne and Collingwood 14 wins, Sydney and Brisbane 13 wins, Fremantle 12.5 wins.

If Melbourne and Collingwood remain in the top 3, then it is far better for Geelong to finish 1st, and host a non-Melbourne club in the Qualifying Final (possibly at Kardinia Park), rather than play a Melbourne-based club at the MCG or Docklands.

3 games left and 2 games clear inside the top four. Do you want geelong to implement a player rest or management plan for the remainder of the season? If you do, what would you like it to be? If you don’t want to see one, explain why not?

Joel should be rested but outside of him no unless anyone is seriously sore. Don't get too cute with our form and mess things up when we don't need to.

If things go to plan they'll all get a rest between the QF and Prelim, on top of the existing pre-finals bye. That's plenty, some will say even too much.

The last thing we want is going into a prelim with players playing 1 game in 4-5 weeks. I'm a bit old fashioned on that but I just can't remember it ever benefiting anybody, and usually has the opposite affect across all sports, not just footy.

The last thing we want is going into a prelim with players playing 1 game in 4-5 weeks. I'm a bit old fashioned on that but I just can't remember it ever benefiting anybody, and usually has the opposite affect across all sports, not just footy.

True, but the benefit of resting players is not just the literal rest.
It also means their risk of getting suspended reduces to zero, and their risk of getting a match-related injury reduces to zero.
While the discussion of resting often refers to older players like Selwood, Cameron and Hawkins are more important because their replacements (Rohan, SavRat, Neale) aren't anywhere as good. Whereas Selwood is just one of many midfielders.

If Melbourne and Collingwood remain in the top 3, then it is far better for Geelong to finish 1st, and host a non-Melbourne club in the Qualifying Final (possibly at Kardinia Park), rather than play a Melbourne-based club at the MCG or Docklands.
No final will ever be played at marvel again (unless hosted by dogs, north or saints)

No KP finals this year with the redevelopment

I liked many weeks ago when Scott said we would implement an approach that sees us ready to go in September and if that meant we finished 9th as a consequence, so be it.

I hope we don't shift from that mentality now that we are in the position we are in. I'd rather finish 5th and be ready to go come finals than top 4 and wounded.

I always want to win but let's get it done when it matters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I liked many weeks ago when Scott said we would implement an approach that sees us ready to go in September and if that meant we finished 9th as a consequence, so be it.

I hope we don't shift from that mentality now that we are in the position we are in. I'd rather finish 5th and be ready to go come finals than top 4 and wounded.

I always want to win but let's get it done when it matters.
I don't think there's any fan who wouldn't want to see them perform when it counts. But how much of that is down to the sport science and 'management' of player training and so on during a season I think is questionable. I mean, we've been saying it and doing it for many of the past 10 years and still looked flat when it came to Sept.

The one thing I'd like to see is us having a settled line up from now on and really burying some sides playing the style that we think will carry us through in finals.

I think it was Cameron Ling who once said that when it comes to finals, the added pressure means that players revert to basics, to what they know best. What that tells me is it's not the time to be changing things up tactically, or with new selections, or being too-clever now by trying different things, different players, in the hope that it will cover for contingencies. I don't see the point for instance of throwing a player like Ceglar in in round 19 if it is just to keep Stanley in cotton-wool.

From here on in - just get the players that have served you the best during to the season playing the way that has served them the best during the season. Get battle-hardened. In finals they'll revert to the basics. So just do the basics as well as you possibly can, more often, more frequently. It's not debilitation that will kill you but hesitation.

My inclination is to say rest a few each week for the rest of the year. We have the luxury that other teams don't, so we might as well use it to our advantage. There will certainly be some sore bodies at this stage of the year. If we can freshen people to help in September, I'd be all for it. Especially as we have pretty good depth and few injuries at the moment. If we've got guys like Parfitt, Menegola, Tuohy as the guys coming in, then we're not really losing much by rotating it around for a few weeks anyway. And then everyone get's some gametime just in case injuries hit and we rely on these guys come finals.

The counter argument is that a week off may not do much in the long run, and that team synergy may be more important at this time of the year. Especially as everyone gets a week off pre finals now, and we're likely to finish top 2 which would make us odds on to get another week off if we win the QF meaning everyone would hopefully get 2 weeks rest in a 3 week period leading into the prelim/GF, if we make it that far.

Can see the argument either way. Personally, I'd be inclined to use the last few weeks to rest players. Maybe not for the sake of it, but perhaps just be VERY conservative with management and if someone is in anyway sore/fatigued, then they get a week. Although players will no that spots are at a premium, and we've seen with Partfitt and Menegola that once you're out it's harder to get back in. So players might not be that upfront with little niggles anyway, which makes it even more complicated.

If anyone needs a rest, sure. I wouldn't be surprised if we leave a few home for the Gold Coast trip provided we knock off the Saints this week. Things like COVID have maybe helped in a funny way too ie Tuohy got a week off that may not have happened otherwise, so there's that. No doubt the fitness guys will be all over it, but the pre-finals bye is a thing so you wouldn't want to get too cute with the resting.

I don't think there's any fan who wouldn't want to see them perform when it counts. But how much of that is down to the sport science and 'management' of player training and so on during a season I think is questionable. I mean, we've been saying it and doing it for many of the past 10 years and still looked flat when it came to Sept.

The one thing I'd like to see is us having a settled line up from now on and really burying some sides playing the style that we think will carry us through in finals.

I think it was Cameron Ling who once said that when it comes to finals, the added pressure means that players revert to basics, to what they know best. What that tells me is it's not the time to be changing things up tactically, or with new selections, or being too-clever now by trying different things, different players, in the hope that it will cover for contingencies. I don't see the point for instance of throwing a player like Ceglar in in round 19 if it is just to keep Stanley in cotton-wool.

From here on in - just get the players that have served you the best during to the season playing the way that has served them the best during the season. Get battle-hardened. In finals they'll revert to the basics. So just do the basics as well as you possibly can, more often, more frequently. It's not debilitation that will kill you but hesitation.
A lot of what you say is right but my impression of some previous years efforts has been that we've positioned ourselves to be in with a shot just by making top 4. I think we've been conservative and that's why we haven't been good enough. We've played safe tactics and safe players.

This year, tactically we've been more aggressive, I think selection wise we've been more aggressive, playing the likes of DeKoning, Holmes, Neale rather than Dahlaus etc.

If players don't need a rest then don't rest them but don't play em if they aren't right just to make top 4. If a rest now means they are ready to go in a few weeks then do that. Be bold and aggressive.

If we are ballsy it filters through everywhere, including whether players are hesitant in a final.

There's been word that his back is sore, with the explanation that it's age, not injury, related.
I don't know, I could be wrong but I don't buy into that. I was at the game, 3 rows from the front just further up the wing from where Tommy and Mitch chaired off our fearless leader. Yes Hawk did look very awkward at the time but later when interviewed, he commented that it was due to Mitch being so much shorter than him, meaning that effectively he was having to lug an 86kg dead weight on his shoulder whilst being skewed sideways and not being able to lock out his legs due to the height discrepancy. I don't know about you guys but I struggle to even complete a few simple lunges without looking awkward and sore AF so I can't even imagine what to would be like to shoulder a whole human with bent knees and being pulled sideways. Again, I may be wrong but seeing him up close on the field as well as being right next to the bench I at no point got the impression that he was sore or carrying a niggle. Really hope I'm right but who knows.

I trust in our man management and our objective to have everyone as fresh as possible for the Finals. Whatever it takes.

However I'm conflicted on the state of the Team - we've run off 10 in a row and had to fight bloody hard in a number of those. Is it in our best interest to win the next 3 and come into the Finals Series with 13 in a row , needing to win a further 3 as a minimum? Are we that good?
I want to believe but part of me thinks a loss will freshen up the team without denting our confidence. I think we still finish top with 1 loss so no damage done there.
What are peoples thoughts - I need reassurance :think:

I don't know, I could be wrong but I don't buy into that. I was at the game, 3 rows from the front just further up the wing from where Tommy and Mitch chaired off our fearless leader. Yes Hawk did look very awkward at the time but later when interviewed, he commented that it was due to Mitch being so much shorter than him, meaning that effectively he was having to lug an 86kg dead weight on his shoulder whilst being skewed sideways and not being able to lock out his legs due to the height discrepancy. I don't know about you guys but I struggle to even complete a few simple lunges without looking awkward and sore AF so I can't even imagine what to would be like to shoulder a whole human with bent knees and being pulled sideways. Again, I may be wrong but seeing him up close on the field as well as being right next to the bench I at no point got the impression that he was sore or carrying a niggle. Really hope I'm right but who knows.

I have no reason to disbelieve what our fellow ppster said he was told, but then again I can't dogmatically say it's true either. I don't know his source.

That said, there were moments in the game where I thought Hawkins looked stiff in his back and lacked flexibility.

If, as suggested, it's just an age thing I can perfectly understand. There's days where you don't feel too bad but for an unknown reason your back feels as supple and flexible as a concrete wall.

I don’t think we’ll make many changes now. We need stability and connection moving into Finals.
Maybe rest Sel and Hawk for GCS.
All others unnecessary unless they are actually sore. Pre Finals bye coming up and another week off if we win our QF.

This week I’d expect 2E straight back in for Rohan. Don’t change anything else after such a comprehensive win. Parfitt stays as medical sub and replaces Sel next week against GCS. Anyone on the outer is just plain unlucky and injury insurance, which is as you’d hope the situation to be for a genuine Flag contender.
Insurance players are:
Menegola
Simpson (I reckon they’d love him in)
Narkle
Neale
Ceglar (when Stanley returns)
SavRat
Dollhouse
Higgins
Evans
Stephens
Stevens

Really good coverage!
Also, seems like even some of the whipping boys are striking form and justifying their spots.
I.e.
Miers
Kolo
Zuthrie
Stanley (dare I say?)
2E
O’Connor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I trust in our man management and our objective to have everyone as fresh as possible for the Finals. Whatever it takes.

However I'm conflicted on the state of the Team - we've run off 10 in a row and had to fight bloody hard in a number of those. Is it in our best interest to win the next 3 and come into the Finals Series with 13 in a row , needing to win a further 3 as a minimum? Are we that good?
I want to believe but part of me thinks a loss will freshen up the team without denting our confidence. I think we still finish top with 1 loss so no damage done there.
What are peoples thoughts - I need reassurance :think:
Each game is a new game. They don't care how many in a row, they just play the game in front of them. The pressure of winning games in a row is only present in-between games, when the players may consider that they are on a streak. It is more important/worrying for those who are not actually able to influence the game. Maybe it appears in the first few minutes of a game for some players - but then again, very quickly, this feeling will go, as the game is there and the moment is there and all you can do it play. You can't worry about a streak, when you are worrying about chasing a player or kicking a ball.

I think more important than being worried about being on a streak is the feeling that you are on, and you just cannot lose, even when you are down. The players would be feeling invincible at the moment - that what they are doing is working. And they will just want to keep mincing up teams up.

For me, it would be more concerning if they lost - and they tried hard to win. That would tell me that the game plan doesnt always work. It would be worse if they lost and they didnt try. That tells me that they pick and choose when to try.

I would always prefer that they go 100% and make other teams feel worried about how hot the cats and that they are looking invincible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back