EDFL Premier Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

good boy lachie_fazzolari for clarifying but unless things have changed i always thought the regions are mapped via residential postcodes and nothing to do with clubs played at or for

I dont play for Keilor they got that wrong somehow. I play for Pascoe Vale. The Calder Cannons are within the edfl catchment area normally so its only keilor players from the edfl pretty much that are within the area for the Jets.
Give it time, and you'll get a call from Mick.

Good luck with your footy young man.

SWOOPINGTIME

Hey mate, trust your well and appreciate the post.

I would like to see a junior points system be introduced and immediately implemented and it takes into account current juniors who have moved clubs.

I would like to see that if a junior player has started at club A and moved to club B that once he turns to seniors his a 1 pointer at club A but goes to a 3 pointer at club B. No matter how many games or years his played at club B. It’s where you start your initial years in 10s and 12s where your a 1 pointer come senior footy.
*This might see a change in attitude..

Employ a person to oversee junior footy and where it can improve. Numbers are declining. It’s fine to lose but seeing junior teams not score is not a great advertisement to keep kids in junior footy.

General comments:
I don’t like teams A sides playing a teams C side. This can occur when a lower clubs side plays a higher clubs 3rds side. It’s fine if you had coaches that would educate kids but seen far too much bullying occurring and coaches NOT doing anything to rectify the situations. This can see less ability kids leave the sport of footy.

I would hope these clubs invest into their own juniors and develop within. That’s a great challenge for clubs/coaches. And want to be challenged on the field rather than recruit/poach the best opposition players, which inturn creates poor competition and false hope to certain juniors who might dominate in a team that wins each week but once they come up to higher footy ( yes they might get selected) and equal competition they cannot compete. It’s really giving the player and easy ride yet false hopes long term.

Cheers
Turbo
Great stuff Turbo. Appreciate the response
Really like the idea of a junior player being a 3 point senior player if they leave their initial junior club at any stage I think.
It certainly has the potential to see players leave clubs once they become senior footballers if they are 3 pointers, instead of 1 pointers
Let's understand though that strong clubs do lose many players (U18's, Reserves or Thirds players) each year to other clubs generally in Div 1 or Div 2 as they cannot get a senior game and are lured by other clubs with money to play senior football at a lower level which is not always best for the players football development. The issue hear is the Lower Divisions then have the points issues with recruiting vs developing junior 1 pointers. It is not always only the stronger clubs poaching.
Could not agree more though with the EDFL having to take greater responsibility and employ more staff with quality experience in the industry to put greater concentration on the junior competition. It is no where near staffed accordingly to allow appropriate focus on this crucial part of the EDFL or junior football in general.
This may not go down well Turbo, but do the smaller junior base clubs have the ability, volunteers, drive or want to do all the hard work required to grow their junior numbers. It is bloody hard work to grow your junior numbers as it is a very slow burn to see the growth, it will never be immediate, it takes many years.
I am not sure you answered my initial question though Turbo. Let's use Aberfeldie as the example with strong junior teams in 3-4 in each age group - What do you realistically want them or expect them to do from 2025 onwards that may in your eyes help fix your concerns with overly strong clubs vs not so strong clubs etc?

good boy lachie_fazzolari for clarifying but unless things have changed i always thought the regions are mapped via residential postcodes and nothing to do with clubs played at or for
100% is has to do with where you live l can remember some young lads all of a sudden lived with their grandparents so they could play at cannons instead of the jets.

Great stuff Turbo. Appreciate the response
Really like the idea of a junior player being a 3 point senior player if they leave their initial junior club at any stage I think.
It certainly has the potential to see players leave clubs once they become senior footballers if they are 3 pointers, instead of 1 pointers
Let's understand though that strong clubs do lose many players (U18's, Reserves or Thirds players) each year to other clubs generally in Div 1 or Div 2 as they cannot get a senior game and are lured by other clubs with money to play senior football at a lower level which is not always best for the players football development. The issue hear is the Lower Divisions then have the points issues with recruiting vs developing junior 1 pointers. It is not always only the stronger clubs poaching.
Could not agree more though with the EDFL having to take greater responsibility and employ more staff with quality experience in the industry to put greater concentration on the junior competition. It is no where near staffed accordingly to allow appropriate focus on this crucial part of the EDFL or junior football in general.
This may not go down well Turbo, but do the smaller junior base clubs have the ability, volunteers, drive or want to do all the hard work required to grow their junior numbers. It is bloody hard work to grow your junior numbers as it is a very slow burn to see the growth, it will never be immediate, it takes many years.
I am not sure you answered my initial question though Turbo. Let's use Aberfeldie as the example with strong junior teams in 3-4 in each age group - What do you realistically want them or expect them to do from 2025 onwards that may in your eyes help fix your concerns with overly strong clubs vs not so strong clubs etc?
Cheers bigA, to answer your last point I think it’s too late as it’s completely broken now and the league allowed it to happen, as they stood by and did nothing.
So disappointing really but clubs now have to work with the young ages 10-12s and just wait. But once again if these clubs are developing and putting time into these ages we can’t have the better ones getting poached by these other clubs otherwise it just goes around and around. Must be rules and a clear process to stop it..

I’m sure if the league was to look at clearances for 12-14-16s over the last 4-5 years they would probably see a trend/pattern occurring.

What a load of bulltish. Bigger clubs didn't pursue the points system. It has a long history of origin and was bought in in nearly every competition in 2016 as part of AFL Victoria's sustainability plan. Whether it's improving sustainability is a matter of conjecture, but saying the big clubs were instrumental in bringing it into being is false. The problem with opinions is they are usually emotive and rarely based on fact.
You might find your wrong here.. The big powerbrokers were very influential in trying to stop the competition from getting better.
These clubs have fu&&&& local footy ad if you can’t admit that I’m sorry I can’t help you! Offering players 3x there value just to avoid an opposition club getting that player was and is totally unacceptable and stuffed the landscape, and we now have an uneven competition..Clubs ignored the salary caps to win premierships. Is that a great example. Still to this day certain clubs get treated differently and that’s not great!!

Yes your correct in theory but what irks me is years ago you get find a coach (possibly a young one) who might bring 4-5 mates or close contacts to join him and they could stay for years and build a club and juniors as you say, however the points system killed that method.
We all know that the bigger clubs with high junior numbers were instrumental in pushing this points system through as others were making moves and the bigger clubs were a bit worried. People in high places just ruining other clubs..
For example - How long can a club like Keilor Park continue on as they have no juniors. We all know Keilor are waiting for them to go under to assume the facilities as a second ground. Why try and stick the knife in instead of helping. If EK have lost junior numbers where have they all moved to??? Where have the kids from KP, APW gone?? I would like to see the edfl do some research on this as a starting point.
What rubbish. The points system was actually brought in for the complete opposite reason to what you have just stated.

It was to stop clubs trying to buy flags and encourage clubs to play ex juniors.

What rubbish. The points system was actually brought in for the complete opposite reason to what you have just stated.

It was to stop clubs trying to buy flags and encourage clubs to play ex juniors.
I will strongly challenge that any time. Do you see a more even competition since it came in. Answer is NO!!

I will strongly challenge that any time. Do you see a more even competition since it came in. Answer is NO!!
You would have to say it is working, last weekend being a perfect example of that, Deer Park list a 22 worth 46 points...would've had to drop some significant talent to bring in the Daw brothers (10 points),

Without the points system the Daw brothers would have simply come in for two 1 pointers (players that have either been juniors or with the club for at least three years) and they would be dumped into reserves, the points ensures that a team can't be filled with your Greenwoods, Daws, etc. and gives loyal club players an opportunity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only 2 players payments were cut in half and walked out,believe an asst coach has been moved on,pat put his fist through a wall immediately after the game,believe one of the silvangis not happy along with quick & Tyson old.
Wrong, a lot more than 2 players were reduced and incentives were introduced to a large number of players who base salaries were reduced by in some cases half

Last edited:
Wrong a lot more than 2 players and incentives were introduced to a large number of players who base salaries were reduced bu in some cases half
I was told after rd 1 players were told no one would be paid for that game. After rd2 players told only be paid 50% for that game. The percentage would be increased if performance improved moving fwd.

Whether he followed through with that I don’t know.

I was told after rd 1 players were told no one would be paid for that game. After rd2 players told only be paid 50% for that game. The percentage would be increased if performance improved moving fwd.

Whether he followed through with that I don’t know.

If any truth to that, expect some serious numbers to walk. I reckon that mentality works 15 years ago of " don't do your job, don't get paid ". These days though call it vanity or simply peoples personal budgeting in lifestyle, if you don't get paid what you were promised, People turn really quickly.

unfortunately you cannot play ex juniors when the bigger clubs with pull do chase the juniors with plenty of talent so they will be one pointers for a long time to come. Parents thinking little Johnny will be the next superstar are easily persuaded that a change of clubs is what is needed to catapult their son to the limelight. Reality is though it is very rarely achieved.
perception of what a Club may offer as well as $$$$ is how power in suburban footy is defined.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back