EDFL Premier Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Sometimes that club getting shafted is in fact in div1 juniors but they move across to get selected at jets as it’s heavily influenced plus they get $$ incentives.
So he is well known to raid the competition which is again poor..

Turbo, I would love to have a beer with you and chew the fat with your strong opinions one day. Whilst I believe some of what you post around what the strong junior clubs do is not correct and throwing generalisations out there, you are very passionate about trying to even the competition which is what needs to happen in some way in the future, but will take many years unfortunately. The EDFL don't appear to be doing anything or willing to go against AFL VIC to better the EDFL short and long term and small junior clubs will take years to grow their junior programs / teams per age group, if they can actually support junior team growth at their clubs as some may not be able to for various reasons.
I would like your opinion on what you would like the strong senior / junior Premier clubs to do in Keilor, Strathmore, Aberfeldie and Pascoe Vale seem to be heading in same direction. For the sake of the conversation, lets assume these clubs don't pouch other juniors as other juniors may just look / want to go to these strong clubs for various reasons without any direct recruiting from these clubs. Let's assume these clubs don't pay junior players or reduce fees for specific junior players to come to these clubs (Why would they need to) and let's assume their senior coaches are not driving around to other clubs or Jets/Cannons convincing players to come to their club.
What would you like these clubs to actually do from 2025 onwards
Do you actually think a business or a club is going to or should want to become less successful?
Let's hopefully have a fair open minded discussion Turbo if you are happy to, as this is such an interesting and important topic.

At the completion of round 3 it is apparent that the loss of Luke Goater, Bailey Morrish & Kane Testa from the Deer Park line up has cruelled them of what would have almost certainly been a premiership in their first year of Premier League. Nothing I have seen from Keilor, Greenvale or Pascoe Vale would suggest they would have beaten a full strength Deer Park line up. Further to this I see very little difference in standard between wrfl & edfl and would go as far to say that unless the edfl has fallen away then the flags that Deer Park won in the wrfl would have been a lot harder to win than any edfl premier flag in the corresponding period. The amount of ex afl in the wrfl over the period would be reflective of the standard being higher than edfl. EDFL is certainly a softer competition and that is evident by the impact the small forwards seem to make in the edfl. If Keilor is the yardstick with 4 flags in 20 years as a fully professional outfit with a huge junior program then it doesn't say much for the rest of the competition. The edfl should be thankful that Deer Park has brought some spectator power to the edfl because greenvale & Pascoe Vale have 2 cats and a dog for support.
Mad Max Reaction GIF

Jets list…
Good junior representation across clubs? (Not!)

Under-18 Boys

Hussein Kadour (East Keilor)
Noah Asciak (Hillside)
Lachlan Fitzgerald (Keilor)
Lucca Grego (Keilor)
Miller Harvey (Keilor)
Astin Hewell (Keilor)
Aidan Hobson (Keilor)
Kade Long (Keilor)
Blair Marsden (Keilor)
Keighton Matofai-Forbes(Keilor)
Lachie McArthur (Keilor)
Thomas McGuane (Keilor)
Noah McMenamin (Keilor)
Christian Olivieri (Keilor)
Massimo Raso (Keilor)
Darcy Weeks (Keilor)
Lachlan Fazzolari (Keilor)
There’s a few on that list from WRFL clubs that have been poached

At the completion of round 3 it is apparent that the loss of Luke Goater, Bailey Morrish & Kane Testa from the Deer Park line up has cruelled them of what would have almost certainly been a premiership in their first year of Premier League. Nothing I have seen from Keilor, Greenvale or Pascoe Vale would suggest they would have beaten a full strength Deer Park line up. Further to this I see very little difference in standard between wrfl & edfl and would go as far to say that unless the edfl has fallen away then the flags that Deer Park won in the wrfl would have been a lot harder to win than any edfl premier flag in the corresponding period. The amount of ex afl in the wrfl over the period would be reflective of the standard being higher than edfl. EDFL is certainly a softer competition and that is evident by the impact the small forwards seem to make in the edfl. If Keilor is the yardstick with 4 flags in 20 years as a fully professional outfit with a huge junior program then it doesn't say much for the rest of the competition. The edfl should be thankful that Deer Park has brought some spectator power to the edfl because greenvale & Pascoe Vale have 2 cats and a dog for support.
Guys this bloke is just fishing don’t let him reel you in

spot on turb, hillside and Keilor are the main 2 that have been doing it of recent, hillside more following keilors model in senior age groups to be strong all the way through and less with anything with their juniors as they have lost their good juniors to being poached by Keilor (km Forbes), Keilor do it through the whole club from juniors up which is ******* the league and makes micky boy the genius

played a quarter anda bit apparently, must of being going pretty easy and played limited but still only something Keilor or hillside would do
A very interesting take on a side who has lost their first 3 games in the division by an average margin of just under 50 points…
U have no idea what a flog the s**t that u come up with

Haha how goods this! DP couldn't beat Pacco with apparently 4-5 under U18 kids playing. Greenvale didn't even play finals last yr.. I look forwards to your upcoming posts on here Longblow.

Turbo, I would love to have a beer with you and chew the fat with your strong opinions one day. Whilst I believe some of what you post around what the strong junior clubs do is not correct and throwing generalisations out there, you are very passionate about trying to even the competition which is what needs to happen in some way in the future, but will take many years unfortunately. The EDFL don't appear to be doing anything or willing to go against AFL VIC to better the EDFL short and long term and small junior clubs will take years to grow their junior programs / teams per age group, if they can actually support junior team growth at their clubs as some may not be able to for various reasons.
I would like your opinion on what you would like the strong senior / junior Premier clubs to do in Keilor, Strathmore, Aberfeldie and Pascoe Vale seem to be heading in same direction. For the sake of the conversation, lets assume these clubs don't pouch other juniors as other juniors may just look / want to go to these strong clubs for various reasons without any direct recruiting from these clubs. Let's assume these clubs don't pay junior players or reduce fees for specific junior players to come to these clubs (Why would they need to) and let's assume their senior coaches are not driving around to other clubs or Jets/Cannons convincing players to come to their club.
What would you like these clubs to actually do from 2025 onwards
Do you actually think a business or a club is going to or should want to become less successful?
Let's hopefully have a fair open minded discussion Turbo if you are happy to, as this is such an interesting and important topic.
Hey mate, trust your well and appreciate the post.

I would like to see a junior points system be introduced and immediately implemented and it takes into account current juniors who have moved clubs.

I would like to see that if a junior player has started at club A and moved to club B that once he turns to seniors his a 1 pointer at club A but goes to a 3 pointer at club B. No matter how many games or years his played at club B. It’s where you start your initial years in 10s and 12s where your a 1 pointer come senior footy.
*This might see a change in attitude..

Employ a person to oversee junior footy and where it can improve. Numbers are declining. It’s fine to lose but seeing junior teams not score is not a great advertisement to keep kids in junior footy.

General comments:
I don’t like teams A sides playing a teams C side. This can occur when a lower clubs side plays a higher clubs 3rds side. It’s fine if you had coaches that would educate kids but seen far too much bullying occurring and coaches NOT doing anything to rectify the situations. This can see less ability kids leave the sport of footy.

I would hope these clubs invest into their own juniors and develop within. That’s a great challenge for clubs/coaches. And want to be challenged on the field rather than recruit/poach the best opposition players, which inturn creates poor competition and false hope to certain juniors who might dominate in a team that wins each week but once they come up to higher footy ( yes they might get selected) and equal competition they cannot compete. It’s really giving the player and easy ride yet false hopes long term.

Cheers
Turbo

EK have had a crowd in the far forward pocket for years. One of the old blokes backyard has a back gate just near the 50m. I always assume them guys brought from the club, poor form if they don’t.

I’ll have some of what you’re having! Sounds good gear

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha how goods this! DP couldn't beat Pacco with apparently 4-5 under U18 kids playing. Greenvale didn't even play finals last yr.. I look forwards to your upcoming posts on here Longblow.
6 U/18’s played, few players suffering flu, even the coach had it and wasn’t there
Once the Pacco crew left the clubrooms
There was only a handful of people left!! Supporters left straight after the siren 😂😂😂 great loyal people at DP…… not…
Welcome to premier Div…..

DP plays the other two winless teams in the next two weeks, lets see what happens. If they lose these two games I would think we wouldn't hear from Deer Park supports anymore...on the flip side if they win they will be Premiership favourites again....;)

Questions: If DP finish bottom, I was told there is a rule that they can't be relegated in their first year, is this true and if so what happens? Is it the second last team that gets relegated, seems a little unfair, if that is the case.

6 U/18’s played, few players suffering flu, even the coach had it and wasn’t there
There was only a handful of people left!! Supporters left straight after the siren 😂😂😂 great loyal people at DP…… not…

Tudor had it, but coached from his car.

DP plays the other two winless teams in the next two weeks, lets see what happens. If they lose these two games I would think we wouldn't hear from Deer Park supports anymore...on the flip side if they win they will be Premiership favourites again....;)

Questions: If DP finish bottom, I was told there is a rule that they can't be relegated in their first year, is this true and if so what happens? Is it the second last team that gets relegated, seems a little unfair, if that is the case.
The 10th team is relagated, the div.1 Premier is promoted. No exceptions.

I can’t see DP being last as there list has to much talent. However I was surprised to see Quick leave in the pre season as he was at DP for a long time. Did he know something?
They also have lost Greenwood who was a huge out.

Unfortunately this is true , they stand on the opposite side to the clubrooms
Yeah it’s not ideal but they are from EK and do it at home games only. This can occur at a few clubs when playing at home. Sometimes cricket clubs go to home games and drink their own. Seen it at Marby a few times and that club is pretty staunch, but it’s only a handful of people.

it’s an interesting one this season as imagine if it’s EK who end up being relegated. They have a continue to spend to be competitive ( which is fine) but if they can’t compete then what can be done to create an opportunity for another club to beat the big 3-4?? Something has to give!! Is it now you have to head hunt a profile name coach at the expense of recruiting a player or 2. As I’m sure these coaches will cost you 60-70k. Keilor, Abers, Pacco gone this way. Strathmore haven’t but stay competitive but probably see how it ends up at seasons end I guess.

Seen some vision of Parkside v Spotswood, those 2 teams wouldn’t compete in edfl div 1

Yeah it’s not ideal but they are from EK and do it at home games only. This can occur at a few clubs when playing at home. Sometimes cricket clubs go to home games and drink their own. Seen it at Marby a few times and that club is pretty staunch, but it’s only a handful of people.

it’s an interesting one this season as imagine if it’s EK who end up being relegated. They have a continue to spend to be competitive ( which is fine) but if they can’t compete then what can be done to create an opportunity for another club to beat the big 3-4?? Something has to give!! Is it now you have to head hunt a profile name coach at the expense of recruiting a player or 2. As I’m sure these coaches will cost you 60-70k. Keilor, Abers, Pacco gone this way. Strathmore haven’t but stay competitive but probably see how it ends up at seasons end I guess.
From the look of it EK could be a good chance of relegation. Personally I think they are better off in Div 1 and concentrate on rebuilding the juniors

The EK supporters have been doing this for years, they use to have permits to sell from there, the beverages were from the club bar and all profits went back to the club. Not sure if that’s still the situation but couldn’t see why that would change.

Surely clubs know by now that spending big bucks to buy premierships with a multi-player turnover model doesn’t work. Need to sign players who will stay around for minimum 5-8 years and also feed juniors into the senior levels early (whether to play or train only until ready) so you have a good mix.
You need competent coaches with good football knowledge, good people skills and who care about the WHOLE club, and you can’t sack coaches every 1-2 years.
Need to get systems in place with the Reserves, U18 and U16 following a similar direction to seniors.
Continuity over several years is a better and more successful model and wont cost as much.

The so called big 3-4 can be beaten. Just get it right, it takes time. Get better not bitter.

Please Bonglow, hop in your stolen VH Commodore and head straight up Ballarat Rd keep going till you get to Bacchus Marsh take the third turnoff to the old Lion Park , hopefully a couple of the past tenants are still wandering around there and can put us out of our misery of listening to the complete s**t you have just written above.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back