Draft age raised to 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, thought this for a while. Might get a few of them to realise what the real world might be like after footy and prepare accordingly. Might also make them realise that you are going to have to do a few things for yourself once the bucks and sycophants are gone. Won't happen though, Vlad needs the players.

If they raise the minimum age to 19 there will be one very weak draft - basically the leftovers from the previous year.

Then thats their choice so be it, what about kids that cant even get to yr12, should they be disadvantaged in earning a living from a sport that they are good at? Also for some its a career choice.. Players can do year 12 when they have finished their footy career if they want.

because kids dont think this way, and you'll end up with a bunch of 15 year olds dropping out of school to focus on football. its this way that the AFL isn't just focused on preparing young kids to play football, but in life in general. if a kid decides not to go into year 12 it gives him another year in his apprenticeship or whatever he has decided to do, which will help him in the long run. for the ones that decided to finish year 12, it means they can start part-time uni in whichever state they end up in, if they decide to.

So Dustin Martin should have been treated the same way as someone like Luke Ball? Many kids have absolutely no interest in school by the time they are drafted (and haven't for several years). If you don't want to be drafted, or don't want to play, don't nominate until you believe you're ready. Pretty simple, I would have thought.

i understand what you're all saying, but the AFL's concerns for youngsters is more than just football based. the 'other 50%' that aren't doing year 12 are doing an apprenticeship most likely, and it gives them a chance to do another year in that, so come the end of their football career they're not fully un-skilled and fall into unemployment.

i understand what you're all saying, but the AFL's concerns for youngsters is more than just football based. the 'other 50%' that aren't doing year 12 are doing an apprenticeship most likely, and it gives them a chance to do another year in that, so come the end of their football career they're not fully un-skilled and fall into unemployment.
Or even worse yet.
Becoming mindless trolls on tv because there's no where else for them to go.

Lloyd, Darcy, Shaw and Jakovich to name a few. (How does Tony Shaw still have a job!?!?!??! :eek:)

IIRC, wasn't Cameron Ling leading a charge to aid this particular area, but after a player has finished football? Not to mention the couple of programs run by the AFL that help players get into the workplace, while they are still playing.
You can study/get qualifications at any age, but a football career is only for a short period of time.

As far as I know, AFL clubs make it a requirement of their contracts with players for the player to do something with their spare time, whether that's an apprenticeship/pre-apprenticeship course, some form of tertiary study, an admin role at the club, or starting their own business. So if a draftee already has two years of an apprenticeship under his belt, he's every chance to be fully qualified (or very close to) by the time a standard-ish 3-4 year AFL career has concluded, by working part-time and completing their trade school.

Definitely would not want to see the draft age raised to 19, I already think its probably too old for some kids as it is (to be fair they are the exceptions more so than the rule). The whole finishing school thing is such a crock as an argument. Plenty of kids have successfully prepared themselves for AFL and got great results, other kids aren't scholastically inclined, others may not be prepared to put in the work in their studies and that's fine too. Schooling is not equally important to all people and nor should it be.

Personally I'm pro-choice. Let the kids make their choice to nominate or not and if they're good enough then a club will pick them up and they can begin training in their career for the next decade perhaps. Its not like we have seen a bunch of career ending injuries for first year players lately or anything concerning like that. Most draftees get eased into full training loads so that by the time their 3rd preseason rolls around they are doing all of the training that senior players do. We already saw many success stories from 18 years olds last year, guys like Darling, Dalhaus, Gaff Heppell, Swallow etc. These guys came in and had a real impact for their respective teams, there was no need for them to be sitting out another year twiddling their thumbs.

Then thats their choice so be it, what about kids that cant even get to yr12, should they be disadvantaged in earning a living from a sport that they are good at? Also for some its a career choice.. Players can do year 12 when they have finished their footy career if they want.
Their choice then so be it?

Not even adults, yet you are willing to advocate a sink or swim policy.

Gerard Healy's comments in regards to Jaeger O'Meara tonight are pertinent.

Why can't a kid of his ability and physical stature play right now??

People bang on about the kids making the choice; but how is that the case?

It is the clubs choice to draft a kid. And if a 17 year old is obviously ready to step up and play the game, then so be it.

In this day and age, they are hardly going to draft a wafer thin 16 year old in the hope that he will fill out in 3 years time and become a superstar.

Natural ability and, conversely, natural attrition will sort out who does, and who does not, get drafted.

The AFL already has in place rules and programs to ensure the youngsters get an education, whether that be academic or practical, so this ridiculous argument about completing year 12 is bollocks.

Remove the age limit completely.

If you are a natural footballer, like O'Meara surely is, then no-one should have the right to hinder your ability to play the game at the highest level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have long been a fan of raising the draft age to 19 years.
It could be done in several month stages over 3 to 4 years to limit impact upon a single draft year.
I realise that some players mature at different rates, however the benefits outweigh the negatives.

Attrition rates in feeder leagues such as Wafl, Sanfl and Vfl would lessen as kids now not drafted at 18 would be more likely to stay on for the draft opportunities. This should raise overall participation rates and standards. The extra year of physical development may have an impact on lessening the number of injuries afflicting those trying to peak before 18 years of age to get drafted, like OP.

A combination of more interest in local leagues, resultant higher standards and greater numbers feeding into the growing competition can't be all bad?

On the one hand I agree, 19 is a better draft age. On the other hand of sick of f****** changes to everything.

As far as I know, AFL clubs make it a requirement of their contracts with players for the player to do something with their spare time, whether that's an apprenticeship/pre-apprenticeship course, some form of tertiary study, an admin role at the club, or starting their own business. So if a draftee already has two years of an apprenticeship under his belt, he's every chance to be fully qualified (or very close to) by the time a standard-ish 3-4 year AFL career has concluded, by working part-time and completing their trade school.

not sure about that, Luke Shuey has done nothing outside of footy since he was drafted, and Chris Masten and a rookie called Jeremy McGovern quit their apprenticeships once they were drafted. I would think if an apprenticeship requires a lot of manual labor the club would rather they dont do it as it might add more stress to their body than training already would. All I know is if a player does decide to do something outside of footy/in their spare time, the club will usually fully support them. Andrew Embley opened a restaurant and the club gave him free advertising, Josh Kennedy opened a business and the club gave him free advertising. Tom Ledger from St Kilda is going to uni in melbourne and the club is paying for all of his uni fees.

Education > Football

You may not give a s*** if we have a large number of people dropping out of school, but I care. A lot. And so does the AFL. I don't see this age limit leaving anytime soon.

How do you think the public and the media will respond if they lift the age limit and we have an influx of students abandoning secondary education? How do you think the parents of the children will react?

Education > Football

You may not give a s*** if we have a large number of people dropping out of school, but I care. A lot. And so does the AFL. I don't see this age limit leaving anytime soon.

How do you think the public and the media will respond if they lift the age limit and we have an influx of students abandoning secondary education? How do you think the parents of the children will react?

Seriously, kids leaving school at 16 for a crack at 'elite' football would be a very small percentage in general, maybe they should raise the workforce entry altogether to 19??
Apprentices, Miners, Coles and Maccas workers... mate the list goes on and on. At a guess Id say it would be around 1% of early school leavers do it for football. Its not a large number of kids dropping out of school, its not a valid argument at all.
In fact Id go as far to say those doing it for a crack at an AFL career that it could be a great career choice for some, kinda beats Maccas.
They also have the option to further their schooling if they fail in the AFL if that is their wish.

I feel the only draft restriction should be that the players have completed the minimum amount of schooling required in Australia, that being up to grade 10. Past this time, if someone's good enough, then if they want to stop school for football it's their choice.

However, if this were to happen, I do feel there would have to be rules that meant that if someone was drafted at 16, they have the opportunity to finish school to grade 12.

Or even worse yet.
Becoming mindless trolls on tv because there's no where else for them to go.

Lloyd, Darcy, Shaw and Jakovich to name a few. (How does Tony Shaw still have a job!?!?!??! :eek:)

I don't know what other clubs are doing ATM but I know Hardwick has put aside a day each week that you have to do some form of work/education and if you don't do it you don't play, with the sole purpose being that they aren't ****ed when footy is is finished up.

Seriously, kids leaving school at 16 for a crack at 'elite' football would be a very small percentage in general, maybe they should raise the workforce entry altogether to 19??
Apprentices, Miners, Coles and Maccas workers... mate the list goes on and on. At a guess Id say it would be around 1% of early school leavers do it for football. Its not a large number of kids dropping out of school, its not a valid argument at all.
In fact Id go as far to say those doing it for a crack at an AFL career that it could be a great career choice for some, kinda beats Maccas.
They also have the option to further their schooling if they fail in the AFL if that is their wish.

not now, but in this hypothetical instance that number will be much much higher. multiple people with your opinion have commented before with the argument that they can always go back and finish year 11/12 after football.

Who says the kids wont figure that one out?

"I might drop out to focus on footy, i'm rated in the top 40 youngsters in the country i might as well try and get better before i start my AFL career. I can always go back and finish my education later"

its this childhood ignorance that will leave them with no life plan when they finish year 12.

the average IQ of the AFL will drop significantly.

its this childhood ignorance that will leave them with no life plan when they finish year 12.

the average IQ of the AFL will drop significantly.

I left school at 15, I had no life plan.. I got a job, worked hard, I own my own house, I have two cars and a boat, lifes good.
I dunno if youre taking the piss, but IQ has nothing to do with football, or success in life, plenty of people who have dropped out of school have higher IQ's than alot of yr 12 students.
Richard Branson cant read or write.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back