What the heck? Eddies comments re coin toss

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s not about being offended.

It’s about Eddie being an insensitive prick. I mean seriously. She is literally standing there with a walking stick and the umpire appears to be helping her stay balanced. He clearly was watching the coin toss so what sort of moron would watch someone clearly disabled struggle with the toss and then make a stupid joke about it?

Just another one of Eddie’s typical dumb “jokes”. He is a buffoon.

AFL at fault here for failure to undertake a proper risk assessment.

Should have required her to take a seat to toss a coin given she was unable to stand unassited.

And what about the risk to the umps & captains from an unguided coin being recklessly tossed around in close proximity?

OH & S would have a field day with this.

In fairness to Ed, most coin tosses are laughably s**t and he was referring to its history and not last night's toss specifically, however Ed picked the exact wrong moment to drop that observation!

Were he to say it when it was some rando supporter who's Dad is probably a sponsor, then I doubt it would be first article on The Age website, or even discussed.

Luckily for us, you've never come onto Big Footy and made offensive about a Richmond footballer's ability or that of an opposition player.

If you had, I guess that would make you a dick.

Haha flawless argument that. Criticing someone based on their ability to kick a ball is totally the same as making prejudiced stereotypes based on someones biological make up hey

Last edited:
Eddie strikes again...two year ban like the Tigers bogan this week. However, Eddie's record - Drowning Women, King Kong etc means there are different rules for him.
So you're comparing someone king-hitting someone (potentially leading to brain damage or death), to an off-hand comment about a coin toss.

Tell me, have you ever heard disabled people criticise able-bodied people for treating them differently, sparing their feelings? I have.

You know snowflakes, there are these buttons on the remote control (most modern TV's have them) allowing you to turn the sound off if you hear something that triggers you, and there's another one that allows you to turn the channel over and watch something more palatable to your delicate sensibilities.

Haha flawless argument that. Criticing someone based on their ability to kick a ball is totally the same as making prejudiced sterotypes based on someones biological make up hey

Dunno, you're the one that's talking about making offensive comments about someone's ability. You never gave it any context or qualifiers.

There's a certain show-biz pizazz to a coin toss in front of the camera. She didn't have it.
Maybe someone could post the requirements for a "proper" coin toss......ie preferred height, rotation speed, angle, landing position etc.....maybe someone could obtain them from McGuire?

So you're comparing someone king-hitting someone (potentially leading to brain damage or death), to an off-hand comment about a coin toss.

Tell me, have you ever heard disabled people criticise able-bodied people for treating them differently, sparing their feelings? I have.

You know snowflakes, there are these buttons on the remote control (most modern TV's have them) allowing you to turn the sound off if you hear something that triggers you, and there's another one that allows you to turn the channel over and watch something more palatable to your delicate sensibilities.
So everything I mentioned is ok by you......I agree most tv's have a remote but I guess you have get up and switch channels on your old black and white tv. Your living in 1950s.

It's a big moment for people to be out in the centre doing the coin toss I would imagine.

Despite whether said coin toss is aesthetically pleasing or not, surely it wouldn't be too hard for the morons in the commentary box (be they McGuire or anyone else) just to shut up and let the person concerned enjoy their moment in the sun?

By the way wasn't referring to king hit merchant. I was refering to monkey comment towards Liam Ryan - guess that news will get to you in due course.

Maybe someone could post the requirements for a "proper" coin toss......ie preferred height, rotation speed, angle, landing position etc.....maybe someone could obtain them from McGuire?
The coin needs to be spinning so there is a visible circular outline and needs to go above the spinners head, otherwise it needs to redone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

was just a joke. he obviously didn't know she was disabled or he never would have said it (we assume).

apology is in order. let's move on...
Indeed, clearly the walking stick was just a prop........:rolleyes:

Eddie just needs to let out a small fart and the entire Sydney Swans club goes into meltdown

I thought his comment was spot-on anyway. Toss the f**kin coin properly. Have a few practises beforehand. The woman was missing her legs. Not her hands. She doesn't have cerebral palsy. So why are people tiptoeing around and acting as if she's incapable? Would she want people treating her differently to anyone else?

Personally, I find the Swans response to Eddie very patronising towards the woman they're supposedly defending. She's a big girl. She can handle herself. But Eddie occupies rent inside their heads - they think he lives to rustle their jimmies - so they never miss a trick to try to bring him down a peg and try to embarrass him in the media.

Anything to deflect from the reality they are 0-2 and possibly missing finals for the first time in years.

Well you know, coin should be tossed at least 2m high into the air, RPM of at least 100 spinning around the horizontal axis... that sort of thing.

Not that it is such a big deal in a game of footy, but so the toss is genuinely random and not somebody trying to make it land one way or another.

I’m not surprised this blew up, everyone getting offended on someone else’s behalf. He commented on the tossing of the coin, nothing more personal. Can see some people licking their lips at a chance to kick Eddie though.

I'm neither an Eddie lover or hater.
But the double standards in this country are appalling. Our public figures can't make comments but as a society it's fair play to have a crack at them.

Attachments

• images.jpeg.jpg
    images.jpeg.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 33
So everything I mentioned is ok by you......I agree most tv's have a remote but I guess you have get up and switch channels on your old black and white tv. Your living in 1950s.
Happy with that. The 50’s were pretty good. I’ve watched Mad Men on Netflix.
Wouldn’t have the thought police monitoring everything I say

Remove this Banner Ad

Back