List Mgmt. End of season 2021 Delistings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is kind of the point with bringing in FAs, yeah? You often need to give them longer / more lucrative deals than they have been offered by their previous club to lure them out.

As good as Buddy has been for the Swans, it is madness to sign anyone on a back ended 9 year contract, and now they’re going to lose future A grader Jordan Dawson on top of the other players who’ve been forced out due to $$.

Dahlhaus’ deal looks terrible in hindsight but when we signed him we didn’t know we’d land Jeremy Cameron a couple of years later and the salary cap would be become even tighter (it was also reduced because of COVID wasn’t it?).
I have no issue with Dahls recruitment. I kind of admire his tenacity. If I was him I wouldn’t retire. He did that deal in good faith. Has never done anything wrong. Is very popular within the team. Dahls contract may have been 1 year too long but it’s hardly been the worst mistake a club will ever make.

It’s become the Aust way to just obliterate anybody that actually fails by swinging the bat and trying. There is no middle ground. You either win and are genius or lose and your a complete muppet. It’s got me stuffed why so many people care what the bottom feeders of society think? You realise that you’ll never win them over. A bloke that cures cancer will have done it wrong if you jump on social media.

Like Bartels take on playing kids with the old and gifted. Mentioned a player like Clark playing out the season with them to tweak what is needed to be in contention. Maybe we need to look toward James. He talked of Clark of half back for his run, that they don't have to all move the ball slowly.
Harry Taylor c h imed in re changes required too. May have been the addy

I doubt Bartel comes back with Scott still involved with the club. Similar story with Stevie J I think.

You can't just get rid of everyone so some people will need to still be retained on contracts.

Who is our development coach?

Not surprised Jarvis has been delisted. Had talent but was one of the most impassive players I've ever seen. He seemed almost emotionally detached from the game when he was out there. It was weird.

I doubt Bartel comes back with Scott still involved with the club. Similar story with Stevie J I think.
I would love to see Bartel say say something positive about the Geelong Football Club, just one will do.

Higgins is the only retirement I can see happening, but he has a contract for 2022. Dahlhaus is only 29, and we don't have any KPD depth so Henderson stays on.

Other potential departures:
  • Fort is 28 and has only played 8 games so I think he's gone.
  • Brownless is the same age as Jarvis and hasn't debuted so you'd think he's gone.
  • Okunbor is 23 and hasn't debuted, might get another year given his background.
  • Constable, Narkle, Clark will all probably look elsewhere.
  • Zuthrie is a 50/50, he's 23 now and still very fringe.
Stephens and De Koning really need to show something next year too. Even with all of these gone, we still have 15 players on our list that are 24 and under, with seven of those best 22, so it's not exactly dire straits.

Wonder if he would want to go straight into an assistant coaching role or take a year off?

Not opposed to Buckley or say Robert Harvey depending on where he sees his future - I know he's parted ways with Collingwood, but don't know if he has something else lined up
Harvey and Scarlett in the coaches box would be interesting

The exodus has commenced, some players have been delisted, Knights has gone and other coaches are leaving or rumoured to be leaving, Brian Cook is not retiring, he's jumped the sinking ship and heading for Carlton! Says a lot when a bloke leaves and willingly gets on board the Titanic? Meanwhile, the recruiting team are getting off the hook and it looks like Scott is remaining? Steve Hocking has his hands full over the summer? What is going on?

The wheels have fallen off?
1631582963937.png

Wonder if he would want to go straight into an assistant coaching role or take a year off?

Not opposed to Buckley or say Robert Harvey depending on where he sees his future - I know he's parted ways with Collingwood, but don't know if he has something else lined up
Harvey and Scarlo in the same coaches box could be fun :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The exodus has commenced, some players have been delisted, Knights has gone and other coaches are leaving or rumoured to be leaving, Brian Cook is not retiring, he's jumped the sinking ship and heading for Carlton! Says a lot when a bloke leaves and willingly gets on board the Titanic? Meanwhile, the recruiting team are getting off the hook and it looks like Scott is remaining? Steve Hocking has his hands full over the summer? What is going on?

The wheels have fallen off?
View attachment 1235319
Great audition for Footy Classified or a nameless Herald Sun social media content creator. Let us know if you get the job.

Would be shame if Kreuger walks - very raw but the ingredients and energy are there, just needed resilience and game time. What should be the minimum ND pick that we should hold out for him ? A late R2 ? Perhaps an early R2 with a Geelong R3 ? Good enough to bundle somehow with Clark for a late R1?
Be lucky to get pick 50, out of contract and hardly played

Not surprised Jarvis has been delisted. Had talent but was one of the most impassive players I've ever seen. He seemed almost emotionally detached from the game when he was out there. It was weird.
Yep, and pretty one dimensional game - could take some impressive marks but that was it.

It's likely that Cam T. will emerge in years to come; Buckenara rated him at 30. Jarvis suffered from the in-between size curse.

Rohan and Dalhousie need to go but we may be stuck with them.

Krueger will make it - somewhere - as will Clark. I hope we keep them. Clark could be our Bayley Smith - albeit not as good.

Hendo, Kolo, Atkins are dead wood but some genius at Geelong signed them up again; any new coach should tell them they'll be playing lots of VFL footy. Nic Steven may well play the first game next year and I hope Sam DeK does too.

I don't think we owe much to Brian Cook and questioning his choice to retire or go on if he's been made an offer too good to refuse is not in the best taste.

But hey, that's just my opinion.
After reading his interview in the addy today i'm kind of glad he's leaving. He's done an amazing job turning this club around, but some of his comments are head in the sand and completely contradictory to things he said when he started here. One quote from back then "we were great at being average". Well f me, isn't that what we have become now?

And then he talks about not bottoming out and still looking for free agents. Seemingly very happy just treading water. That approach has got us nowhere.

And I say that will full respect for him ,as we probably would have gone the way of fitzroy without him. But his time has passed now I think.

Cook did a 1st class job so did Costa - but you have to keep it in context - Westpac ( i think it was them ) they wrote off 4-5 million of the debt

If it was XYZ Pty Ltd - Westpac ( and any bank ) would have liquidated them

Westpac knew ( and the Geel football club were fortunate ) if they liquidated the Geel footy club - the backlash would have been enormous - thats why they wrote off/forgave the debt - that was a huge help to Cook and Costa

It is the case that Bartel, Corey, Rooke and probably others who were moved on by Scott won't return while he is there; I know that one of the aforementioned - it doesn't matter which one - has explicitly said as much.

After all, I suspect some of them were hardly 30 when they got shafted; only to see not many years later the club trade in Higgins (33), Smith (30), Cameron (28). I don't know how old Dal and Rohan were but obviously closer to 30 than 20.

Cook did a 1st class job so did Costa - but you have to keep it in context - Westpac ( i think it was them ) they wrote off 4-5 million of the debt

If it was XYZ Pty Ltd - Westpac ( and any bank ) would have liquidated them

Westpac knew ( and the Geel football club were fortunate ) if they liquidated the Geel footy club - the backlash would have been enormous - thats why they wrote off/forgave the debt - that was a huge help to Cook and Costa
Bendigo Bank I thought it was.

Bendigo Bank I thought it was.

Bendigo Bank took over the clubs Westpac debt as I recall. I'm not sure Westpac wrote off $4-5m as part of that though?

In order for Bendigo Bank to take over the debt, I'm pretty sure that Costa and a couple of others had to provide a personal guarantee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back