Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

It might have been said before, but why doesn’t Craig Starcevich take over the Men’s team as soon as the current AFLW season has finished (mid-November) for 2023 and maybe beyond (dependent if he wants the job or not given his other commitments), and then allow Emma Zielke (former AFLW club captain & current female apprentice coach at the club) to take the reigns of the women’s side in the future, as she most likely knows 99% of players well from her playing days.

Would be a hell of a lot easier to do that transition then having to find a new head coach somewhere else around the country in short notice, especially if is the end of the road for Fages coaching tenure at the club :huh:

His wife works in Europe somewhere. He's a fly in fly out worker. As soon as the season is over, he heads over to her.

Actually, this year is harsh for them with the short break between seasons.

Question I have here.

While Fagan is stood down, does he still get paid, and does his salary still count under the salary cap?

Unless Fagan voluntarily retires "for the good of the club", I do not see how we as a club can move forward with our coaching set up, until everything is resolved. And if things get legal, after the report is handed down, that's going to be years, not months.

I do not see how we could hire an interim head coach. More to the point, I don't see how one of the better options out there would choose us, if they are only going to be an interim head coach on a 12 month contract. Especially if we don't have the ability to pay them the going rate, due to our soft cap restrictions.
Their is always something that comes up in business that no one has thought of before
The AFL run the clubs and have all sorts of rules . The soft cap just one of them.
They could amend these rules to allow for unusual cases. Something could already be in place to cover this mess but unlikely
I eventually see Fagan unable to fulfil his duties as head coach going into the 2023 season. Time frames, enquiries, lawyers, AFL etc.
I could be wrong and everything will be sorted before Christmas
Fagan is contracted to the end of season 2023
The best case would be for the Lions to come to a financial arrangement and either pay out Fagans contract or just continuing his salary until the end date
Legal support costs for Fagan would also be something to sort out. Limits etc
The AFL should exempt the salary part from our soft cap. This would be the cheapest way forward for Lions and the AFL

The AFL would have to acknowledge that neither the Lions or North are responsable for the Hawks issues. So exemptions should apply

We could then employ either an intrem coach for 12 months on standard/good money. We are a top 4 team so someone good may take a gamble
I say 12 months in case Fagan has been cleared with no hint of being involved in anything mentioned in any of these reviews/inquiries

Or just employ a full time coach from the pool available. I expect it would have to be for a minimum of 3 years

Nothing is ideal and the club would have to be lucky to come out of this unscathed

Terrible timing- wonder if any of the current players are now re-considering there futures at the club given the uncertainty our club now finds itself in. Same for players that were considering joining. Nunez said Gunstan is a no go - wonder if its related to this mess re Fagan not being there compared to the BAU at Hawthorn.

Or it could be what bonds them............

His wife works in Europe somewhere. He's a fly in fly out worker. As soon as the season is over, he heads over to her.

Actually, this year is harsh for them with the short break between seasons.
Novartis in Switzerland. She has a senior role.

Their is always something that comes up in business that no one has thought of before
The AFL run the clubs and have all sorts of rules . The soft cap just one of them.
They could amend these rules to allow for unusual cases. Something could already be in place to cover this mess but unlikely
I eventually see Fagan unable to fulfil his duties as head coach going into the 2023 season. Time frames, enquiries, lawyers, AFL etc.
I could be wrong and everything will be sorted before Christmas
Fagan is contracted to the end of season 2023
The best case would be for the Lions to come to a financial arrangement and either pay out Fagans contract or just continuing his salary until the end date
Legal support costs for Fagan would also be something to sort out. Limits etc
The AFL should exempt the salary part from our soft cap. This would be the cheapest way forward for Lions and the AFL

The AFL would have to acknowledge that neither the Lions or North are responsable for the Hawks issues. So exemptions should apply

We could then employ either an intrem coach for 12 months on standard/good money. We are a top 4 team so someone good may take a gamble
I say 12 months in case Fagan has been cleared with no hint of being involved in anything mentioned in any of these reviews/inquiries

Or just employ a full time coach from the pool available. I expect it would have to be for a minimum of 3 years

Nothing is ideal and the club would have to be lucky to come out of this unscathed
Not sure the Lions would be responsible for any of Fages' legal costs. This issue relates to his employment at the Hawks. My guess is that he will be fully liable for his own legal representation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was giving this some thought last night and we really have found ourselves in a bit of a * sandwich here.

I think probably the easiest option if this is to drag out is to appoint an interim coach from the current assistants. Stone would be my guess.

I know we’ve spoken a lot on here recently about getting some new faces in the coaching team. I’m not sure if the club was feeling the same way, but if they were I wonder if this curveball has changed their opinion a bit.

Alternatively we hold him to the his contract, he plays 22 games finds a permanent spot in the team and extends. Or he’s proven at the level and we get better compo.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

All these hypotheticals are fine, but I can only see Robertson leaving if we want to trade him. He is keen to stay.

Question I have here.

While Fagan is stood down, does he still get paid, and does his salary still count under the salary cap?

Unless Fagan voluntarily retires "for the good of the club", I do not see how we as a club can move forward with our coaching set up, until everything is resolved. And if things get legal, after the report is handed down, that's going to be years, not months.

I do not see how we could hire an interim head coach. More to the point, I don't see how one of the better options out there would choose us, if they are only going to be an interim head coach on a 12 month contract. Especially if we don't have the ability to pay them the going rate, due to our soft cap restrictions.
I'm sure the club would be applying to the AFL for some form of soft cap exemption due to the unique circumstances, and the same would go for North. You can't handicap 2 teams for (worse case) part or all of a season because of anonymous accusations at another club.

As others have said this is likely to drag on for months, if not years now with court looking the likely outcome whatever the findings are (innocent or otherwise).

Would Fages be able to continue in the job if he commenced defamation proceedings against the ABC (for example) IF he was found not guilty from the independent review or is that something that would be too big playing out in the background to then expect him to be in charge of a football team as well?

Not sure the Lions would be responsible for any of Fages' legal costs. This issue relates to his employment at the Hawks. My guess is that he will be fully liable for his own legal representation.
Could very well be the case
But at the moment he is a Lions employee so entitled to some protection for now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back