Autopsy Drew Petrie... Really a Pinch-hit Ruckman?

Remove this Banner Ad

It really shocked me that a club picked him up as he clearly looked cooked at the end of the year. Previously he has played a ruck role but in recent years he hasn't. So hard to gauge how he'll go. As a back up forward I just think he's done as well.
I had it put to me he'll be used as a coach and kept as a coach post next year.

It really shocked me that a club picked him up as he clearly looked cooked at the end of the year. Previously he has played a ruck role but in recent years he hasn't. So hard to gauge how he'll go. As a back up forward I just think he's done as well.
I had it put to me he'll be used as a coach and kept as a coach post next year.
Yep, he's as cooked as they come. They should have just employed him as a coach if they think he's that great. But a rookie 34 year old - he'll barely play. Waste of resources.

I think you will find ruck knocks isn't a very usefull stat in considering how clear it is that Petrie is cooked, considering he hasn't played in the role very often.
Goldstein takes the number 1 ruck spot and Brown and or Daw play backup ruck/fwd. If Petrie's role was playing in the ruck at North and those were his stats I'd be worried, but he didn't.

That being said he should be able to pinch hit in the ruck for us if we need it. At the moment our ruck pecking order would be Naitanui (Injured till late 2017) Lycett (Injured till early/mid 2017) Giles, Vardy, McInnes/Petrie. Petrie is a low cost insurance policy for this season while Naitanui and Lycett have interrupted seasons.

The added bonus of having Petrie on the rookie list is that he also gives us insurance should there be an injury to Darling or Kennedy. He would be a ready made KPF who would be a better option than a young developing Matthew Allen and would keep McInnes honest.

He really wouldn't.

He's slow and doesn't really take the marks he used to, his whole output is down but his body seems pretty resilient still. He's OK for a backup by this point I think.

He cost them nothing and with Lycett getting hurt he might come in handy.

Why people think its funny or clever to deride the guy (or the Eagles) is beyond me. Comes off pretty pathetic.

Rightly or wrongly the Eagles have had questions asked over their ticker, particularly away from home. Bringing in a couple of senior leaders and good roe models like Petrie and Mitchell is a good move imo

He was clearly targeted as our number one priority and must have player to take our ruck division to the next level for the next decade.
A master stroke in diversionary tactics by the elite recruiters of the club.
Finally we have an elite full time ruck who can also pinch hit in the forward line occasionally if needed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He cost them nothing and with Lycett getting hurt he might come in handy.

Why people think its funny or clever to deride the guy (or the Eagles) is beyond me. Comes off pretty pathetic.

Rightly or wrongly the Eagles have had questions asked over their ticker, particularly away from home. Bringing in a couple of senior leaders and good roe models like Petrie and Mitchell is a good move imo
Here you go, even Eagles fans are deriding Petrie and themselves...
He was clearly targeted as our number one priority and must have player to take our ruck division to the next level for the next decade.
A master stroke in diversionary tactics by the elite recruiters of the club.
Finally we have an elite full time ruck who can also pinch hit in the forward line occasionally if needed.

Like it or not, it's one of the more stupefying decisions in drafting history.

I heard all this talk on on the radio about Drew Petrie being able to enter the Rookie Draft, where he's in his 30's and has already played a significant number of games. I don't know the specific rules and regulations involved, but it seems really odd that he was permitted entry into the Rookie Draft.

Can anyone clarify this?

Just goes to show there are no ruckman around. Geelong drafted a 25 year old from the GFL in the national draft.....allegedly as the Eagles were looking to snatch him as a rookie before Geelong had a pick....
There are plenty of ruckmen around
The issue is that clubs want a player who can play multiple positions, rather than a break-even ruckman who is there to merely create a contest

I heard all this talk on on the radio about Drew Petrie being able to enter the Rookie Draft, where he's in his 30's and has already played a significant number of games. I don't know the specific rules and regulations involved, but it seems really odd that he was permitted entry into the Rookie Draft.

Can anyone clarify this?
They changed the rules about 10 years ago
The rookie list is now a suplimentary list, available to anyone
At the same time they changed the rules regarding rookie salary
It used to be set in stone (with all payments outside the cap), now, a club can pay them what they like above the minimum, with anything above going into the salary cap

They changed the rules about 10 years ago
The rookie list is now a suplimentary list, available to anyone
At the same time they changed the rules regarding rookie salary
It used to be set in stone (with all payments outside the cap), now, a club can pay them what they like above the minimum, with anything above going into the salary cap
But can they actually play him if he's on the rookie list? I thought they had to elevate him to the senior list to play him. That means waiting for a long term injury or a demotion of another (younger) player before they can use him. Unless I have misunderstood the rules, this is a crazy situation because the purpose of rookies is to give them time to develop. Petrie is getting worse, not better. I just don't get this decision. If they see him as a role player, why pick him as a rookie? Why not draft him as a free agent and select a young player as a rookie?

My word is Simmo and Rawlings just wanted a mate over as they are sick of West Australians whinging about GST equalisation.

Yep, he's as cooked as they come. They should have just employed him as a coach if they think he's that great. But a rookie 34 year old - he'll barely play. Waste of resources.

If one of Vardy or Giles goes down he'll be considered (the former being quite probable). McInnes is shit and we know what's happening with NN and Lycett. Rookie spot costs barely anything, didn't trade anyone or any pick for him either.

Better than some 18 year old skinny rake.

I reckon he will play mainly as a kpf. Allowing Darling to play a third tall role in the way Tom Lynch does at Adelaide.

We all know he had a bad season last yr and the question is has he fallen off the cliff. Well no one knows the answer to that until he plays next yr.
Personally for a club who obviously considers themselves in a premiership window taking Petrie for nothing and also taking mitchell for a song can only be a good thing.
Prior to this yr in Petries previous 5 seasons he averaged 49.2 goals a season. If last yr was an aberration then wce have picked up a 50 goal fwd i dont know any club who would sneeze at that.
Wce dont really have a young key fwd to bring in while in the window, they basically have Kennedy KPP and Darling who i have always considered more of a third tall type and a damn hard one to match up on. They bought in Vardy whos always injured and Petrie

Finally having made a G/F and finals again this yr does anyone really think they should not be aiming for a flag.In taking Petrie what have they got to lose as a rookie pick not a lot but if this yr was an aberration there is plenty to be gained.

Opposition ruckmen would be ecstatic to come up against an immobile dinosaur like Petrie.
Not if Petrie just takes the tap, the goes forward or spare man in defence, and Nic Nat is the mobile big guy. Saves Natinui from the rigours of the centre tap for some of the game but allows him to do be dangerous elsewhere.
That said, I think his time is up and he won't get a game unless WC get a bad injury run to key position players. Even then, probably better off looking ahead as it would signal an end to any 2017 flag hopes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back