Draft a forward, turn them into a defender...

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
I think even by Clarko's standards we managed to out 'draft a forward, turn them into a defender', last night.

For the majority of the game our back half included six of these seven: Gunston, Impey, Burton, Sicily, Hardwick, Brand and Stratton. All bar Stratts, were predominantly forwards when drafted, even Brand, who when drafted, was described as a:

Tall and athletic forward with excellent power, and explosive speed. His agility, awareness of where to lead and contested marking ability make him a dangerous target up forward. Has had an excellent season at Colts level highlighted by a season best 6 goals and 18 possessions vs North Adelaide in Round 4, also played 3 games in the Reserves.

Hawks really do reinvent the game and players...

I think even by Clarko's standards we managed to out 'draft a forward, turn them into a defender', last night.

For the majority of the game our back half included six of these seven: Gunston, Impey, Burton, Sicily, Hardwick, Brand and Stratton. All bar Stratts, were predominantly forwards when drafted, even Brand, who when drafted, was described as a:

Tall and athletic forward with excellent power, and explosive speed. His agility, awareness of where to lead and contested marking ability make him a dangerous target up forward. Has had an excellent season at Colts level highlighted by a season best 6 goals and 18 possessions vs North Adelaide in Round 4, also played 3 games in the Reserves.

Hawks really do reinvent the game and players...

Brand.......explosive speed.
Id like to see that.

He’s not slow, but i wouldnt call him explosive.

Wouldnt min seeing him tried up forward,but with Cegs clunking a few up forward does that make us to top heavy.
What does this mean for Mitchell Lewis in the short term

And the opposite down the other end with Langford and Duryea often left as our two players closest to goal when the ball was in our back half

Generally the better players play mid or forward as juniors
Gunston grew and went from junior mid to forward

When you're sitting behind buddy rough Cyril Gunston Breust and poppy in the pecking order you either have to play mid or back to make it

Doc was a forward as well when he came to us, Goo was a forward, Croad, Tarrant at the Pies etc

Turning forwards into defenders isn't something new

Wouldn't mind seeing Brand forward. Desperately need a marking/leading target.

And the opposite down the other end with Langford and Duryea often left as our two players closest to goal when the ball was in our back half

Doc started as a small forward too. I beleive as a junior Langers played on a half back flank.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back