EDFL Juniors

Remove this Banner Ad

The umpiring situation is only going to get worse, I was at a ground where the same umpire did all 4 games! really how short are they? hearing on the junior side they need another 40 or so and seniors 30 odd short, can anyone confirm? which will be highlighted this week with thirds and good friday games are all on the same day! Can only thank mr Kyte for cutting the pay of umpires, he wanted to save money he will now, as he will have less umpires to pay and clubs can save money by finding their own umpires across juniors and seniors each week. Good luck EDFL this is only going to take the league backwards. But who cares they are saving money!
These people running the league are clearly unqualified for the roles. Agree disappointing

As a parent and coach of junior football I certainly understand why parents take their children to the 'bigger clubs' and it's not about winning.
At the smaller clubs they struggle for capable junior football coaches, not just dad or mum filling in.
The second issue is culture and the level of respect shown amongst the club, especially towards juniors. I have seen first hand the standard of behavior around juniors be enforced, this includes swearing, smoking, drinking, abuse towards oppositions and umpires, fighting, etc not be tolerated and families moved on. This doesn't happen at all of the smaller clubs (not saying all smaller clubs condone it either).
So you are aware most of the bigger clubs concentrate on junior development and process, the flags are generally irrelevant but a nice bonus if they happen.
I know of smaller clubs they try to get graded low so they can win a flag each year. Integrity and understanding both lacking and the priority isn't player development.
I don't blame parents for moving their children, but the bonus is that eventually these kids come out being better footballers as they enjoyed their junior careers and will likely filter back to the lower clubs anyway as there's only so many who can play for a senior team.
I don't disagree with most of what you're saying here Towball in regards to the Big Clubs(Keilor/Abers/Strathmore) being far more advanced than the others... So yeah , easier to take kids there than sticking at your home club and making an effort to get that club to be the best it can be... You know , set the example to your kids that sometimes you need to go through some hard times, and put in EFFORT , to really achieve something...
Might as well make the juniors a 3-4 team comp and let these clubs have 10 teams in each division...

I don't disagree with most of what you're saying here Towball in regards to the Big Clubs(Keilor/Abers/Strathmore) being far more advanced than the others... So yeah , easier to take kids there than sticking at your home club and making an effort to get that club to be the best it can be... You know , set the example to your kids that sometimes you need to go through some hard times, and put in EFFORT , to really achieve something...
Might as well make the juniors a 3-4 team comp and let these clubs have 10 teams in each division...
My only issues with doing the hard work is you get considered a trouble maker if you try set standards at those clubs that don't want too.
Junior sport is hard politically and the path of least resistance is sometimes the preferred method as most families won't invest in the club when the club doesn't truly reciprocate.
Your point is valid it just the other side of the coin.

My only issues with doing the hard work is you get considered a trouble maker if you try set standards at those clubs that don't want too.
Junior sport is hard politically and the path of least resistance is sometimes the preferred method as most families won't invest in the club when the club doesn't truly reciprocate.
Your point is valid it just the other side of the coin.
I have seen some disgraceful behaviour from many clubs over the last 10 years as a coach (still coaching ) and a parent and you are dillusional if you think parents from the big three dont want little Johnny to be in winning teams or can be abusive to opposition and umpires etc. Its the promise and lure of playing at a successful side (winning) that leads to many boys changing clubs and that is what destroys the fabric of club spirit and mateship. If the edfl does not put limits on any club team numbers then there will be no other teams to play.

As a parent and coach of junior football I certainly understand why parents take their children to the 'bigger clubs' and it's not about winning.
At the smaller clubs they struggle for capable junior football coaches, not just dad or mum filling in.
The second issue is culture and the level of respect shown amongst the club, especially towards juniors. I have seen first hand the standard of behavior around juniors be enforced, this includes swearing, smoking, drinking, abuse towards oppositions and umpires, fighting, etc not be tolerated and families moved on. This doesn't happen at all of the smaller clubs (not saying all smaller clubs condone it either).
So you are aware most of the bigger clubs concentrate on junior development and process, the flags are generally irrelevant but a nice bonus if they happen.
I know of smaller clubs they try to get graded low so they can win a flag each year. Integrity and understanding both lacking and the priority isn't player development.
I don't blame parents for moving their children, but the bonus is that eventually these kids come out being better footballers as they enjoyed their junior careers and will likely filter back to the lower clubs anyway as there's only so many who can play for a senior team.
[/QUOTE

your point about majority of these kids having to move clubs to a easier level when reaching seniors is 100% correct.
Therefore why not stay where you begin as a junior.
The 4 teams allowed in juniors is a joke.

the points system was supposed to level out the playing field but it actually does the reverse because the boys who are a better calibre believe through influences that their futures are brighter at clubs like the big three and sometimes they stay and are one pointers and at others they go to another club and arent one pointers. That then allows the bigger clubs to recruit because they have room to point 2 plus pointers. Those without juniors must recruit and that starts at 2 points per player. How is that levelling the playing field.

the points system was supposed to level out the playing field but it actually does the reverse because the boys who are a better calibre believe through influences that their futures are brighter at clubs like the big three and sometimes they stay and are one pointers and at others they go to another club and arent one pointers. That then allows the bigger clubs to recruit because they have room to point 2 plus pointers. Those without juniors must recruit and that starts at 2 points per player. How is that levelling the playing field.
Exactly the points system has some clubs going are young talent so they will be 1 point senior players down the track. Some clubs known to offer $$ to juniors as well. 😡

I have seen some disgraceful behaviour from many clubs over the last 10 years as a coach (still coaching ) and a parent and you are dillusional if you think parents from the big three dont want little Johnny to be in winning teams or can be abusive to opposition and umpires etc. Its the promise and lure of playing at a successful side (winning) that leads to many boys changing clubs and that is what destroys the fabric of club spirit and mateship. If the edfl does not put limits on any club team numbers then there will be no other teams to play.
Not delusional, it's a fact, it's even written into the SOP's that winning flags should never be the priority for junior football.
It's not the promise of winning, it's the promise of developing their child and giving them opportunities down the track, that's the really talented children we are talking about here.
It doesn't help when one of those big clubs pays the fees and provides the kids gear if they come on board, thankfully this is a very rare occurence.

I do believe at most clubs the parents of one of the kids are the coach ( even the big clubs ) so the capable coaches may be negligible at u12-14-16 but the talent when picking 24 out of 100 is easier to find than picking 24 out of 40. Kids want to play in winning teams and I think that if the big3 u12-14-16 second teams were getting smashed every week in div2 they would demand to be in Div 3 to be competitive and more enjoyable for the kids. The Teams in Div 1 with less talented squads are in that same situation but dont get the luxury of going to a lower div so they end up having half the season getting smashed and the other half being competitive and having fun.
If you believe it is a culture issue then why wouldn't they go to another smaller club, the kids want to have fun and winning is fun. If you have seen the players and parents when their team is down by 100 points, the reactions are the same no matter what club it is, I assure you culture is more dependent on success rather than personnel mostly.
I have no opinion on junior development but the best way to see this is to see the kid in U10 4th team be in the U16 1st team a few years later. Making the best 3-4 kids better year in ,year out is natural progression which all clubs do.
Just my opinion and experience from afar.

Why are we now seeing water persons return to the ground as pretty sure they were stopped due to covid. No sharing of water bottles is a rule due to covid. Anyone know?

Why are we now seeing water persons return to the ground as pretty sure they were stopped due to covid. No sharing of water bottles is a rule due to covid. Anyone know?
What Covid. Haven't had a case for nearly 4 months. We've had 70,000 at the MCG and no outbreaks. We've had plenty of bans on sharing drink bottles over time. They disappear quicker than the enforcement.

All water bottle restrictions have been removed in both junior and senior football - so back to normal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All water bottle restrictions have been removed in both junior and senior football - so back to normal
Can you please show me where in the guidelines is say this.
I took a screenshot from AFL vic return to play protocols. Clearly says no sharing of drink bottles

Attachments

• 511D536F-3532-4CFF-A91F-5267EE18E9BE.jpeg
    511D536F-3532-4CFF-A91F-5267EE18E9BE.jpeg
    78.1 KB · Views: 44
One club being asked for availability for Queen birthday weekend to play on the Sunday as a make up round for covid. Any truth ??

In response to the big clubs, eventually there needs to be a suburban super league where all the big clubs compete in a big pond?
Not bound by location

I like the idea as I want to see talented footballers ply their trade against the best but that will only encourage the movement of talented juniors within a district to the bigger clubs playing in that super league.

You could have a promotion and relegation system however everybody can see how difficult it is to go from Div 1 to premier division in the EDFL, let alone being promoted to a super league type setup.

A region of origin comp based on a state of origin concept could be an alternative though, that will allow good players not in premier divisions the chance to pit themselves against the best if they are good enough to make the team. 4 or 5 games each depending on if the VAFA is included

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

As you mentioned it is a massive jump!
Pretty sure soccer set up like this and it’s more about appropriate level then location. The downside is obviously travel and grading accordingly.
But it seems to be a common theme that the biggest clubs are getting too powerful

Like an AFL club, local clubs need to get their s**t together off the field. And that’s not just finances, that’s building great cultures from U8’s and up right through the junior ranks. And most importantly, that includes all the parents.
Kids just want to play footy, and the vast majority don’t like the crap that some kids give out from some clubs that appear to go unchecked. Then you have the parents….I’ve seen plenty that are absolute nightmares so no wonder their kids are brats.

My sons first year in u9’s I decided to be coach, we played against Keilor and we had 18 and Keilor had 16. Usually we’d give a kid a quarter each to the oppo so the numbers are even but the Keilor coach said they’d play as 16 so we did. A bonehead parent came out onto the ground to confront me about how unfair it was twice, I pointed out this was a mutual decision between coaches. To cut the story short, the Keilor coach came up to me after the game and profusely apologised and said she would be making sure the club dealt with the parent adequately.
It’s not a coincidence that Keilor is a big club!!

And parents are quite happy to pay more, as I am, to ensure their children are a part of a club with a good culture. I know my footy club has moved on a few families that weren’t prepared to follow the club ethos and that stuff gets talked about when prospective parents ask other parents about joining the club or what’s a good footy club to have their kids play at.
I chose the footy club my son plays for after I spoke to a mate that captained Glenroy a couple of decades ago, I live in Glenroy so naturally I thought that would be best. He just straight out said to join the club we are currently at and who his daughter also now plays for. Speaks volumes I reckon as to why some clubs are big clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back