EDFL Premier Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow. What was allegedly said?. Anyone who cannot handle being called a name should not run out onto the field. Sticks and stones etc...
It was said right in front of the umpire. And not sure sticks and stones is the rhetoric we should be advocating when it comes to sexist/homophobic/racist remarks. Get out of the stone age.

Keilor have always had juniors from other clubs nearby join them when its comes to u16s and u18s because those players think they're more of a chance of heading to the Jets, its been the case for years, nothing new
So my point is surely the league should do something about this persuasion and enticement to kids.
I understand at 18.5 level kids might move as it’s a senior program environment and potentially the chance to play premier seniors. Plus premier 18.5 is good competition for the top 5-6 sides.
But at 16 and below it’s enticement at its finest and it’s utter poor behaviour. I think the league should start reviewing and putting time into these types of transfer requests for players 16 and below. And put in a system where there points are say 5 if they change clubs at age 16 and below when they get to senior footy.

I don’t buy into the whole Keilor jealousy thing, but to suggest they are under $120k is comical.
how many clubs would be under? most of us know salary caps are worked around at many clubs drop by a sponsors house on a Friday collect your cash change a lightbulb or mow the nature strip. get a tab voucher from one venue cash it in at another and so on years ago it was pay the partners to work in canteen and so on

But out of those 10 at the jets they are not all keilor grown juniors. If some were to play senior footy they will be 4 point players. That’s the issue the edfl needs to seriously look into as a way to even up senior and junior footy for the future.
Yes they are a destination club mainly on the back of McGuane who’s son played juniors and he coached so he seen kids from opposing clubs.
Keilor do pay a lot and let’s not forget what McGuane is paid. He would, and should be the highest paid coach in this competition and up there with the highest paid in local footy. It’s worth every cent though.

what mick earns (and good on him) is what keilor obviously thinks he is worth and its hard to argue from the outside. saying that its totally whats wrong with the victorian football landscape if mick mcguane is worth far more at local level than tying to obtain that brain at a higher level even part time. vfl and so called pathway clubs all utilsing folks to coach who most wouldnt bring anything of value to micks keilro box. yet they earn and secure roles after being interviewed to handle those who are meant to be on the cusp of higher opportuhity. how is that logical or has mick just not done his lvel 3

He obviously still lives at home and eats the groceries you pay for. Please explain the meaning of your statement " what the club is about"?
I just know speaking to the people that run the club and players money is not their driver. They have had many players leave the club in recent years to chase money they couldn’t pay.

You will find a lot of boys are good mates and just enjoy playing together where they played juniors together.

I know speaking to Josh Honey he had enough of footy at higher level and lost his passion for the game. He had many VFL Clubs chasing him but was happy to come back and play at his junior club with his mates.

He may go back to higher level next year and will go with clubs blessings. Thats what they are about.

I was there when my son first spoke to club and the opening line was if you want money we probably are not the club for you. It was more about supporting you and getting you back to VFL Level and try and play a higher level.

So my point is surely the league should do something about this persuasion and enticement to kids.
I understand at 18.5 level kids might move as it’s a senior program environment and potentially the chance to play premier seniors. Plus premier 18.5 is good competition for the top 5-6 sides.
But at 16 and below it’s enticement at its finest and it’s utter poor behaviour. I think the league should start reviewing and putting time into these types of transfer requests for players 16 and below. And put in a system where there points are say 5 if they change clubs at age 16 and below when they get to senior footy.
Spot on Turbo. I have heard stories of Mick poaching rep players via his son a couple of years back. Plus another junior from Hillside being offered free membership,merch from Abers (which he has declined) since he was 12.Disgraceful

Spot on Turbo. I have heard stories of Mick poaching rep players via his son a couple of years back. Plus another junior from Hillside being offered free membership,merch from Abers (which he has declined) since he was 12.Disgraceful
Thanks for your support mate. I know I cop it for being brutal and honest but it’s the truth. Heard of a player wanting to go there but they were more interested in his close teammate so it was if he comes we take you as well.
Also heard of a player who drives 30 odd minutes to get to that ground purely due to being convinced he has better opportunities if he changed clubs.

There is also the acknowledgment if kids get drafted that the club that put the time into him gets the recognition it deserves not a club he has gone to for possibly a year or 2 and hardly played for due to being Coates league player.

Thanks for your support mate. I know I cop it for being brutal and honest but it’s the truth. Heard of a player wanting to go there but they were more interested in his close teammate so it was if he comes we take you as well.
Also heard of a player who drives 30 odd minutes to get to that ground purely due to being convinced he has better opportunities if he changed clubs.

There is also the acknowledgment if kids get drafted that the club that put the time into him gets the recognition it deserves not a club he has gone to for possibly a year or 2 and hardly played for due to being Coates league player.

Any premier club that is top 5 in respective comps is paying more than 100k. Not sure why people get so defensive about it when it gets raised. You want to be the playing in strong leagues, promoting good standard of footy. You pay. That’s just the facts.

Its a great time to be a local player, forget $300 for working on the tools 7am-12. Kick the pill around for $500- $1200 a game. Good on those who get the chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm just glad we get to see Pat implement his game plan weekly this year! He has coached 17 odd games since sacking Rocky last year and has won 4 or 5 of them!

He owes Rocky a public apology - after all, he tried humiliate him publicly with his pre season comments

Lots of WRFL bashers on here, and unfortunately all you EDFL devotees can't see past the fact that aside from Keilor, the rest of the comp is pedestrian, and not much better than the WRFL. How else do you explain the floggings handed out by Keilor to the other so called challengers? Yes, in the past the EDFL was a superior competition, but now they've come back to the field. I mean, 'Premier' clubs forfeiting reserves games this early in the season? Can't be that good a comp can it?

I'm just glad we get to see Pat implement his game plan weekly this year! He has coached 17 odd games since sacking Rocky last year and has won 4 or 5 of them!

He owes Rocky a public apology - after all, he tried humiliate him publicly with his pre season comments
Pat said in the preseason interview:

"Implementing a game plan was the focal point of the pre-season – having no game plan in 2023 hurt us. Pre-season as a whole was used to educate the players on the way we intended to play.

Glad Pat has been able to implement such a great game plan for 2024. Watching the match on Saturday I could not see any semblance of a game plan other than Dennis working his butt off to try to get the ball to his midfielders.

The humiliation at EK is Pat and his coaching team (Ali).

Gee this subject has been going off and I’ve stayed away from any conversations as just be bothered really. But I will add one thing. I’m sure Rocky was appointed senior coach and in charge of development within the junior program. Huge role and he did seem to be going ok in my eyes. It was an unusual decision to sack him as the junior program has fell away in a big way.. Am I wrong or am I right??

BTW I was a supporter of Bongo coaching as well and that surprised me even more as think he was a senior coach in the making..

Lots of WRFL bashers on here, and unfortunately all you EDFL devotees can't see past the fact that aside from Keilor, the rest of the comp is pedestrian, and not much better than the WRFL. How else do you explain the floggings handed out by Keilor to the other so called challengers? Yes, in the past the EDFL was a superior competition, but now they've come back to the field. I mean, 'Premier' clubs forfeiting reserves games this early in the season? Can't be that good a comp can it?
Go back to the WRFL whoever you are

Go back to the WRFL whoever you are
EDFL is 100% over rated …the top club rape and pillage the poor neighbouring clubs without a conscience ……then brag about an elite junior program where they charge ridiculous fees to rank n file kids to cover the free fees and merch to get these kids to the club

It’s laughable !

Gee this subject has been going off and I’ve stayed away from any conversations as just be bothered really. But I will add one thing. I’m sure Rocky was appointed senior coach and in charge of development within the junior program. Huge role and he did seem to be going ok in my eyes. It was an unusual decision to sack him as the junior program has fell away in a big way.. Am I wrong or am I right??

BTW I was a supporter of Bongo coaching as well and that surprised me even more as think he was a senior coach in the making..
Lets face it, he was given that role as "Senior Coach/Head of Football" looking after the juniors because we all know who really was calling the shots...and Ali has the same role this year.
Rocky did not want to be controlled apparently, and thats why he was ousted.

Bongo has done a sterling job at Eltham considering the circumstances this year plus a flag last year.

I have been involved in the EDFL for 40 years , and I have to say unfortunately pushthecone is 100% correct

Remove this Banner Ad

Back