Autopsy Cats lose to Saints by enough to end our 23 Finals hopes

Remove this Banner Ad

My honest opinion is that if a player fluffs a kick or two early that's people's minds made up for the game. Or if your two worst efforts look really really silly, 20 decent ones just aren't going to redeem them in the eyes of a harsh critic frustrated at a struggling team. I even thought about calling it Duncan Syndrome this year.

This phenomenom would even carry over from one match to the next. Thus when Mitch smoothed out people needed to see 4 or 5 flawless games. He's good but he is no longer flawless. The way he hobbles around at times is ugly - "but he still picked up 25 useful disposals" , "I don't care, he looked like a lame mule doing it".

In reality 2023 Duncan once he hit his groove was the 2022 version but in a poor side.
Different angle now, IF Danger retired, and it's unlikely, would you like Duncan as skipper? Or Atkins?
I think your Duncan Syndrome is much applicable to players like Parfitt, Sav and Kolo. Some people look so hard to see them err, and if they do, despite some good things, it reinforces their negative opinions of them

Last edited:
Going to be very funny next week when, despite adding Close and Sav to the injury list, a decimated Geelong side still manages to beat the Dogs and keep them out of finals.

All things aside, definitely a year where injuries can be looked at as a fair reason why the year played out the way it did, but also the losses to Fremantle (x2), Richmond and Gold Coast. Within two goals of Collingwood, Brisbane and Carlton, beat Melbourne, beat Port. Good enough when even close to the best team was on the park and the care factor was there.

Loved what I saw from Bruhn, Neale promising, baby Zuth to another level this year, Knevitt will be better with consistent games, Miers elevated again.

Tuohy has to go, Duncan might just decide that it's time, and Ceglar must be delisted.

Not too worried about the future, and I reckon we reload again next year and probably finish inthe 5-10 bracket.
Understand Ceglar retired today…. I agree re 2E but not sure whether he does? Duncan I reckon will back himself with a longer break to have a good run at it next year?

Good, he has another year. Hope with a good rest and an earnest preseason, he can be consistent all year next year; after all, he's not in the Pendlebury vintage.
Yeah…but Duncan didn’t play basketball. 😯

full

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And who plays 2nd forward?
Good question if both hawk and Jezza out. Wow.

Could Stanley come back and play forward with Toby in ruck (and Stanley as back up if Toby doesn’t last full game?)

Ollie Henry will need to also play tall

Edit. I think Hawkins will play By the way

Last edited:
Different angle now, IF Danger retired, and it's unlikely, would you like Duncan as skipper? Or Atkins?
I think your Duncan Syndrome is much applicable to players like Parfitt, Sav and Kolo. Some people look so hard to see them err, and if they do, despite some good things, it reinforces their negative opinions of them
Kolo just makes me nervous every time he handles the ball. It's based on a body of evidence. With Sav it's more to do with poor decision making. I'm not so nervous with Parfitt but he has stagnated. Bowes worries me a bit as well and with Dangerfield you just have to take the good with the bad. Last Saturday night was the bad. We need to find a few players and the youngsters need to step up.

Re the next captain, Duncan would be fine but it would only be short term. Atkins or Stewart make more sense.

Happy with any of those players in for round 24 but I think Dempsey will end up the best of them and the others could all end up as solid players.
My preference isn’t saying Dempsey and Mullin aren’t good players it’s just who I want to see get selected first for the last round
Mullin and Dempsey will play plenty of AFL

I wouldn't go that far (West Coast are uniquely awful) but I do agree we're in real trouble. We've picked the absolute worst time to go down the ladder, what with the Tasmanian team about to enter the comp in only 4 years time.

There's far more pain to come, with the likes of Hawkins, Cameron, Danger, Duncan, Guthrie and Stewart all likely to retire within the next 3-4 years. I'm worried we'll hit our nadir around 2026-2028, right at the moment that Tasmania come in and compromise the draft.
and blicavs as well - haven't we missed him since he got injured

Order of preference for me is Conway, Clohesy and Knevitt is a given
Not fussed if Dempsey and Mullin get a game
Clohesy is nowhere near physically ready given his strengths are his inside game. He's just learning to compete inside at VFL level. Putting him against Bont and Treloar would be lamb to the slaughter stuff.

Mullin, Dempsey and Knevitt are way more advanced physically and all far more capable away from contested footy at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back