Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

I have no intel but can't see any other option than Stone if we appoint an interim . We've made it clear publicly that Fagan is our coach and we're waiting on him to clear his name.

Fwiiw I think anyone who gets Brad Scott will improve next year and I'd be stoked if he came on board but just can't see it happening on anything that is presently in the public arena.

I think it'll be a surprise like Jed

Jed Adcock as interim.

That's certainly surprise a few on here.

Might take the heat out of the Hawthorn saga for a day or two.

There is so much we don't know. Someone like Stone mightn't want the role. Or Jed. It's a big step up in profile and responsibility.
I think we are on the cusp of massive change in the way coach's coach from right here. Not sure what that change will consist of but it will be massive.

I'd hazard guess that we will see coaches staying clear of the welfare aspects of players entirely. Their remit will be narrowed even further.
It's actually been coming even prior to the Hawthorn saga.

It also makes sense. The clubs already have welfare officers in place . Just expand what they're currently doing. More resources into that area with the coaches solely responsible for footy and not having to get involved into aspects of the player's life that they're not professionally qualified to advise on. Of course what's meant to make things less complicated can sometimes have the reverse effect.

obviously difficult in the midst of upheaval but does anyone see any changes being made to the overall coaching line up?

Still think we need fresh ideas, maybe a senior figure etc - worry that rolling out the coaching same line up and game plan will get the same results.

obviously difficult in the midst of upheaval but does anyone see any changes being made to the overall coaching line up?

Still think we need fresh ideas, maybe a senior figure etc - worry that rolling out the coaching same line up and game plan will get the same results.
I think fresh ideas can come from within the same group..if worth their salt they should be able to adapt,evolve and reinvent to get us closer

Chris Scott and Nigel Lappin voices going well !

I’m not talking about Fages. Your comparison is a complete miss as well LOL

The Cats completely rejuvenated their coaching dept and game plan. Scott attributes the GF win to this overhaul.

They sat down first day of preseason with a largely new coaching team and ‘started from scratch’.

Cats are the reason I think we should do the same thing.

I’m not talking about Fages. Your comparison is a complete miss as well LOL

The Cats completely rejuvenated their coaching dept and game plan. Scott attributes the GF win to this overhaul.

They sat down first day of preseason with a largely new coaching team and ‘started from scratch’.

Cats are the reason I think we should do the same thing.
Ah so you want to replace most of the coaches

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope so - and I know they are rated on here, but it'd be nice to do a clean sweep like the Tigers did all those years ago - move on particulalry the likes of Hudson, Davis and Adcock, and even Hahn - not saying you need instability, but all those guys have been at the club for years and its not gotten us to the GF - appreciate that is one of many parts, but still.

Ah so you want to replace most of the coaches

No, that would be unrealistic.

I would like to see us review our current coaching panel, who have largely been in place for sometime and asses adding and strengthening that coaching panel depending on who is in and out of contract, like every club does at this time of year.

Yes we added Stone for Daly and Bruce for Tapping (i think) but they were both downgrades, talent wise, IMO.

My main wish would be for a senior coach to come in to support Fages, Tigers jump at Rutten, Bolton and Leppa at the Magpies, Swans have Don Pyke and have just added Leon Cameron, Suns got Steven king last year, Dees have Richardson, Yze, chocco.. the list goes on.

I think we should add another senior head along side Fages and or look at a freshen up.

Maybe they think they have the perfect mix? this is just a loosely provided opinion.

With everything going on, unlikely it’ll happen this year as stability will be a focus.

I would like to see us review our current coaching panel, who have largely been in place for sometime and asses adding and strengthening that coaching panel depending on who is in and out of contract, like every club does at this time of year.

Yes we added Stone for Daly and Bruce for Tapping (i think) but they were both downgrades, talent wise, IMO.

My main wish would be for a senior coach to come in to support Fages, Tigers jump at Rutten, Bolton and Leppa at the Magpies, Swans have Don Pyke and have just added Leon Cameron, Suns got Steven king last year, Dees have Richardson, Yze, chocco.. the list goes on.

I think we should add another senior head along side Fages and or look at a freshen up.

Maybe they think they have the perfect mix? this is just a loosely provided opinion.

With everything going on, unlikely it’ll happen this year as stability will be a focus.

Why do we need a failed senior coach as an assistant?

Highly thought of by whom?

AFLCA best assistant (Chaplin) and runner up (Murray Davis) weren't former coaches
By AFL clubs.

Leppa definitely highly thought of by the Tigers, couldn't wait to snap him back up once we got rid of him, Port > Vossy, kept him on for a long while.

Bolton > Hawks.

Knights > Cats.

I just can’t see it broken like you(from the outside)considering the high achieving in the last four years.No flag,but personally couldn’t be much happier.And you are right Fagan needs his trusty incumbents more than ever this season.

Yes of course they're likely to receive jobs but it doesn't mean they're the best assistants
Doesn't mean we should actively avoid previous senior coaches either.

No real way for us nuffies on big footy to be able to judge assistants other than well run clubs keeping them on for an extended coaching assistant stint eg. Knights at the Cats for a decade after being arguably one of the worst senior AFL coaches ever.

Highly thought of by whom?

AFLCA best assistant (Chaplin) and runner up (Murray Davis) weren't former coaches
They got the senior positions in the first place because they were highly thought of. They were the best at assistant level. They might not have succeeded when they stepped up to the top job but that does not make them worse at the role they excelled at. Most of those guys when they have stepped back have continued to excel and I agree it would be good to get someone with head coaching experience in as the senior assistant.

They got the senior positions in the first place because they were highly thought of. They were the best at assistant level. They might not have succeeded when they stepped up to the top job but that does not make them worse at the role they excelled at. Most of those guys when they have stepped back have continued to excel and I agree it would be good to get someone with head coaching experience in as the senior assistant.

A bit simplistic IMO

I just can’t see it broken like you(from the outside)considering the high achieving in the last four years.No flag,but personally couldn’t be much happier.And you are right Fagan needs his trusty incumbents more than ever this season.

For the record I don’t think it’s broken.

I think it could be argued that finishing 5-4-5-4 with the list we have, says we might not be extracting the most out of our group.

It is widely accepted we are often outcoached on game days.

We also systematically revert to a game style that saw us lose againts GWS 4 years ago in that semi.

Our coaches have achieved good results and should be commended, that’s doesent mean I don’t think we should be looking to add a senior assistant with their own AFL senior experience or some fresh ideas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back